Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
| Next Page
Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
FYI - XL Murmur owners:

I've was comparing FC / WB on various bikes.

XL Murmur (515R) comes in at 0.657 whereas the equivalent sized Geometron / Nicolai G1 (515R) is 0.658.

I always thought the rear of the XL was short for the length but it seems to be bang on if you've drunk the Porter Koolaide.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 7:30 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
CamShreds wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
Decided to throw a 27.5 rear wheel onto the Murmur, since I killed my rear tyre last weekend anyway. No idea whether it'll be good/bad/indifferent, but interested to try, especially as it's mullet-mania at the minute.

Nice, I'm interested to hear how you like it.

Ditto. What length cranks are you running?

They are 170mm. Rough measurements suggest about a 10mm drop in bb height. It may end up being pedal stikes galore, but only way way to find out. Just don't tell Joe, he wouldn't approve!

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 8:28 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
fartymarty wrote:
CamShreds wrote:

Nice, I'm interested to hear how you like it.

Ditto. What length cranks are you running?

They are 170mm. Rough measurements suggest about a 10mm drop in bb height. It may end up being pedal stikes galore, but only way way to find out. Just don't tell Joe, he wouldn't approve!

I reduced my Helm travel from 160 to 150, I believe resulting in a bit lower BB as well which scared me. I think technique and trail awareness can make up for it for sure, but I've certainly noticed it lol. Just got my Funn bash fitted on.

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 0:42 Quote
Well, good news and bad news. Good news, I really felt like I could corner harder and that the bike was more responsive. How much of that was reality and how much was in my head I cannot say. Didn't have any issues with the lower BB, but wasn't riding tech climbs. Bad news, I was clearly pulling too many Gs as all the oil fell out my shock.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 0:39 Quote
Now had a full weekend with the Mur-Mullet. No issues with pedal strikes on the climbs. Definitely aware that the bike is low, so requires a bit more thought. Overall impressions are that it feels amazing. I would say easier to turn and easier to lift front wheel, which translates to gapping more stuff on trail. My guess is that the main reason I'm enjoying it so much and feeling so confident on it is that it's almost a degree slacker. Probably helped in part by the trails running all time prime at the minute.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 4:00 Quote
The Murlet sounds sweet. Do you have any piccys you can post.

I'm sure the BB height can be fixed with a slightly shorter crank if it really becomes a problem.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
The Murlet sounds sweet. Do you have any piccys you can post.

I'm sure the BB height can be fixed with a slightly shorter crank if it really becomes a problem.

Murlet...I like it!

I was riding with a guy on on a Geometron and to be honest his looked even lower! No issues with BB height so far, but there are a couple of very rough trails I ride that have pedally sections and I think those will show me if there's a problem.

Bike was sitting even lower than normal. I bought a Cane Creek DBIL to replace my dead MRP, but I didn't realise that it was shorter, so wouldn't take the spring from the MRP. End result is that I'm running a 400lbs spring when I should probably be on a 500 progressive.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008629
Mobile Version of Website