Rider/ Pedestrian Conflict

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Rider/ Pedestrian Conflict
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 17:43 Quote
I consider myself a courteous rider and like to get along with trail users. I don’t believe in blasting by people and pets at full tilt and when I pass slow to walking speed to slightly above. I like to conduct myself in a way that leaves a positive impression with pedestrians and equestrians with regards to mountain bikers/ trail etiquette. - I don’t want to ban myself and others from the trails.

However, I guess, I need to revaluate how I ride. I’m sharing this exchange out of being humble and realizing I might need to “ check myself” a bit and be more mindful.

I was out fatbiking on a hike -a bike multi use trail. The trail is indicated as a bike trail/ multi use trail asper trailforks. The trail involved biking in part way and a steep hike-a-bike on second half of the climb. The trail is narrow technical single track.

On the way up, both the riding and hiking portion hiker traffic was heavy. At times I needed to get off the trail into the deep snow ( up to my knees) for down going hikers/ trail runners . - I let them pass as I took up more real estate pushing a fatbike uphill. Some hikers thanked me for moving off the side of the trail, post- holing with a bike in slushy snow up to my knees -most did not.

On the way down, I was pumped for the 2000 feet of descent. Started the descent at a slower speed given the traffic that day. I noticed two pedestrians ahead and slowed to walking pace while calling out. “ Hi guys, I’m coming up behind you.” Both hikers moved off the trail and and I said “ Thanks guys”

Upon passing the two hikers, a stream of swearing emanated under their breaths. I was shocked and kept riding and later decided to stop. I was not speeding or riding aggressively.

I’m also cognizant of social distancing on trails and try to keep my distance from pedestrians. ( I’ve been asked for that too)

I called out asked if they were ok. I’m ok fully admit I was a shocked and maybe a bit pissed off. However, i genuinely wanted to repair the issue/ see what was up. I Was told something along the lines of : I needed to revaluate how I treat pedestrians. Here’s how they viewed I should conduct myself: I should signal I am approaching, dismount, walk my bike up to the pedestrians and introduce myself and use the phrase “ hello, may I have your permission to pass?” while indicating the side I would like to pass on. I will then wait until the place they indicate I can pass, once I’ve obtained their permission walk my bike past them and thank them once I’m clear . I can then get back on the bike when I am far down the trail.

I told them I was unaware of this protocol and genuinely thought I wasn’t stepping on toes by the way I passed earlier. They asked me to “ get out of their way and get going and leave them to enjoy their day” and said “ they were done with me.” I tried to apologize and they insisted that I “ get moving and get the F$&& out of here.” - which I did. I thanked them and said I’ll do better next time.

I felt genuinely bad I had stepped on their toes. I will also admit I was rattled by this exchange.

I’ve never had an interaction like this.

I think we as riders should realize this will likely be another year of people on edge and go out of our way to be courteous to other users ( me especially). This was a big learning experience for me/ wakeup call as to what might lie ahead.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 23:44 Quote
Wow these guys sounds like complete asses. If this is a one off thing just let it be. It sounds like you were quite courteous and in line with what I do and what most of the people I ride with do. Technically anyone going up hill has right of way but there is a point of were it just makes since to let the person going down pass. Most hikers I have encountered on the trail have now problem either giving room for cyclist to pass (we both keep moving, or they move off the trail for just a second or two to let us pass. I have also often times stopped to let a larger group of hikers pass me both going up or down the trail. Just what makes since at the time.

But there will always be those people with something sticking you know where and just feel entitled.

Hope you get another solid ride soon to correct the ill will you received on this ride.

Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 15:32 Quote
I just ring my bell when I'm about 30ft away and those motherf@#$ers scramble. I always say Hi, and no one has ever seemed out of sorts.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009261
Mobile Version of Website