Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Author Message
Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 21:31 Quote
1 on the drive for me altho running older non boost cranks.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 0:38 Quote
Prior to riding the South Downs Way yesterday. 97 miles and ~12000ft of climbing.

The bike was amazing. Super stable on the long fast downhills and still able to clean all the climbs - even the steep techy ones.

Definitely a bike to do it all.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
Dirty Murmur after a ride.

Still obsessed with my bike and all of the looks it gets.

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 5:31 Quote
I LOVE how my Murmur looks. I'm starting to question if it's the right geometry for riding here. I'm kind of a noob. Prior to this I have an Epic Evo. The Evo was a better all-arounder for trails around here - Starling is worse for me on flats/rollers? I'm long legged so the steep seat tube makes it weird to sit and pedal. Honest opinion..am I silly for considering selling the frame to get something like the Evil Following or the V1 Offering? will the 1* headttube and seat tube diff make a difference?

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 6:05 Quote
belopsky wrote:
I LOVE how my Murmur looks. I'm starting to question if it's the right geometry for riding here. I'm kind of a noob. Prior to this I have an Epic Evo. The Evo was a better all-arounder for trails around here - Starling is worse for me on flats/rollers? I'm long legged so the steep seat tube makes it weird to sit and pedal. Honest opinion..am I silly for considering selling the frame to get something like the Evil Following or the V1 Offering? will the 1* headttube and seat tube diff make a difference?

Funny, I was just in your relative area with my Murmur a couple of weeks ago riding Maple Hill and Fort Custer. Really meaning to get to Merrell Trail sometime.

I think there may be a bit of an adjustment period if the bike is still sort of new to you. I had to get used to the geo a bit myself but I don't find it that sluggish on the flats compared to my old Ragley BigWig hardtail. Would a more "XC" bike suit you better for your local stuff? Maybe a little, but would it be as fun to take elsewhere for a big day on the bike? Comes down to your riding preferences and plans, I think. Living in Indiana I have to do a little driving to get any meaningful elevation to really push my bike on downhills, but I bumped the fork to 150 and it still pedals the local stuff pretty well. There are also some headset angle adjustments you could do to change things up.

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 11:25 Quote
CamShreds wrote:
belopsky wrote:
I LOVE how my Murmur looks. I'm starting to question if it's the right geometry for riding here. I'm kind of a noob. Prior to this I have an Epic Evo. The Evo was a better all-arounder for trails around here - Starling is worse for me on flats/rollers? I'm long legged so the steep seat tube makes it weird to sit and pedal. Honest opinion..am I silly for considering selling the frame to get something like the Evil Following or the V1 Offering? will the 1* headttube and seat tube diff make a difference?

Funny, I was just in your relative area with my Murmur a couple of weeks ago riding Maple Hill and Fort Custer. Really meaning to get to Merrell Trail sometime.

I think there may be a bit of an adjustment period if the bike is still sort of new to you. I had to get used to the geo a bit myself but I don't find it that sluggish on the flats compared to my old Ragley BigWig hardtail. Would a more "XC" bike suit you better for your local stuff? Maybe a little, but would it be as fun to take elsewhere for a big day on the bike? Comes down to your riding preferences and plans, I think. Living in Indiana I have to do a little driving to get any meaningful elevation to really push my bike on downhills, but I bumped the fork to 150 and it still pedals the local stuff pretty well. There are also some headset angle adjustments you could do to change things up.
I think you are right - an XC would be better for local, but not as fun to take elsewhere. Friend suggested that I need to try to try some low compression adjustments and see if that 'solves' the problem. His other suggestion is perhaps an air fork to liven it up a bit and drop some weight? IDK. I might sell my Helm to try a Pike

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 12:08 Quote
Anywho, my Murmur Trail. Shown with GX AXS but after my last trip I swapped for mechanical GX.


Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 19:15 Quote
How are you set up? Its the most multiple personality frame I’ve ever had. Lower it to 130 up front and 120 short sock .

