Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Author Message
O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
What was the customs wait like for everyone US based? Starting to get a bit worried!

Posted: Nov 1, 2022 at 12:50 Quote
trioofchaos wrote:
What was the customs wait like for everyone US based? Starting to get a bit worried!

Just got mine in after 7 days in transit in total. I think it was only held up in customs for about 12 hours (in New York customs).

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
maximumunicorn wrote:
trioofchaos wrote:
What was the customs wait like for everyone US based? Starting to get a bit worried!

Just got mine in after 7 days in transit in total. I think it was only held up in customs for about 12 hours (in New York customs).

Bummer, I am on a week in customs alone. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a headache.

Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 5:38 Quote
Yeah, no real wait on my frame in 2020. I expected to pay for importing it, too, but never did.

Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 7:08 Quote
Finally got out on a proper ride. This bike is a magic carpet! Could be the years of hardtail riding, but I was super, super impressed by how well it tracked the ground. It's also been quite a while since I've been on single pivot (prior FS bike was a Ripmo AF), and I was pleasantly surprised by how composed it was on our root-ridden climbs.

@trioofchaos, have you received your frame yet?

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 12:38 Quote
maximumunicorn wrote:
Finally got out on a proper ride. This bike is a magic carpet! Could be the years of hardtail riding, but I was super, super impressed by how well it tracked the ground. It's also been quite a while since I've been on single pivot (prior FS bike was a Ripmo AF), and I was pleasantly surprised by how composed it was on our root-ridden climbs.

@trioofchaos, have you received your frame yet?

Have two rides on it so far! This thing rips. The EXT also is nothing short of amazing. Coming from a hardtail I am surprised at how reasonably it climbs even at 140/160. Once she is clean I will get some photos up Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 14:47 Quote

Here she is! Absolutely loving it.

Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 14:49 Quote
You should try some of the Galfer EBike brake pads in those TRP's and have your mind blown!! I have a customer that has that set up on both of his ebikes and he cannot get over how much better the Galfers are than the stock pads and the MTX Gold's he replaced on his other ebike.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
You should try some of the Galfer EBike brake pads in those TRP's and have your mind blown!! I have a customer that has that set up on both of his ebikes and he cannot get over how much better the Galfers are than the stock pads and the MTX Gold's he replaced on his other ebike.

Taking notes...Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2022 at 12:30 Quote
I dig the new V3 colors. Not so sure if I dig the whole forced to have a modular shock mount. Seems like more things to go wrong. I guess at the end of the day Starling frames are incredibly versatile.

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 1:06 Quote
Interesting the travel had changed from 140mm to 135mm with the same shock. Options on the rear travel would be nice tho - 135 with air and 150 with coil...

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 4:47 Quote
trioofchaos wrote:
I dig the new V3 colors. Not so sure if I dig the whole forced to have a modular shock mount. Seems like more things to go wrong. I guess at the end of the day Starling frames are incredibly versatile.

I've been using my adjustable shock mount with no issues so far. Its pretty thick and burly, only user error possible is stripping the threads.

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 9:19 Quote
trioofchaos wrote:
I dig the new V3 colors. Not so sure if I dig the whole forced to have a modular shock mount. Seems like more things to go wrong. I guess at the end of the day Starling frames are incredibly versatile.

I'm honestly surprised they went that way. I know many of you have already heard me say this, but Joe really downsold me on the adjustable mount when I was ordering (I went with it anyways). I fully expected it to be discontinued as an option. But I guess he saw all the big brands adding adjustable geo to their bikes as a selling point, and figured since he already had the emgineering mostly worked out it would be easy to tack on as a clear v2/v3 differentiation.

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 10:14 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
trioofchaos wrote:
I dig the new V3 colors. Not so sure if I dig the whole forced to have a modular shock mount. Seems like more things to go wrong. I guess at the end of the day Starling frames are incredibly versatile.

I'm honestly surprised they went that way. I know many of you have already heard me say this, but Joe really downsold me on the adjustable mount when I was ordering (I went with it anyways). I fully expected it to be discontinued as an option. But I guess he saw all the big brands adding adjustable geo to their bikes as a selling point, and figured since he already had the emgineering mostly worked out it would be easy to tack on as a clear v2/v3 differentiation.

I'm supposed to be riding with Joe on Friday so will ask.

Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 4:42 Quote
Spoke with Joe on Friday (at Bike Park Wales). The adjustable mounts are more about being able to have 135 / 150 travel options on the same bike rather than tweak geo. He also said the adjustable mount is different on the new model - they thickened up the downtube and got rid of the doubling plate and the adjustable mounts are thicker and weld to the DT. He also mentioned they were thinking of doing some longer rear ends for Murmurs - 455 IIRC.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017046
Mobile Version of Website