2021 Specialized Enduro expert- things to upgrade

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Specialized Enduro expert- things to upgrade
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
Hi Everyone
I’ve just bought a 2021 S5 Enduro Expert. I’m Coming from a canyon spectral and I’m really happy with the switch so far.
Specialized concept store in Colchester (UK) were awesome, looking forward to meeting them when I take it in for the first service!

I’ve “ride wrapped” the bike and I have to say the service was fast and the product is very good- it’s a bit fiddly but well worth it. Highly recommended.

I’m going to aim to do plenty of Bike parks and ride local tracks this year so want to spend the next few weeks fine tuning the bike.

So far two rides in and all seems fine, working out suspension will take a few rides I think but it’s already light years ahead of the canyon.

I’ve had one issue where peddling up a steep hill under load in the lowest gear, the chain seems to slip. It hasn’t happened again but wonder if anyone has had something similar happen?

Anyway point of this thread is to ask advice from the enduro owners on the best upgrades/things to swap out...

1) Tyres- Butchers are Shite, I’m not a seasoned rider but man I can feel how sloppy they are compared to my Minnions, so I’m thinking of Minnion DHR’s for front and rear? Should be mainly dry conditions with either dry clay and roots or berms with gravel/slate typically

2) I want to get a bash guard, what are you guys fitting?

3) Tubeless- what valves are you using? Id like to use muc off valves but have a feeling I should go with the specialized roval valves?

Any other things you lot are changing or tweaking please let me know!

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 18:26 Quote
Congrats on your new bike man and cute pup, off topic where are you riding MTB's in Essex?

On topic

1) Tires aren't bad but I think the location dictates how durable they are, I can't get away with anything less than a cushcore and a DD on the rear and exo plus up front but I'm in CO and ride the super sharp rocky stuff

2) One up components guard for me, MRP is 10mins from my house which is what the s-works comes with but I preferred the less 'bling' on the One up. Used it a bunch and it works perfect with my oval 32T

3) Valves e*thirteen because I like the fact that you can clean them and pretty much service them unlike the generic ones fitted to all bikes

As for chain slip, no idea on that front maybe the indexing needs looking at. I've never had problems with XO but I hate sram chains, I usually snap em under load but most people have success with them.

I'd just go over it after few days riding with a torque wrench then go ride the balls off it!

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 5:18 Quote
Hi j6y,
I’m just a bit further south down in Kent. We have Surrey hills which is about an hour away and we can get to Wales in a couple of hours or so.
Not loads of good trails on our doorstep but it’s not too bad to get to some good bike parks.

I’ll take a look at the e*thirteen valves and I need to really get my head around tyre choices ASAP.

Thanks for the advice

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
MRP full guard and guide for me. I like the butcher better than the minion by far, I hate the DHF. Will run Assegai when the butchers wear out.

I am getting new wheels for my 2021 Expert. The alloy Rovals are heavy AF.

That is about all I want to mod... for now.

This bike rips!

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
Thanks guys for your thoughts.
If I can ask a Question on tyre width, so standard tyres are 2.3” fitted on 30mm rims.

Do I stick with 2.3” wide tyres or can I/should I go up to 2.4” or is that a big no as it could upset the bike balance?

Thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
Go on up to 2.5 if you want. No reason to spend money on valves unless they stop working.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 21:18 Quote
Id go 2.5 or 2.4 with Maxxis. But the 2.3 butcher is as wide as the 2,5 assegai and aggressor on my other bike.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 2:08 Quote
Monsterman156 wrote:
Id go 2.5 or 2.4 with Maxxis. But the 2.3 butcher is as wide as the 2,5 assegai and aggressor on my other bike.

This is what I needed to know; thanks really useful

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
I'm on a 2021 S3 Enduro Comp.

Two rides was all that I could tolerate on the 2.3 Butchers. Swapped to a 2.5 Assegai/2.4 DHR and won't be looking back. Dirt in my parts is either decomposed granite or clay. Basically loose-over-hard with very few roots and lots of grippy rocks. I have tried a DHR/DHR combo before and it was fine enough but my preference remains a DHF or Assegai up front.

No bash guard yet, as I've proven myself to have a good sense of where my chainring is. This will probably bite me in the arse one day.

Tubeless valves, I am using Cushcore because I have Cushcore XC in both tires for Rim protection. Did the bike come with tubeless valves? If so, I'd use those. To me, a valve is just a valve, so go with what you have on hand unless you have an aesthetic desire for something different.

