Complete newbie. Send help!

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Complete newbie. Send help!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 6:38 Quote
Hi ladies, Im Eve. I'm completely new ???? I have my bike, after a bit of reading up on a few blogs etc I blindly went for a vitus nucleus vrw (I keep forgetting what it is so have to check!) I'm hoping this is a good starter option? I should of joined a forum before I bought one maybe! But I felt reviews were good and it was within my budget. ???????? Plus I dreamed about it last night so should mean it's the one for me!!!

I've yet to go out yet, I'm heading to Cumbria (I'm in the UK) climbing in April and have a few trails in mind for bike days, I've no helmet yet and presume I'll need some decent pedals instead of the ones they send with the bike... where on earth do I start with this! Please someone send me in the right direction. Thank you. Eve x

Also any beginner advice, you know, stuff you wish you'd known starting out will be very gratefully welcomed x

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
Nucleus is a great value bike. It'll be great for starting out on, good choice.
As far as helmets, don't go for a ride until you have one. Since you're in the uk check out chainreactioncycles.com (I'm guessing you got your bike from either here or Wiggle.com anyway), they've got a good selection. Ideally find one with mips for better protection. Since you're just starting out, a half-shell helmet should be fine (as opposed to a full-face). As you progress and start riding gnarly stuff get a full face.
Pedals, you're probably better off starting on flat pedals. Nukeproof Neutron are pretty cheap and good. I'd also recommend Oneup composites, DMR v12, crankbrothers stamp etc. Things to look for on a pedal are metal pins. Either metal or composite body is fine.
Enjoy your new bike!

Posted: Mar 22, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
I mean get a helmet before you go riding and know the basics too When i was starting the most helpful thing was standing up on the downhills and bring a friend who is familiar and can help. And a bell helmet is pretty good and for flats go to your local bike shop and look

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
Hi! Welcome to the world of mountain biking. Get that helmet and then get on your bike and have some fun. I suggest finding a basic skills class as soon as you can. The sooner you learn proper technique the sooner you'll feel confident. If you can't find a skills class, hit youtube for videos on basic skills. I watch videos as reminders of skills I've learned during in person lessons. I had no friends that were into mtb when I got my first bike. I just stayed on the easy trails until I felt confident enough to venture to harder trails. I took as many clinics as I could afford. I've gotten a bit of help from friends, but I find lessons/clinics are best as they break things down in a systematic way that most of our friends aren't able to do, plus you don't want to wear out your welcome constantly asking friends for help. I had a friend that I was happy to help at first, but after 6 months it got old. I kept telling her to take some lessons from a pro, but she just wouldn't do it. I kept paying for lessons and then she expected me to teach her. We aren't friends any longer, a cautionary tale.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
Hi Eve, I'm new to the PinkBike forums but have been riding for a while now. I'm also in the UK. I love my Race Face Chester pedals, they cost about £50 but I've had mine on my bike for 3 years now and they're still going strong. They come in loads of colours too.

Try and get a helmet with MIPS if you can afford it, it offers some extra protection which if you progress (which you probably will) you'll benefit from later down the line. Fit is the most important thing, Go Outdoors do sell some decent Giro ones so you could go and try some on to see what fits and then look around the web to find a good deal?

Also, if you are interested there is a lovely community on twitter that talk regularly and offer friendly banter and advice. Just search for mtb and you'll find a few accounts to follow, UKMTBChat and TotalMTB are good ones.

I hope you enjoy your start to Mountain biking, you're going to LOVE it! Smile

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 17:09 Quote
Hi and welcome! If you're on a budget, composite body petals with metal pins are much cheaper and last just as long as metal body petals.
Definitely get a helmet before you start riding. If you can afford to get a helmet with MIPS or similar it offers a little more protection. you can get some pretty good helmets without spending a fortune. Bell and giro have some affordable options.
Also, you might want to think about a skills class. you will have a better time down the road and feel more confident on your bike.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005179
Mobile Version of Website