Wrist fusion surgery? Is it worth it?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Wrist fusion surgery? Is it worth it?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
I’ve had several broken wrists and surgeries to try to fix it. My last option is to fuse it. I’m 39 and a little scared of it. Does anyone have experience and a recommendation on whether it was a good choice to continue biking and an active life? It’s very painful and has become weak, but not sure of the loss of mobility is worth it or if the pain goes away completely and restores some normality to life. Please help . Thanks

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 23:11 Quote
check the Travis Pastrana instagram account. As far as I understood he is just back on his dirt bike after a wrist fuse in December

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 0:18 Quote
Here's a link asking about this topic. Last post was in 2017, I'd see if you can try to reach out especially to the most recent poster:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/wrist-fusion.547176/

Have you tried riding with a significant wrist brace to somewhat mimic a fusion? I've had a wrist issue and had to wear a wrist brace and I was still able to ride downhill with the brace on (right hand).

From what I understand, being young (39 is considered young still) and having an occupation/activities that are more strenuous are likely a contraindication to an artificial wrist joint. Even if you have a surgeon who'd do try that, I would still be thinking you'd have to protect the more fragile artificial joint by using a significant brace when biking.

Is it your dominant or non-dominant hand?

FWIW, I ran into a guy who was downhill biking with an prosthesis/limb (arm) last year. If that's possible, it must be possible to bike with a fused wrist?

As far as completely giving up an active life, that may not be necessary. For example, if you're a skier, then switch to snowboarding, etc.

Now if I can only find some feedback about an total ankle joint replacement besides video's/stories from people over 65!

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
Cemer wrote:
I’ve had several broken wrists and surgeries to try to fix it. My last option is to fuse it. I’m 39 and a little scared of it. Does anyone have experience and a recommendation on whether it was a good choice to continue biking and an active life? It’s very painful and has become weak, but not sure of the loss of mobility is worth it or if the pain goes away completely and restores some normality to life. Please help . Thanks

Had my wrist fully fused in 2017. Broke my wrist back in 05 skating and never knew it. Year later dr said I needed surgery to fix my lunate to scaphoid joint. That surgery didn’t work so I tried 3 more. All no Bueno. Finally did the full fusion in 2017 and pain was finally gone. You get used to the loss of mobility and I was riding 4 months after surgery. I had to have the bar they put in removed after 2 years cause 2 screws broke and was causing pain. I ride pretty hard so I would recommend getting the bar removed if you do as well. All in all it was definitely worth It. Good luck.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005694
Mobile Version of Website