I swapped the stock 150mm dropper out for a OneUp 210 (shimmed to 200) and would recommend this to just about everyone. You've probably got a longer dropper on an S5, maybe 175? I'd still go longer, if you can. There's almost zero tradeoff with using the longest possible dropper.

Future upgrades I have in mind are:

1) Rear shock. The bike is already super planted but may as well go all-in on the planted feeling and switch to a coil. I'll probably wait until I get a day of bike park riding to pull the trigger.
2) Rear hub. The Specialized-branded Formula hub is SOOO heavy. Definitely going to upgrade to a DT350, Hope or I9. Might not apply to your Expert build which probably has a better hub.
3) Drivetrain. Also doesn't really apply to your expert build, which I think has GX or X01. But the compo came with NX. It's functional, but clunky and heavy. When I swap that hub I'll definitely go with GX or XT, maybe the new GX AXS if the wallet allows.
4) Mullet? Debating this one. I'd need a new rear wheel and maybe a link. But a hub swap probably means new spokes and at that point, it's just a rim away from a new wheel.

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
Thanks Bocomtb
New minion DHR’s are on their way. The Butchers are terrible. No confidence on berms they give way to easily and nearly low sided a root section at the weekend. Just didn’t have these issues with the maxxis.
I’ve ordered a tubeless kit so I’ll give that a go when I change out the tyres. These tyres can’t come quick enough.

Next upgrades will be a Burgtec stem, would appreciate any advice on the length and angles as I don’t want to stray away from current stem geometry, if anyone knows what the current one is or can advise on what the degrees and how length is measured; I’d be grateful.

Will likely get the Hope carbon handlebars to go with the stem, May cut them down to match the expert width but I notice the s works is wider than the experts, assuming ultimately it’s down to personal preference?

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 21:59 Quote
Wesleyjones wrote:
Hi Everyone
I’ve just bought a 2021 S5 Enduro Expert. I’m Coming from a canyon spectral and I’m really happy with the switch so far.

When I read your post I was so excited because I bought an S5 enduro expert after my Canyon Spectral as well... Wow..

As far as upgrades, I changed the dropper post after 3rides the stock one was terrible. I went with rock shock reverb, was concerned with set up going in but positively impressed how easy it was at the end..
For some reason I got along with the butcher tires so far, so didn't touch them yet. I bought a bash chain guard so I feel safer about my rock hops. But that's about it, I need to ride more bike parks to really understand what upgrade the bike needs because tbh it is really good as stock.
Maybe a coil shock could be interesting.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 21:41 Quote
Wesleyjones wrote:
Hi Everyone

Hey Enduro owners! I just got the S3 Enduro Expert with Fox Float X2 Performance shock, and i must say I am having the hardest time tuning it. Even with around 275 PSI (almost at the max 300 for the shock) I am bottoming out with bunny hops! And that's with both volume spacers inserted. And Im a pretty light guy (170 lbs). How have you guys been getting along with the shock??

O+
Posted: May 20, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
pnwshred wrote:

Hey Enduro owners! I just got the S3 Enduro Expert with Fox Float X2 Performance shock, and i must say I am having the hardest time tuning it. Even with around 275 PSI (almost at the max 300 for the shock) I am bottoming out with bunny hops! And that's with both volume spacers inserted. And Im a pretty light guy (170 lbs). How have you guys been getting along with the shock??

Something isn't right there, I have a 21 float X2 factory and I run 260psi at 195lb RTR with a full swat and water.

I'm an aggressive rider and I run it on the stiffer side, 275psi seems way out of wack.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2021 at 4:55 Quote
j6y wrote:
pnwshred wrote:

Something isn't right there, I have a 21 float X2 factory and I run 260psi at 195lb RTR with a full swat and water.

I'm an aggressive rider and I run it on the stiffer side, 275psi seems way out of wack.

I don’t think so to get sag at least. Anyone can make a bike bottom out bunny hoping if you try hard enough. I’m 195 in my birthday suit. 275psi gets me 16mm of sag dust seal to o-ring which is roughly 27% sag. I would love to run 25% but don’t think I can get there. I might try a super deluxe. I use full travel on most rides but don’t feel harsh bottoms. Top of Cat 1 enduro racer for reference.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2021 at 18:27 Quote
pnwshred wrote:
Wesleyjones wrote:
Hi Everyone

Have you been equalizing the positive and negative air chambers as you pump it up?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013678
Mobile Version of Website