Run it 2x140, 160/140,170/140 you name it. Dial in your zone and send it. Its everything from XC to semi DH.

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 23:46 Quote
Also slap some XC tyres on and shorten the travel (crank up air pressure in shock) and it's a different bike. I've swapped between air and coil (Pikes + Debonair / Coil Öhlins) on both ends and it does change the bike a lot.

I've had mine a little over 3 years now and are still figuring it out.

I'd agree with Sterling, it's got multiple personalities- I've run mine at 120/120, 140/140 and 160/140 and it's quite different in each setting. My local riding (Surrey UK) varies between flat to super steep tech - no massive elevation drops and we generally ride 20+ miles per ride.

Posted: Aug 6, 2022 at 4:20 Quote
belopsky wrote:
Anywho, my Murmur Trail. Shown with GX AXS but after my last trip I swapped for mechanical GX.


Looks like a ripper! I really want some new cranks and hubs/wheels.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
fartymarty wrote:
Also slap some XC tyres on and shorten the travel (crank up air pressure in shock) and it's a different bike. I've swapped between air and coil (Pikes + Debonair / Coil Öhlins) on both ends and it does change the bike a lot.

I've had mine a little over 3 years now and are still figuring it out.

I'd agree with Sterling, it's got multiple personalities- I've run mine at 120/120, 140/140 and 160/140 and it's quite different in each setting. My local riding (Surrey UK) varies between flat to super steep tech - no massive elevation drops and we generally ride 20+ miles per ride.
I've got a coil helm set up at 140mm, I can reduce to 130mm, otherwise I was going to try to sell Helm to get a air Pike..

How do I shorten the rear? It's currently set up 140/140.. 500x2.35 rear coil

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
belopsky wrote:
fartymarty wrote:
Also slap some XC tyres on and shorten the travel (crank up air pressure in shock) and it's a different bike. I've swapped between air and coil (Pikes + Debonair / Coil Öhlins) on both ends and it does change the bike a lot.

I've had mine a little over 3 years now and are still figuring it out.

I'd agree with Sterling, it's got multiple personalities- I've run mine at 120/120, 140/140 and 160/140 and it's quite different in each setting. My local riding (Surrey UK) varies between flat to super steep tech - no massive elevation drops and we generally ride 20+ miles per ride.
I've got a coil helm set up at 140mm, I can reduce to 130mm, otherwise I was going to try to sell Helm to get a air Pike..

How do I shorten the rear? It's currently set up 140/140.. 500x2.35 rear coil

Unless your shock can be shortened (IIRC Ohlins can be reduced in travel) you can't reduce a coil shock travel. I have an Ohlins coil and Debonair Air. With the air you just crank up the air pressure so you never use full travel. I guess you could put a bigger spring on coil to do something similar. But air is quite good wiht shorter travel as it's a bit more poppy than the coil which tends to stick to the ground (at least that's what i've found).

I assume you can't swap out the coil on the Helm to an air spring (you can do this with the Ohlins m2 - at least on the model I have - newer models aren't doing the coil spring). Otherwise you're going to need a new fork - If you can justify it keep the Helm (as I've heard it's a great fork) and get a Pike.

Also try some light(ish) XC(ish) tyres as that really transforms the bike.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Yeah so the number one issue I think I am trying to solve for is feeling cramped on flatter ground/rollers. I understand getting used to the steep STA takes time. maybe I try a slightly longer stem to get a bit more reach.. have a 50mm on there now

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Shortening the travel on your fork will steepen your STA. Reverse Components Angle Spacer will lift your front end 10mm and slacken your STA (and HTA) a bit for pretty cheap without affecting travel. Do you have room to slide your saddle back? I see you have a medium, how tall are you?

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
Shortening the travel on your fork will steepen your STA. Reverse Components Angle Spacer will lift your front end 10mm and slacken your STA (and HTA) a bit for pretty cheap without affecting travel. Do you have room to slide your saddle back? I see you have a medium, how tall are you?
170cm, 83cm so pretty long-legged


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007564
Mobile Version of Website