2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Creaking Noise

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Creaking Noise
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 20:50 Quote
Dear PB users,
I have a question about some creaking noise coming from my 2018 altitude C70.
Ive tried many things to stop the creaking noise as the origin is a little hard to find. Ive cleaned the headset, tightend all bolts and greased the BB and seat posts. It appears the noise is originating from the top shock mount (hopefully that is the correct term). The bike originally came with the 210 x 55 dps shock, I later replaced the shock with a 8.5 x 2.5 float X2 and was wondering if this could have damaged the frame. I was thinking over shocking the bike could have possibly damaged that part of the bike, I don't see any cracks in the frame or any damage. This is just the last thing I can think of as I have tried to stop the creaking noise. I've also read some forums and it appears that damage to the frame is very unlikely, although I thought I would ask, speculation to the noise would be great too, as I know it would be impossible for any PB user to pinpoint the noise, especially from some random explaining the noise in a forum post.
I was also wondering if the bolts or bearings eyelts or pivots or bearings can cause this creaking noise (sounds like stepping on a wooden floor/deck that creaks)? I had been wanting to buy one of the maintenance kits online but wanted some advice on what the noise could possibly. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 17:30 Quote
My 2018 Alloy 70 creaks too, and i always thought its been the press fit bb but ive never been sure. Hmmmmm.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 3:01 Quote
Whiskeytownz wrote:
Dear PB users,
I have a question about some creaking noise coming from my 2018 altitude C70.
Ive tried many things to stop the creaking noise as the origin is a little hard to find. Ive cleaned the headset, tightend all bolts and greased the BB and seat posts. It appears the noise is originating from the top shock mount (hopefully that is the correct term). The bike originally came with the 210 x 55 dps shock, I later replaced the shock with a 8.5 x 2.5 float X2 and was wondering if this could have damaged the frame. I was thinking over shocking the bike could have possibly damaged that part of the bike, I don't see any cracks in the frame or any damage. This is just the last thing I can think of as I have tried to stop the creaking noise. I've also read some forums and it appears that damage to the frame is very unlikely, although I thought I would ask, speculation to the noise would be great too, as I know it would be impossible for any PB user to pinpoint the noise, especially from some random explaining the noise in a forum post.
I was also wondering if the bolts or bearings eyelts or pivots or bearings can cause this creaking noise (sounds like stepping on a wooden floor/deck that creaks)? I had been wanting to buy one of the maintenance kits online but wanted some advice on what the noise could possibly. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

My guess, the Eyelet Bearings (lower shock mount) are worn out or the eyelets have developed a tiny play/tolerance. The ride 9 chips are already cleaned, greased and torqued to spec?
I am chasing a creek as well at the moment and will replace the Upper and lower eyelet sets as I already have done everything else to get rid of the creek.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
@mrwulf So I cleaned and greased up the ride 9 system and now the bike is silent... Firm Handshake

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 4:38 Quote
These noises are extremely hard to find because they transmit through the stiffness of the carbon and seem like they could be coming from just about anywhere. Almost like looking for that squeak in a car.

One way to find the joint that is causing it (my final solution on 19 instinct c70) was putting fingers on each shock pivot and compressing...you could actually feel the one that was making the noise...small amount of PFTE lube solved it.

This season I was about to start taking apart pivots and found that the rear brake cable where it touches the chainstay was making a very loud creak with compression of the suspension. Tiny dab of lube and silent!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012234
Mobile Version of Website