Brake judder in rear wheel on Scott Gambler

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Brake judder in rear wheel on Scott Gambler
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
Hi,

I’ve got a Scott gambler 920 2020 model that’s had what I’d call light use since having it as all the parks have been closed. Since day one the rear wheel has juddered under braking. I’ve replaced the brakes so it wasn’t that, it’s had new pads, a new rotor and it’s still there. It’s getting annoying beyond belief and driving me crazy. I just don’t know what it can be. The rear wheel seems good to me, i.e bearings, tyres got plenty of grip on so I just don’t understand what is causing it. Does anyone have any ideas or is this normal? Help!

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 4:45 Quote
Hi,
From my experience it could be many things. this could be that that any of the bolts are loose. I presume you have checked this and that all brake bolts, through axle and rotor bolts are done up tight. if it is not that I would think that it is just the pads moving. you can see this by placing your fingers on the top of the pads where it protrudes out of the caliper. then you can pull the brake and move the bike forward and back. you should be able to feel the brake pads wobbling. try any of that and if all else fails take it to you local bike shop.
hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 23:35 Quote
wheelguy2004 wrote:
Hi,
From my experience it could be many things. this could be that that any of the bolts are loose. I presume you have checked this and that all brake bolts, through axle and rotor bolts are done up tight. if it is not that I would think that it is just the pads moving. you can see this by placing your fingers on the top of the pads where it protrudes out of the caliper. then you can pull the brake and move the bike forward and back. you should be able to feel the brake pads wobbling. try any of that and if all else fails take it to you local bike shop.
hope this helps.

Thanks. Yeah tried all this. Ive tried a new rotor, new brakes and new pads but it still gives me the same issue. Ive booked it in to a shop to have a look. So frustrating.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 1:39 Quote
lance2012 wrote:
wheelguy2004 wrote:
Hi,
hope this helps.

Thanks. Yeah tried all this. Ive tried a new rotor, new brakes and new pads but it still gives me the same issue. Ive booked it in to a shop to have a look. So frustrating.
Any updates on this? I got a new gambler and looking to put a 220mm on there. The '22 gamber does have a beefier adapter then this one, which seems to bee the original:
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-rear-brake-mount-for-2020-gambler-200mm-p352775

The new one is also 223mm instead of 220.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 7:22 Quote
I ended up sending the bike back and getting a refund, which should be getting sorted anytime soon. They wouldn’t replace the frame for me as they couldn’t guarantee I wouldn’t have the same problem. Had a new rear end prior to all this with the same issue. Won’t buy a Scott again. It’s been a nightmare process.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 7:25 Quote
That’s the original adapter in the link. If you email the shop you bought the bike from, they should send you the updated adapter. I did get that from them...eventually.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 9:44 Quote
lance2012 wrote:
That’s the original adapter in the link. If you email the shop you bought the bike from, they should send you the updated adapter. I did get that from them...eventually.
yeah wasn't clear: I linked to the original. I have the new one on the right:

I hope my experience will be better, just got mine. I got a full AL model 910 of '22. Thank for the info anyway.

The reviews where quite positive about the braking. So I hope your experience was a fluke...I will try the 220mm and see what happens. I have seen it in pro-bike checks as well. It is already 30degrees here and bikeparks are opening next week. I want to be able to cool my brakes.

Which brakes where you using? I use Codes RSC.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 13:37 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
lance2012 wrote:
yeah wasn't clear: I linked to the original. I have the new one on the right:

I hope my experience will be better, just got mine. I got a full AL model 910 of '22. Thank for the info anyway.

The reviews where quite positive about the braking. So I hope your experience was a fluke...I will try the 220mm and see what happens. I have seen it in pro-bike checks as well. It is already 30degrees here and bikeparks are opening next week. I want to be able to cool my brakes.

Which brakes where you using? I use Codes RSC.

Yes I had Code RSC. But had shimano on before that, with the same issue. Yeah, hopefully you get on ok with it. Lovely looking bike and it’s a shame it had to go back but enough was enough. Have fun in the bike parks!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006220
Mobile Version of Website