Riding headphones recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Riding headphones recommendations
Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 5:11 Quote
Looking for recommendations of riding headphones.
The in ear ones i've always had either fall out of my ear (if I'm not wearing a full face), or they make a whistling sound as the wind rushes past them when going high speed, again, when not wearing full face.
I'm look for some that will stay in my ears, low profile, or don't make a wind whistle.
Ideally I'd like to have some controls on the wire for skip track, volume and answer calls that I can use with gloves on. Or if your favourites are wireless, then can you do those things with voice control?

I still want to be able to hear what's going on around me, so I don't want noise cancelling ones.

Any recommendations?
Thanks

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 5:32 Quote
Imo get some AfterShokz and never look back. Bone conduction headphones have changed my life.
Pros:
* Nothing in your ear so you can still hear ambient noise depending on the volume level
* Sound quality is surprisingly good for nothing in your ear
* Pausing your music means you can hear your surrounds normally meaning you don't have to take them on and off constantly to talk to people
* Since they wrap around your ear they don't fall off ever

Con:
* If you listen to podcasts or something quiet then it will be hard to hear it while riding
* Can be uncomfortable while wearing a helmet. This is highly dependent on the model you get, your helmet and your head. I don't have an issue with it but I know some people who did

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
The cheapest ones you can find that work for you and your helmet. I like over-ear ear buds, but regardless if one thing stands true, you will sweat on them, smash them, drop them in water, send them cartwheeling off into the woods, and generally are not an investment you want to put any of your hard earned dollarydoos into.

Pre-COVID when I was actually riding, between street and trail I would go through about 5-10 pairs a year.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
dontrideontheroads wrote:
Looking for recommendations of riding headphones.
The in ear ones i've always had either fall out of my ear (if I'm not wearing a full face), or they make a whistling sound as the wind rushes past them when going high speed, again, when not wearing full face.
I'm look for some that will stay in my ears, low profile, or don't make a wind whistle.
Ideally I'd like to have some controls on the wire for skip track, volume and answer calls that I can use with gloves on. Or if your favourites are wireless, then can you do those things with voice control?

I still want to be able to hear what's going on around me, so I don't want noise cancelling ones.

Any recommendations?
Thanks
the cheap apple ones they seem to stay in my ears are relatively good quality and are 20 quid

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
AfterShokz Aeropex
look no further.

I used to buy cheap $5 BT headphones on ebay, but each lasted about 2 months

then, I decided to commit and spend some good money on the AS, to see if the hype was real...
They changed my life. for real!!!

they are AMAZING... nothing I've seen compares.

(I know I said I only bought cheap crap before, but I do have tested friends super fancy headphones... NOTHING compares to the Aeropex) ...The Aftershoz Air are not that nice... they have a akward vibration. stay away from those
go for the Aeropex

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 12:41 Quote
There are many people out walking, running and cycling with headphones and they are a menace.

Completely oblivious to their surroundings and what is going on.

I get seriously passed off when you try to pass some of these and get a right earful because they could not.hear a bell or your " excuse me".

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
I'm with Mark on this one. If you're on trail with other users having headphones in makes you oblivious to anyone who might be behind you or out of visual range. Around here is definitely against proper trail etiquette because of this. Of course if where you ride has either no traffic or at least is a wide pathway headphones are fine.

Bone conduction headphones seem like a great solution to that.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 14:50 Quote
mark-p wrote:
There are many people out walking, running and cycling with headphones and they are a menace.

I get seriously passed off when you try to pass some of these and get a right earful because they could not.hear a bell or your " excuse me".
I think it depends if your on like a big path with lots of people or a road not good but if your on a night ride or at your local dh tracks doing laps and its a quite path it’s completely fine. Also on a bike your going relatively quick so no one overtakes you anyways

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
mark-p wrote:

If you're approaching anyone doing anything, cycling or otherwise, in a way they may not see and/or hear you its your responsibility to mitigate that situation to include not getting 'seriously passed' about it. Assuming someone can hear you is incredibly misguided on so many levels--use your imagination.

Now, back to suggestions about headphones...

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
mark-p wrote:

If you're approaching anyone doing anything, cycling or otherwise, in a way they may not see and/or hear you its your responsibility to mitigate that situation to include not getting 'seriously passed' about it. Assuming someone can hear you is incredibly misguided on so many levels--use your imagination.

Now, back to suggestions about headphones...

I've literally had to yell nearly at the top of my lungs approaching hikers and bikers from behind while they had earbuds in. Some of them I couldn't get their attention at all and they get startled when I pass them in a wide section. Then they give me the stink eye like I'm the problem.

It's horribly inconsiderate to other trail users. If you want to play music on single track trails you NEED to hear your surroundings if there's going to be other trail users around.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 19:17 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
I've literally had to yell nearly at the top of my lungs approaching hikers and bikers from behind while they had earbuds in. Some of them I couldn't get their attention at all and they get startled when I pass them in a wide section. Then they give me the stink eye like I'm the problem.

It's horribly inconsiderate to other trail users. If you want to play music on single track trails you NEED to hear your surroundings if there's going to be other trail users around.

So what are you going to do with a deaf rider or hiker, especially when you aren't aware of it? Scream more at the top of your lungs? Ask them not to ride or hike because they can't hear their surroundings?

Everyone is responsible for being a diligent user on trail. Riding with headphones is neither inconsiderate nor irresponsible on its own. Someone can certainly be aware while listening to music as equally as they could being deaf -- don't paint with a broad stroke, its f*cking ridiculous.

OPs thread also isn't about this petty soapbox BS, either.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 22:21 Quote
I have ridden with the powerbeats pro and they are great at staying in.

Not a fan of riding downhill with them but they’re awesome if you’re grinding up a road

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 3:25 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:

So what are you going to do with a deaf rider or hiker, especially when you aren't aware of it? Scream more at the top of your lungs? Ask them not to ride or hike because they can't hear their surroundings?

Everyone is responsible for being a diligent user on trail. Riding with headphones is neither inconsiderate nor irresponsible on its own. Someone can certainly be aware while listening to music as equally as they could being deaf -- don't paint with a broad stroke, its f*cking ridiculous.

There is probably ratio of 1 deaf rider/hiker to 99 zombies unaware of surroundings with earbuds. With Covid even more tele-zombies.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 3:33 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:

Have to agree, when I come up on slower riders at my local I see the responsibility is mine to pass considerately an when it's safe. Just like driving, you don't just plow past a slower car... you wait untill it's safe for all (well, most of us do)
That being said, If I'm riding with buds in I only have one

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 3:33 Quote
I get annoyed as much as anyone else about people being unaware of their surroundings while out on the trail. I never play music at a volume that means I can't hear what's around me, and I specifically want headphones that will let me hear the surrounding sounds.

But thanks for bringing your agro to my friendly suggestions thread Big Grin

It's partly that reasons that I'm very curious about the bone conducting headphones, but am worried about how they'll fit inside my full face helmet. My riding is about 50/50 open face & full face helmets, so ideally I want something that will work with both

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006227
Mobile Version of Website