SB165 to Dual Crown Mullet

PB Forum :: Yeti
SB165 to Dual Crown Mullet
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
Hey -- I searched for this but it didn't seem like anything was flushed out. Has anyone built up an sb165 w/ a 29er dual crown fork? Seems like if I got from stock Fox 36 to a boxxer 180mm, it will only raise my headtube up like 15mm --- anyone done this or have thoughts on it. Will I be leaned too far back?

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
ghw223 wrote:
it will only raise my headtube up like 15mm

The difference in axle-to-crown length accounts for only what's above the axle; you also need to add the larger wheel radius below the axle, which is another 19 mm.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
ghw223 wrote:
it will only raise my headtube up like 15mm

The difference in axle-to-crown length accounts for only what's above the axle; you also need to add the larger wheel radius below the axle, which is another 19 mm.

Yeah my problem was a was referencing this article:

https://flowmountainbike.com/features/nerd-alert-wheel-size-by-the-numbers/

says only 10mm diameter difference. So 11mm on different forks axle to crown, and 5mm on the half tire diameter.

Like tires though seem to be closer to 25mm difference in diameter -- so total of 11 + 12.5 = ~24mm higher.

Still has anyone tried this?

(To be clear I understand where you get 19mm, 29in minus 27.5 = 1.5in. .75 in in MM is 19, I just dont think in practice the actual sizes come out like that).

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 11:56 Quote
A 27.5" rim has a diameter of 584 mm. A 29 mm rim has a diameter of 622 mm. Halve those to find the radii and you have a difference of 19 mm. That's not some estimate, that's a fraction-of-a-millimeter precise number and is required to be precisely so by standards organizations. Any difference above or below 19 mm is due to your choice of tire, which is up to you.

The numbers I gave you aren't some ballpark guesstimate. The difference is exactly as stated on both axle-to-crown and wheel radius. The axle-to-crown isn't vertical, so the height difference is about 1.5 mm less than the axle-to-crown. The total height gain is essentially an inch.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008410
Mobile Version of Website