Haro Steel Reserve 1.2 Feels Tiny - DJ Bike sizing?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Haro Steel Reserve 1.2 Feels Tiny - DJ Bike sizing?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 19:06 Quote
So I picked up a used Haro Steel Reserve 1.2 and it feels tiny. I've never ridden a DJ before. Been to the pump track a couple of times on a dual sport hybrid and decided I wanted a full on dirt jumper. I'm not sure if the bike is really just way too small for me, or if I just need to get used to it (and maybe some slightly higher handlebars). I'm 6'2", but a lot of the dirt jumpers I researched only come in one or two sizes, so I didn't think much of it at first. But after riding around in the driveway, I have to be careful or my knees might hit the handlebars.

So do I just need a bigger bike? And if so, any recommendations?

Tried to have my 6yr old take some pics to help.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 21:24 Quote
So first of all, your body position is very upright, elbows straight, ride it in attack position, unless you are just cruising.

Second those bars are pretty low, try abit taller rise(3" or more, maybe wider too), while that bike is not large, 10 years ago it was on the longer side of dj bikes, they have definitely gotten longer recently.

What you want out of it may dictate how you see it. Do you want to ride it around learning tricks, and jumps, or just ride it and chase your kiddo?

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
allsk8sno wrote:
So first of all, your body position is very upright, elbows straight...
Second those bars are pretty low, try abit taller rise(3" or more, maybe wider too)...
Do you want to ride it around learning tricks, and jumps, or just ride it and chase your kiddo?
Thanks for the feedback. I've gotten more comfortable in the last few weeks, but still feels a bit small. My son and I have been going to a local bike park with dirt jumps and one line that is good for pumping. I try to be conscious of my body position when riding, and I definitely don't ride as upright as I am in the photos in my driveway. I need to have him record me.

I've thought about higher rise bars (would also need a new stem) like deity high sides, but then started wondering if I should just wait until larger bikes are in stock, sell the haro, and get something else.

At my age I'm not trying to learn crazy tricks. I just enjoy the bike park and would like to be able to hang on some of the tamer jump lines. I did just build a manual machine yesterday too.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
gnfam wrote:
So I picked up a used Haro Steel Reserve 1.2 and it feels tiny. I've never ridden a DJ before. Been to the pump track a couple of times on a dual sport hybrid and decided I wanted a full on dirt jumper. I'm not sure if the bike is really just way too small for me, or if I just need to get used to it (and maybe some slightly higher handlebars). I'm 6'2", but a lot of the dirt jumpers I researched only come in one or two sizes, so I didn't think much of it at first. But after riding around in the driveway, I have to be careful or my knees might hit the handlebars.

So do I just need a bigger bike? And if so, any recommendations?

Tried to have my 6yr old take some pics to help.

This thread caught my attention, as I am 6'2" and also ride a 2020 Haro Steel Reserve 1.2! I would definitely NOT want a larger/longer frame! I'm considering a Transition PBJ, but would get the regular/small, as it also has a 22.5" top tube (22.8" effective top tube). I think that the main thing regarding sizing that I have noticed us that guys that go to a dirt jumper from a mountain bike background want longer frames. Guys that get on a dirt jumper from a bmx background want shorter frames, generally speaking. My bike feels too long already in the skate park. It feels perfect on bigger dirt jumps. Try adding some taller bars, perhaps. I added the Atomlab PimpLite 3" rise bars to mine.

[P=https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/20560532/[/P]

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 7:02 Quote
So I feel like a complete idiot. I bought my Steel Reserve used and honestly didn't really try it out before taking it home. Because DJs are so hard to come by these days, I reached out to the seller as soon as I saw the posting. I thought the bike only came in one size, but it turns out mine is 2019 that actually came in both a short and long frame. And sure enough, mine is the short one. I confirmed by measuring the top tube. The seller was the owner's mother, and I don't think she knew. But totally my fault.

So I'm selling the bike, and someone is supposed to check it out today. I ended up picking up a Redline Monocog Flight 26" in excellent condition last weekend. I know it's not a true DJ bike, but it'll do for what I want to do at this point. It's a 19" frame (size large) and is comfortable than the short haro. I'll just have to get used to the rigid fork or maybe get a suspension fork in the future.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004709
Mobile Version of Website