Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
Welp, it is with a heavy heart that I am here to say that I am considering selling my basically brand new Murmur, size large. I went into this project with one condition: This would be my last attempt at full suspension. I wanted steel (check), easy maintenance (check), and smooth compliant ride feel with full capability (double check). But this would be my one last effort at being satisfied with full suspension. Needless to say I think I'm moving on, back to simplicity, back to keeping me honest (and away from any temptation to hit that next gap jump). Anyway, midnight blue, perfect condition, just a beautiful bike, received it a month ago from Joe (7 rides total, less than 70 miles on it). I'm willing to sell it as a frame/rear shock combo or even a full bike (maybe), but frame and shock would be my preferred. Here's an opportunity to get one basically brand new without the wait. So if you know anyone who would be interested (stateside) let me know or send them my way......can't believe I'm doing this.....
New build

Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 12:10 Quote
Bummer. Hardtail life is hard to let go of tho....

Maybe sleep on it a minute ?!?

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 2:39 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
I had a shock mount bolt work itself loose and jump off my bike somewhere. Anyone know where to source one of the black cone-shaped spacers used there? Or what they're called so I can ask my lbs or hardware store if they have them?

If you are buying load spreading washers make sure the "washer" part is as thick as the originals. The ones I bought weren't as thick and one failed on a ride yesterday.

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 6:00 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
I had a shock mount bolt work itself loose and jump off my bike somewhere. Anyone know where to source one of the black cone-shaped spacers used there? Or what they're called so I can ask my lbs or hardware store if they have them?

If you are buying load spreading washers make sure the "washer" part is as thick as the originals. The ones I bought weren't as thick and one failed on a ride yesterday.

The ones I was able to find were pretty much aesthetic only. Fortunately reviews said as much, so I put them through some tests before relying on them structurally. They started to deform around 5 Nm, and split by 10, so I backed them up with stainless flat washers when I mounted them on my bike. I've only been able to ride once since, but I'm going to be keeping a close eye on that solution for a while.

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 8:14 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
fartymarty wrote:
lookseasyfromhere wrote:

The ones I was able to find were pretty much aesthetic only. Fortunately reviews said as much, so I put them through some tests before relying on them structurally. They started to deform around 5 Nm, and split by 10, so I backed them up with stainless flat washers when I mounted them on my bike. I've only been able to ride once since, but I'm going to be keeping a close eye on that solution for a while.

I've put the original ones back on an will order more from Joe. I did replace the M5 hex with Torqs tho.

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
Lotusoperandi wrote:
Welp, it is with a heavy heart that I am here to say that I am considering selling my basically brand new Murmur, size large. I went into this project with one condition: This would be my last attempt at full suspension. I wanted steel (check), easy maintenance (check), and smooth compliant ride feel with full capability (double check). But this would be my one last effort at being satisfied with full suspension. Needless to say I think I'm moving on, back to simplicity, back to keeping me honest (and away from any temptation to hit that next gap jump). Anyway, midnight blue, perfect condition, just a beautiful bike, received it a month ago from Joe (7 rides total, less than 70 miles on it). I'm willing to sell it as a frame/rear shock combo or even a full bike (maybe), but frame and shock would be my preferred. Here's an opportunity to get one basically brand new without the wait. So if you know anyone who would be interested (stateside) let me know or send them my way......can't believe I'm doing this.....
New build

I'd be interested in the cane creek coil il if you end up parting it out.

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
fartymarty wrote:

I've put the original ones back on an will order more from Joe. I did replace the M5 hex with Torqs tho.

Yeah, I checked in with Joe. They were a bit pricey with currency conversion and shipping factored in, though. I'm going to keep my eyes open for better ones, but I'm not stressed if I can't find any. I think my solution is adequate.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 5:31 Quote
Starling facebook is doing a giveaway for best bike pic. FYI

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 6:47 Quote
Hey - has anyone mulletted their Murmur? If so do tell.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 7:00 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
Hey - has anyone mulletted their Murmur? If so do tell.

I did. Enjoyed it. Great in the steeps and turned well. Definitely pretty low though, I caught my foot a few times. Still, it's a cheap experiment.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 7:39 Quote
Cheers. I don't have a 275 rear wheel but would like to give it a go one day.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 6:59 Quote
I assumed that might be an issue with an already low stance bike. My technique has improved a ton since owning my Murmur but I don't know that I'd want to drop my BB any lower.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 7:07 Quote
You can use offset bushing to raise the bb and also steepen the headtube angle to try and offset the smaller rear wheel. Most people use it to slacken the bike but I'm fairly certain you do the opposite, the only thing you need to make sure is the rear shock mount junction doesnt hit the seat tube when fully extended.

https://www.offsetbushings.com/

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007591
Mobile Version of Website