Sj evo coil recall?

PB Forum :: Specialized
Sj evo coil recall?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 12:53 Quote
Anykne have any info on this? Heard from my lbs that they’re issuing a recall on all fox coils

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 3:48 Quote
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
Just confirmed it’s only for 2021 bikes

Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
glicker wrote:
Just confirmed it’s only for 2021 bikes

Fox updated this and now it includes 2020

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
Does anyone have any further information to add to this? It would seem that in regards to a 2020 SJ Evo, The original equipment DHX2 falls into this recall?

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 10:55 Quote
Has anybody heard of this issue affecting the new Enduros? Trying to troubleshoot a Fox DHX2 that has blown seals multiple times on an Enduro. Thanks!

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
bryce250f wrote:
Has anybody heard of this issue affecting the new Enduros? Trying to troubleshoot a Fox DHX2 that has blown seals multiple times on an Enduro. Thanks!

I don't think this issue would be related on an Enduro as slightly different setup with how the shock is actuated on.

The SJ problem from what I understand is that the large strut mount lever exerts too much load on the shaft in a direction that is unintended (not in the direction of compressing the shock) i.e. side load/bending and this in some cases can cause the shaft to shear apart. Fox specify maximum lengths for strut mounts from center of pivots on each end and if yours's is outside of the maximum, it can exert to large a force than the shock shaft isn't designed for.

I'm no expert but that's where I would see issues arrive. Shock shafts are designed to go in and out with the force ideally applied in the same line as the movement. Forces at any other angle will surely create issues, varying in consequence depending on the forces applied. I would guess that most linkage designs exert side load on at some level and its hard to eliminate completely.

I would assume a seal issue could be caused by side loads as well but I can say that IS the problem. Could be an alignment issue between mounting points also?

DHX2 do have small shaft diameters too. May not help

FL
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 5:04 Quote
My dhx2 which was stock on my stumpy evo pro 2020 started spewing oil so spoke to sola sports here in oz (fox distributor) and was told do not use this shock or marzocchi coil on stumpjumper evo pro 2020 model.
So fox say not to use the shock that comes stock on the bike. They are apparently sending me an x2 air shock to replace it which is awesome apart from they are on backorder until late June and also they have just gone into some sort of liquidation/take, over so hopefully my shock does not disappear into the eather.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
dsclifford wrote:
My dhx2 which was stock on my stumpy evo pro 2020 started spewing oil so spoke to sola sports here in oz (fox distributor) and was told do not use this shock or marzocchi coil on stumpjumper evo pro 2020 model.
So fox say not to use the shock that comes stock on the bike. They are apparently sending me an x2 air shock to replace it which is awesome apart from they are on backorder until late June and also they have just gone into some sort of liquidation/take, over so hopefully my shock does not disappear into the eather.

So are they not even going to service your shock? Just leave you with nothing till late June?

FL
Posted: May 7, 2021 at 5:44 Quote
They were going to just service it, but I heard about dhx2 suddenly not being suitable for the stumpy. So when I questioned them they said don't use it, and wait for x2. All a little weird.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
My experience has been "Yes you are correct in it not being suitable, but continue to use your DHX2 and when it has issues we will cover it under warranty"

Like how its "when" and not "if".

Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 16:48 Quote
Bumping this back up to see if anybody has had any recent experience here.

Bulletin here: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

The DHX2 on my 2020 Evo 29 gave up and its seal went. Needs a rebuild. Brought this bulletin into my local Specialized dealer and they indicated that Specialized or Fox wouldn't really do anything for me unless the actual shock shaft broke. I'd like to not rebuild a shock that's a ticking time bomb, but also feel like it shouldn't be on me to purchase an alternative shock as a replacement.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 19:49 Quote
Squirrel-155 wrote:
Bumping this back up to see if anybody has had any recent experience here.

Bulletin here: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

The DHX2 on my 2020 Evo 29 gave up and its seal went. Needs a rebuild. Brought this bulletin into my local Specialized dealer and they indicated that Specialized or Fox wouldn't really do anything for me unless the actual shock shaft broke. I'd like to not rebuild a shock that's a ticking time bomb, but also feel like it shouldn't be on me to purchase an alternative shock as a replacement.

Apart from my experience, I took mine in for a service recently and they suggested I replace the shaft as it had a polished look to it which indicates that it was experiencing a bit of wear. It was $40 NZD which I though was acceptable. Could have pissed and whinged but couldn’t be bothered. Sounds like you aren’t going to get anything out of S or Fox so I’d just suck it up and get the seals replaced and or put an air shock in it. If it snaps, try your luck then. It’s only going to be an issue if you are quite heavy and or you ride hard and put a lot of force through the shock. I’ve had mine for over 2 years, average 3 rides a week on some harsh rocky trails and haven’t had it snap yet, just some wear and tear but you need to expect that.

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 23:10 Quote
Sent the coil into Fox for warranty evaluation. Received a Float X2 replacement at no cost.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3327300/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.038958
Mobile Version of Website