Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Author Message
Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
Ok so I’m posting a bunch straight out of the gate here but I’m just excited. And its in context to the last page of discussion.

So I tossed on a 140 Yari this morning for comparison. Huge difference in climbing from 170 as expected. The thing that surprised me is the downs weren’t compromised by much at all. In fact it felt more precise and predictable. These are fast bikes no matter how you slice it.... i did f*ck up however and not get the stem tight enough. Sent it hard over the bars when they twisted on me coming in hot off a small jump... wadded up good but all is ok. Gave it a quick re-do and kept mobin’

Pretty sure this is a great bike to own multiple forks and build up for park days, long ride days or a 150-160 heavier days

Truly impressive frame.


Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
Awesome! That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping when I ordered my frame a couple months ago. I wanted it to be my first and last full suspension bike, built on the idea that I could run it anywhere from 140/127 to 160/145, depending on where and how I wanted to play any given day. All this talk is getting me super stoked.

Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 14:19 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Ok so I’m posting a bunch straight out of the gate here but I’m just excited. And its in context to the last page of discussion.

So I tossed on a 140 Yari this morning for comparison. Huge difference in climbing from 170 as expected. The thing that surprised me is the downs weren’t compromised by much at all. In fact it felt more precise and predictable. These are fast bikes no matter how you slice it.... i did f*ck up however and not get the stem tight enough. Sent it hard over the bars when they twisted on me coming in hot off a small jump... wadded up good but all is ok. Gave it a quick re-do and kept mobin’

Pretty sure this is a great bike to own multiple forks and build up for park days, long ride days or a 150-160 heavier days

Truly impressive frame.


Thats awesome to hear. Im surprised the downs didnt feel much different! I hope you are doing alright from the OTB

BTW two pieces of advice for Starling owners.
1) Definitely put some loctite on your der hanger bolt. Mine came loose after a wipeout and my shifting went to crap. Took me a while to figure that out
2) a 30T Garbaruk ring on a Shimano 7100/8100/9100 crank wont work with the chainring guide. Garbaruk uses variable chainline and it results in a chainline that is too short for the chain guide to fit around it properly

Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
Interesting. I am having some shifting issues. I was thinking it was a combination of used cassette and a new chain. It wants to slip on the granny. So i just haven’t been using it... I should play around with the chainline. Maybe take out the BB spacer on the drive side.... hmmmm


As far as down not feeling much different. Obviously the mega slackness is but I think its more capable at 140 that I suspected. The 170 was way burlier but definitely took more thought to steering it through tight stuff where as the 140 was more responsive/intuitive.

Definitely need a better damper on the Yari. But for now.... it shall do.

Lookseasy.... I dont think you’re going to be let down. I think it will check all those boxes for you.

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 6:40 Quote
I guess that proves once again geo >> travel

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
Murmur in the front yard with Cooper chillin in the background

Screwing around with my girlfriend's camera.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 18:44 Quote
So this arrived today.


Drool

I'm going to go crackers waiting to get the parts in to build it up.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 0:12 Quote
Loving the yellow. What colours are you going with?

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 3:56 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
Awesome! That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping when I ordered my frame a couple months ago. I wanted it to be my first and last full suspension bike, built on the idea that I could run it anywhere from 140/127 to 160/145, depending on where and how I wanted to play any given day. All this talk is getting me super stoked.

When you say 127, is that with a 50 rather than 55mm stroke shock? This is something I'm considering too.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 5:20 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
Awesome! That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping when I ordered my frame a couple months ago. I wanted it to be my first and last full suspension bike, built on the idea that I could run it anywhere from 140/127 to 160/145, depending on where and how I wanted to play any given day. All this talk is getting me super stoked.

When you say 127, is that with a 50 rather than 55mm stroke shock? This is something I'm considering too.

Interesting idea - 140/127 and built light. No carbon cranks tho.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
Thanks guys. Blue pedals and grips (medium blue, the color of OneUp's composite pedals), black everything else. Yes, I'll be starting with a shock with a 50mm stroke for 127mm rear travel, paired with 140mm up front. Re: light, not so much to start. Initial build will decidedly mid-tier. I spent roughly 2/3s of my budget on the frame, because I wanted one I plan to keep my whole life. But components are easy to upgrade over time.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 7:35 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
Thanks guys. Blue pedals and grips (medium blue, the color of OneUp's composite pedals), black everything else. Yes, I'll be starting with a shock with a 50mm stroke for 127mm rear travel, paired with 140mm up front. Re: light, not so much to start. Initial build will decidedly mid-tier. I spent roughly 2/3s of my budget on the frame, because I wanted one I plan to keep my whole life. But components are easy to upgrade over time.

Cool idea. I've bought a bigger travel, longer bike and I'm thinking of "de-enduroing" my Murmur. Lighter tyres, less fork travel, shorter stroke shock etc etc. Trying to make it feel a bit snappier. It doesn't matter if I loose a bit of downhill performance, because I'll be using it for longer, faster rides rather than winch and plummet.

Be very interested to hear how you get on with yours! Did you go for the adjustable shock mount?

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 7:42 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
Did you go for the adjustable shock mount?
I did. I'm an inveterate fiddler, so the more I can play with the more fun I can have. Joe recommended it for adjusting geo, and I'm looking forward to making some comparison runs between settings.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
For my travel choices, I've been riding my local trails on a 120mm hardtail, I like to keep both wheels on the ground and I do lots of pedaling, so I figured I'd start small and leave myself room to go big down the road.

Fwiw, when discussing the shock mount with him, Joe said a good, free way to stiffen the pedaling platform is to just reduce rear sag, due to the frame's linear leverage ratio.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009168
Mobile Version of Website