Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 19:19 Quote
Short shocking. Shorter shock length and less stroke. Keeps angles in line if you’re lowering the fork, or slacks it out if not.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 1:49 Quote
@belopsky - it may take a little while to get used to the longer reach. My arms / shoulders do get more of a beating due to more weight being on them when seated. I do run my bars quite high which helps but it needs to work with front wheel grip.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 20:03 Quote
Summer vacation made it hard for a stay-at-home dad to get much riding in, but after roughly 3 months off the kids are back in school, so I'm back in the saddle.

photo

Late last spring I upgraded my brakes, but didn't get time on them to get used to their new bite, so the last couple days I've been sliding pretty wildly through the local seasonal moondust while I learn to modulate them properly. But riding poorly is still better than not riding at all. And fortunately even when I'm cowardly Goldie's forgiving as hell as long as I keep enough weight on the front wheel. Though she definitely prefers I just grip it and rip it. lol

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 11:01 Quote
That's a rad bike. The adjustable shock mount option came up literally right after I ordered my frame.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 8:25 Quote
Thanks.

If you feel like you're missing out, Joe didn't seem like a fan of the adjustable mount when I ordered mine. I'm honestly a little surprised it's still an option.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 6:14 Quote
I've just bumped my Öm2 back up to 160mm from 140mm. First ride and it feels very different - definitely slacker.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 10:59 Quote
Do any of you run preload in your coil shock? I think I read a while back that Joe recommends running no preload with coil, but I'll admit I'm no expert. I'm just a little guy, 6'4" 175lbs running the stock CC DB IL Coil setup with linear spring.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 23:46 Quote
I run enough preload so the spring doesn't rattle.

How did you calc your spring rate?

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 0:08 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
I run enough preload so the spring doesn't rattle.

This!

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
WINGS - Our biggest hill is 294m in Surrey (UK) and I've run my Murmur at 140/140 and 160/140 and it works well. I'm 6'1" and 93ish kg. I've also done some fairly big "XC" rides on it.

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 20:49 Quote
New cockpit setup today. I swapped out my cheap, stiff and harsh 35mm bar and 60mm stem for a nice compliant 31.8 mm bar with 12° of sweep and a 40mm stem. I was surprised there was literally no adjustment period to the 50% increase in sweep. The stem's going to take a bit of getting used to, though. The upright position is nice for climbing, but on really steep downs I now feel like my head and shoulders are hanging off the front more.

photo

WINGS043 wrote:
Hi all,

Hope you are having a good day!

Been eyeballing this bike to buy for in the beginning of 2023. Since I am not the best in suspension and their designs I wondering how you guys would set it up for my home trails.

I live in the south of the Netherlands bordering Belgium and mostly ride in the ardennes Belgium which have no big mountains but is pretty hilly. So trails are mostly short downhills with lots of rocks, steeps but also a lot of pedalling. Think this video shows the downs a bit:

https://youtu.be/x8fdt5jz8mM

I currently own a Merida one twenty with a 140mm fork up front. I am a pretty big dude (187cm, 6,2 inch) and a fatty too: 95kg. I want the bike to be more trail oriented since there will be a lot of pedalling too over here and a enduro bike is just overbiking in my opinion. I was thinking air shocks front and back? 140/150? I am not sure whats the best... Thanks for helping out!

I'm running my Murmur 140f/127r on terrain pretty similar to that video. But whatever you go with you can try something else later. Murmurs seem to be happy in a lot of different setups, which was a big factor in my purchasing one.

Re: specifically trail oriented setup, shorter fork=steeper head angle=sharper steering and less flop.

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 21:58 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
WINGS - Our biggest hill is 294m in Surrey (UK) and I've run my Murmur at 140/140 and 160/140 and it works well. I'm 6'1" and 93ish kg. I've also done some fairly big "XC" rides on it.

Thanks mate! Sounds like the bike is really versatile (which I like). Think a 140/140 or 150/140 set-up is the one I am going for. Now checking if coil or air would be best suitable. Pretty eager to try a foil actually for the first time...

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 21:59 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
New cockpit setup today. I swapped out my cheap, stiff and harsh 35mm bar and 60mm stem for a nice compliant 31.8 mm bar with 12° of sweep and a 40mm stem. I was surprised there was literally no adjustment period to the 50% increase in sweep. The stem's going to take a bit of getting used to, though. The upright position is nice for climbing, but on really steep downs I now feel like my head and shoulders are hanging off the front more.

photo

WINGS043 wrote:
Hi all,

Hope you are having a good day!

Been eyeballing this bike to buy for in the beginning of 2023. Since I am not the best in suspension and their designs I wondering how you guys would set it up for my home trails.

I live in the south of the Netherlands bordering Belgium and mostly ride in the ardennes Belgium which have no big mountains but is pretty hilly. So trails are mostly short downhills with lots of rocks, steeps but also a lot of pedalling. Think this video shows the downs a bit:

https://youtu.be/x8fdt5jz8mM

I currently own a Merida one twenty with a 140mm fork up front. I am a pretty big dude (187cm, 6,2 inch) and a fatty too: 95kg. I want the bike to be more trail oriented since there will be a lot of pedalling too over here and a enduro bike is just overbiking in my opinion. I was thinking air shocks front and back? 140/150? I am not sure whats the best... Thanks for helping out!

I'm running my Murmur 140f/127r on terrain pretty similar to that video. But whatever you go with you can try something else later. Murmurs seem to be happy in a lot of different setups, which was a big factor in my purchasing one.

Re: specifically trail oriented setup, shorter fork=steeper head angle=sharper steering and less flop.

Thanks for the help! Just saw a vid of someone with a murmer in midnight Blue with a white coil in the back on yt.. Think it is from someone on this forum. That bike looks sick!

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 0:35 Quote
"New cockpit setup today."

photo

SQ Labs 12 degrees? I'm running SQ 16s on my HT and Ergotec 12s on my Murmur and wouldn't go back to a straighter bar.

Lovin' the yellow / blue colour combo.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014867
Mobile Version of Website