Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:00 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
Did you go for the adjustable shock mount?
I did. I'm an inveterate fiddler, so the more I can play with the more fun I can have. Joe recommended it for adjusting geo, and I'm looking forward to making some comparison runs between settings.

Cool! Mine is the fixed mount, but I've never been afraid to make mistakes!

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
Mine is definitely set up in monster truck mode ATM - copied from NSMB The Weight Is Over -

"I've just measured my XL Murmur - 41.8lb with the following build:

Ohlins coils both ends, 511 rims on Hopes, 2.3 tough Vigis (no inserts and about 60ml of sealant per tyre), Zee cranks and calipers, XT levers, shifter and chain, Saint BB and mech, 180mm PNW dropper, Hope HS and seat post clamp, Chromag Trailstar LTD and Ranger stem, Ergotec 50x12 bars, Burgtec Composite pedals, Shimano 11-42 10 speed cassette, Wolftooth stainless 32t chainring. RRP mudguard (front), 44 designs bash guard, Funn top guide and STFU trail guide, B-Rad tool bag (full including 60ml bottle of Stans), 750mm waterbottle on SKS cage."

It would be interesting to see how light I can build it with a sensible build. I'm thinking 33-34 lb.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:49 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
So this arrived today.

Drool

I'm going to go crackers waiting to get the parts in to build it up.

Im in love with this color! We gotta get pics when its fully built up!

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Ok so I’m posting a bunch straight out of the gate here but I’m just excited. And its in context to the last page of discussion.

So I tossed on a 140 Yari this morning for comparison. Huge difference in climbing from 170 as expected. The thing that surprised me is the downs weren’t compromised by much at all. In fact it felt more precise and predictable. These are fast bikes no matter how you slice it.... i did f*ck up however and not get the stem tight enough. Sent it hard over the bars when they twisted on me coming in hot off a small jump... wadded up good but all is ok. Gave it a quick re-do and kept mobin’

Pretty sure this is a great bike to own multiple forks and build up for park days, long ride days or a 150-160 heavier days

Truly impressive frame.

Are you still running this 140 front? After the last few months Ive come to the conclusion that the trails I ride don't need a 160 in front. My biggest concern about going 140 is the lower BB though cause its pretty rocky where I am in Colorado. Im due for an air service so I figure if I am going to open this up I might as well change the travel too

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 19:04 Quote
Yeah still at 140. BB is low but not anything that cant be adjusted for in a matter of a ride or two on the trail.

Couple peddle strikes to reset the parameters lol

Seriously its good though. Climbing is great, and I don’t feel under gunned on even chunky Black routes

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 19:16 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Yeah still at 140. BB is low but not anything that cant be adjusted for in a matter of a ride or two on the trail.

Couple peddle strikes to reset the parameters lol

Seriously its good though. Climbing is great, and I don’t feel under gunned on even chunky Black routes

Awesome! Worst case I could always swap the spring back to 160 if I don't like it.

I love going downhill and want to optimize for that but I gotta be honest with myself and I'm doing more bike park rides and trail rides with a good amount of techy climbs which feels pretty sluggish with the 160

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
I've been considering 140 up front as well. I need to learn how to swap the tokens in my Helm MK2 air

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 21:13 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Yep. Easy as pie.

Took the plunge and shortened it to 140mm. Hoping to take it for a spin on Wednesday but so far it feels super plush after having serviced it. The old air spring had a crazy amount of grease on it which probably didnt help

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 21:40 Quote
Let us know how you get along with it.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 11:31 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Let us know how you get along with it.

Quick ride report:
I wanted to do an A/B comparison so I did a common loop I usually do to test the new set up (~10 miles and 1000ft) and I was pretty much faster on all the ups and downs

The bike felt much more snappy and responsive with the 140mm however on the small, really steep sections I felt more unstable.

It's hard to tell how much of that was just the travel change because I also changed my air pressure and the number of air tokens so by the end of the ride I hadn't even used half of the 140mm! Hopefully softening up the suspension will remove some of that unstable feeling but all in all I'm sold on the change!

Also I had no issues with the lowered bb

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:11 Quote
Rad! Yeah I feel like the Murmur can have a multiple personality disorder depending on how you set it up. So good. At 170 it was a charging beast. Definitely keeping the ZEB for bigger shuttle days etc.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009506
Mobile Version of Website