Trickstuff Maxima Brakes - Users/Buyers Guide

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Trickstuff Maxima Brakes - Users/Buyers Guide
O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 10:42 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
Have trickstuff completely stopped taking new orders??

I don't see anyway to get on the waiting list via their website unless I'm being really stupid?

Yeah, as far as I’m aware. You’d be as well placing an order with one of the big German resellers, in the hope that a speculative order they placed 18-24 months ago gets fulfilled.

Thanks Tom. I ended up emailing the to ask and got an immediate automatic reply saying that the online shop would be back but there was no timeline for it. Just some point in the future...
Then the next morning I got a reply from a real person saying much the same but pointed out that I can order through one of their distributors listed on the website. But there doesn't seem to be any UK distributor at the moment?

I was looking at ordering via R2-bike, but it looks like I'd have to pay upfront? Ordering via trickstuff and paying when the brakes are ready is more appealing.
But you make a good point in that its possible r2-bike could potentially be getting a delivery sooner than the 2 years I'd have to wait.

Do you have both Maximas and Direttissimas? Do you feel a clear increase in power over the Direttissimas?
I've always been under the impression that the Direttissimas are a clear increase over code rsc or mt7's. But tbh I base that on the enduro-mag test from a few years ago that compared brakes on a dyno and the Direttissimas produced 111Nm of braking torque.

Then just the other day I read this old article
https://bikerumor.com/eb18-trickstuff-direttissima-maxima-overpowers-its-ultralight-brakes-more/

It says "Trickstuff says they developed the Maxima after finding that SRAM Code & Magura MT7 brakes matched the Direttissima’s performance, and they knew they could deliver more stopping power without much weight penalty"

But that seems surprising given the braking torque numbers in that magazine test!

've actually just received a set of Cascade North Fork Calipers but I haven't got round to fitting them yet. Would love to see some braking torque numbers for the cascade/code lever set up but I can't find such a test online.

I'll email r2-bike and ask if I 'd need to pay up front. I'd rather not pay them upfront if I'm likely to have to still wait up to 2 years for delivery...

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 11:02 Quote
Hi. There are some for sale on german marketplace website.
Some of them are taking the piss but currently there's a couple of sets of new Maximas and several Direttissimas available for a little bit more than the RRP. Some of them are new.
Maybe it's worth giving it a go?

Edit: there's one set for 1400 € and one for 1600 €.
https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/en/search/Trickstuff?direction=desc&sort=publish&page=3

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
Bitelio wrote:
Hi. There are some for sale on german marketplace website.

Yeah thanks, I'd seen them on the german site. I could just about stomach 1400 but I don't really feel like I'm that desperate to pay over the odds for them eh? Import duties would bump it up too. Could maybe even work out cheaper to get flight to Germany to pick them up!
The 'second hand' ones are quite tempting but I'd also feel better having guaranteed warranty/support etc buying direct.

I'm still perplexed as to how Trickstuff are unable to sufficiently ramp up production to meet demand. I'm starting to think that its more a case of them being unwilling rather than unable. The scarcity allows them to keep the absurd high price... So if they are deliberately holding back production numbers, that kinda feels a bit snide.

When did DT Swiss buy in? About a year ago? I suppose 12 months isn't long in the grand scheme of things, but I thought things would have seen an improvement by now.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 11:49 Quote
Also.... big lol at this donkey lol https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3497469/

heavy desperate!

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
Have trickstuff completely stopped taking new orders??

I don't see anyway to get on the waiting list via their website unless I'm being really stupid?

Yeah, as far as I’m aware. You’d be as well placing an order with one of the big German resellers, in the hope that a speculative order they placed 18-24 months ago gets fulfilled.

Thanks Tom. I ended up emailing the to ask and got an immediate automatic reply saying that the online shop would be back but there was no timeline for it. Just some point in the future...
Then the next morning I got a reply from a real person saying much the same but pointed out that I can order through one of their distributors listed on the website. But there doesn't seem to be any UK distributor at the moment?

I was looking at ordering via R2-bike, but it looks like I'd have to pay upfront? Ordering via trickstuff and paying when the brakes are ready is more appealing.
But you make a good point in that its possible r2-bike could potentially be getting a delivery sooner than the 2 years I'd have to wait.

Do you have both Maximas and Direttissimas? Do you feel a clear increase in power over the Direttissimas?
I've always been under the impression that the Direttissimas are a clear increase over code rsc or mt7's. But tbh I base that on the enduro-mag test from a few years ago that compared brakes on a dyno and the Direttissimas produced 111Nm of braking torque.

https://bikerumor.com/eb18-trickstuff-direttissima-maxima-overpowers-its-ultralight-brakes-more/

It says "Trickstuff says they developed the Maxima after finding that SRAM Code & Magura MT7 brakes matched the Direttissima’s performance, and they knew they could deliver more stopping power without much weight penalty"

But that seems surprising given the braking torque numbers in that magazine test!

've actually just received a set of Cascade North Fork Calipers but I haven't got round to fitting them yet. Would love to see some braking torque numbers for the cascade/code lever set up but I can't find such a test online.

I'll email r2-bike and ask if I 'd need to pay up front. I'd rather not pay them upfront if I'm likely to have to still wait up to 2 years for delivery...

I’ve not tried modern codes, but the Direttissima is as good as/better than anything else I’ve tried, up to & including Saints, 4 pot Hopes and guides.

The Maximas are a step up. Mainly from the increased lever length, you have to recalibrate a bit when you first ride them, else you’ll find yourself going into corners a lot slower than necessary! It’s crazy how much later you can brake.

