Longer & Slacker: A Bike Rack Nightmare

PB Forum :: 29ers
Longer & Slacker: A Bike Rack Nightmare
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
Evening folks,

With the current trend of making bikes longer & slacker, I’ve found myself stuck for choice when it comes to purchasing a new roof-mount bike rack to be used with my impending new enduro bike (Bird AM9). This is mainly due to the bikes getting longer but the bike racks only accepting around 1200mm max wheelbase.

My question to you all is what roof-mount bike racks do you use for 29ers with a wheelbase longer than 1240mm (size large and up)? So far the following racks are either officially or unofficially confirmed as being compatible:

Thule Upride
Thule Proride
Thule Fastride
Thule Topride
Yakima Highspeed
Yakima Frontloader
All Seasucker bike racks

I’m more interesting in knowing if people have had success with the following bike racks as they state an official lower ‘max wheelbase’ but nobody has confirmed if they work:

Yakima Highroad
Yakima Highspeed
Thule Outride

Any information (and pictures of use) will be greatly appreciated!

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
MrKnightUK wrote:
Evening folks,

With the current trend of making bikes longer & slacker, I’ve found myself stuck for choice when it comes to purchasing a new roof-mount bike rack to be used with my impending new enduro bike (Bird AM9). This is mainly due to the bikes getting longer but the bike racks only accepting around 1200mm max wheelbase.

My question to you all is what roof-mount bike racks do you use for 29ers with a wheelbase longer than 1240mm (size large and up)? So far the following racks are either officially or unofficially confirmed as being compatible:

Thule Upride
Thule Proride
Thule Fastride
Thule Topride
Yakima Highspeed
Yakima Frontloader
All Seasucker bike racks

I’m more interesting in knowing if people have had success with the following bike racks as they state an official lower ‘max wheelbase’ but nobody has confirmed if they work:

Yakima Highroad
Yakima Highspeed
Thule Outride

Any information (and pictures of use) will be greatly appreciated!

i've been using the proride 598 with my 2021 C slash the rack can go longer than the bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 22:21 Quote
If 1up racks are available where you are, I’d go with that. It’s a very sturdy, easy to use rack. Fits my bike at 1230mm with plenty of room for a much bigger bike.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 3:54 Quote
My large AM9 fits on a Thule 591 without any issues. I've also carried a slightly longer Starling Murmur as well although that was pretty close to the limit.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 4:19 Quote
Rocky mounts brassknuckles?

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 4:47 Quote
EzyGrip Ebike rack is a good option as it allows a wheelbase of 1400mm and allows heavy bikes on it, if your car can take it. Not to expensive if it is available in your country.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 5:08 Quote
I have a Thule euroway. My Guerilla Gravity is a little too long for it. I was supposed to weld some extensions on it for the wheels to fit, but I just ended up using a ratchet strap. It keeps the bike nice and secure, even better than what the thule frame arm does.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008968
Mobile Version of Website