I think you do have to pay upfront with the disti’s, but you can cancel for a refund I think? UK disti was PoshBikes, but not sure if they still are. Point is if they haven’t already got an order in, it’s 2 years. What you are hoping for with Ze Germans is that they placed a stock order in the last couple of years that will be fulfilled before they open up again.

G-horseNoBrakes wrote:

heavy desperate!

More power to him, the more he gets, the more mine are worth Wink

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:

I’ve not tried modern codes, but the Direttissima is as good as/better than anything else I’ve tried, up to & including Saints, 4 pot Hopes and guides.

The Maximas are a step up. Mainly from the increased lever length, you have to recalibrate a bit when you first ride them, else you’ll find yourself going into corners a lot slower than necessary! It’s crazy how much later you can brake.

I think you do have to pay upfront with the disti’s, but you can cancel for a refund I think? UK disti was PoshBikes, but not sure if they still are. Point is if they haven’t already got an order in, it’s 2 years. What you are hoping for with Ze Germans is that they placed a stock order in the last couple of years that will be fulfilled before they open up again.

G-horseNoBrakes wrote:

heavy desperate!

More power to him, the more he gets, the more mine are worth Wink

It's actually crazy how you have to learn to recalculate your braking points with the Maxima brakes. There's not one thing I regret about getting them.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 5:47 Quote
Is there any stock of 730 power brake pads anywhere in the world? I bought a few sets when R2 had them in stock but I ran out, this brake pad situation is kinda frustrating, I expected something better from a premium brand... Cry

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 6:05 Quote
Hi, I found them in stock in R2Bike in July and bought 8 pairs.
No idea if they have them now. Try Bike24???

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
Bitelio wrote:
Hi, I found them in stock in R2Bike in July and bought 8 pairs.
No idea if they have them now. Try Bike24???

Nope, none of the mainstream shops have any in stock.. I also bought six pairs back in august but I got almost 0 left… Frown

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 10:14 Quote
I have these pads on a set of TRP DHR EVOs & SRAM Codes and they’re incredible - amazing more people don’t use them!

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
They don't use because they're never in stock!! XD

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
Bitelio wrote:
They don't use because they're never in stock!! XD

Sad but true… Pretty much everything Trickstuff is out of stock anywhere you look.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 23:29 Quote
Well if you don't mind paying a good 30%+ more, a few pairs of brakes are available on the buysell section of mtb-news. But Maximas for example are advertised at 1600+ ...

And you thought PS5 scalping was bad! lol

As for the pads, other than checking regularly and putting alerts on some bike German resellers (bike24, bike-components, r2-bike, ...), haven't seen many of them anywhere else. Stocked up the last time they were in stock at r2-bike, and that should last me until end of next summer ? It's ski season over here anyway, bikes won't be out much for a few months, I suppose it's a win to conserve pads ? Big Grin

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 23:41 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Well if you don't mind paying a good 30%+ more, a few pairs of brakes are available on the buysell section of mtb-news. But Maximas for example are advertised at 1600+ ...

And you thought PS5 scalping was bad! lol

As for the pads, other than checking regularly and putting alerts on some bike German resellers (bike24, bike-components, r2-bike, ...), haven't seen many of them anywhere else. Stocked up the last time they were in stock at r2-bike, and that should last me until end of next summer ? It's ski season over here anyway, bikes won't be out much for a few months, I suppose it's a win to conserve pads ? Big Grin

I have used Galfer and Hope in the past so I will get some of those I think... It is just a little frustrating paying all this money to get the brakes only to chase brake pads down the road, Trickstuff has been great to me but I think that the lack of product is a bit annoying. Good thing is that there is a good demand for Maxima brakes so selling a used pair isn’t an issue.

Posted: Dec 18, 2022 at 3:11 Quote
Hi all,just joining in on the conversation regarding trickstuff brakes,my experiences with the company and product.Firstly I don’t ride as I broke my back some years ago riding motocross but my son rides an enduro mtb equipped with a set of direttissimas which I purchased and fitted for him.As you’re all well aware these are seriously expensive and like you all,I thought long and hard before ordering a set.They’ve been on his bike for 18 months or more and the feedback I get from him is always the same after each ride wherever he goes……THE best brake he’s used and like many of you he’s had code rsc,hope,etc. Power and modulation the best by far.
He broke a clamp holding the master cyl,I already purchased a couple of spares and proceeded to replace said clamp but it wouldn’t sit right in the cylinder body,I had to reduce the circumference with a needle file carefully until it sat flush.
I contacted trickstuff directly and explained the problem and was sent two new clamps free of charge within a couple of days,a great response from them but I understand not everyone maybe happy with their experiences.
Internal routing and bleeding was easy enough really,like other people have said bleeding a bit of a “faff” but no real difficulty.
Regarding brake pads we use the shimano sintered in the rear and galfer pro or TS power in the front. The pistons always move together equally unlike some other brakes where you always seem to have one “lazy” piston after some use.The quality of the anodising and finish of the machining is superb,like many others I see buying the brakes as an investment because they will be transferred if and when he changes bikes.As you all know the three German bike shops can provide most of the spares some of the time and that seems to be negative side of ownership.I ordered two spare master cylinders complete some time ago as I thought if he crashes then they are the most likely part to break,lost the lower bolt securing the lever to the cyl recently and removed one from the spare unit,I discovered I had been sent two right hand levers,can’t exchange it now as they’re out of stock and have been for some time,these are the problems with Trickstuff,lead time and spares availability,so other than the breath taking initial cost, the product is beautifully made and listening to my sons feedback the best brake he’s ever used.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014810
Mobile Version of Website