Presta valves are dumb

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Presta valves are dumb
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
In the era of narrow rims and weight nazis, presta valves were born to fit the narrow rims because schrader was too wide for the bike rims. However, the valves are worse than schrader because of the bent valve cores, having to turn that thing everytime you change pressure, and the fact that most pumps are schrader. Join me brothers, in the schrader revolution! With wide rims nowadays, schraders fit just fine and there is absolutely no reason for insuperior presta valves. We need rim companies to offer presta valve versions in their wheels, then our lives will be improved tremendously.

So whos with me?

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
doubleblackjack1 wrote:
In the era of narrow rims and weight nazis, presta valves were born to fit the narrow rims because schrader was too wide for the bike rims. However, the valves are worse than schrader because of the bent valve cores, having to turn that thing everytime you change pressure, and the fact that most pumps are schrader. Join me brothers, in the schrader revolution! With wide rims nowadays, schraders fit just fine and there is absolutely no reason for insuperior presta valves. We need rim companies to offer presta valve versions in their wheels, then our lives will be improved tremendously.

So whos with me?

based on how schrader's pinch, harder to let air out, harder to remove core to do sealant the proper way
i'll stick to the superior Presta, thanks Wink

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
doubleblackjack1 wrote:

So whos with me?

I can for sure see where your coming from. I actually really like scrader. But, I love how easy it it to let air out of a presta and how easy it is to remove the valve core and put sealent in. Honestly, I could care less about which one I used. I do wish presta's were stronger though.

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
I find that putting sealant in via tire is pretty easy and not messy, and i let air out with my fingernail or if i have gloves on, a multitool.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
You sound kinda like DCA. Honestly though, I really like schrader and wish that people would use them more. Presta does have it's advantages though

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 11:42 Quote
Amen brother. I've been drilling my rims for 30 years.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
Schraders have a much better cap selection

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
Schrader every time.
I am sick of the little threaded widget getting bent, trying to undo the stupid nut in the cold/wet.
I drill all the rims as you can then fit either. Most Presta come with a nut that has a collar to centre it in the larger hole.

The only thing I don't much care for is Schrader tubes that have a rubber coated valve stem, then can gradually get pulled into the tyre at an angle. Clearly for tubeless it is irrelevant as the valve is attached to the rim.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
i say thicker presta valves so they dont bend but you can still do the tappy thing to let air out and put sealant in like a civilized person.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 10:47 Quote
Tubeless Schrader Valves: https://www.amazon.com/VeloTubes-FR-21-40mm-Blue/dp/B07MCJ1RRN/ref=asc_df_B07MCJ1RRN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385584121419&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10580902868009272384&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033026&hvtargid=pla-825042656150&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78921461176&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385584121419&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10580902868009272384&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033026&hvtargid=pla-825042656150

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
You sound kinda like DCA. Honestly though, I really like schrader and wish that people would use them more. Presta does have it's advantages though

Presta has an advantage with tubeless IMHO. My concern is how Schrader plays with tubeless sealant, especially the super stuff like Stans Race which clogs everything up.

Currently over the course of checking & changing air pressure (usually every time I ride), little bits of sealant build up on the inside of my valves and the valve no longer springs back with a perfect seal after I remove the pump- it seeps a little. With Presta, I simply tighten the valve down until the seeping stops. It’s extremely reliable in that regard.

That’s not an option with Schrader- if it starts seeping from sealant building up in the valve, either have you to deflate the tire to pull & replace the core (which I could see becoming a frequent and annoying job), or, sit and wait for the sealant to plug the leaky valve like the leak that it’s become- which sounds like an unreliable and crap solution as well.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 22:02 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

Presta has an advantage with tubeless IMHO. My concern is how Schrader plays with tubeless sealant, especially the super stuff like Stans Race which clogs everything up.

Currently over the course of checking & changing air pressure (usually every time I ride), little bits of sealant build up on the inside of my valves and the valve no longer springs back with a perfect seal after I remove the pump- it seeps a little. With Presta, I simply tighten the valve down until the seeping stops. It’s extremely reliable in that regard.

That’s not an option with Schrader- if it starts seeping from sealant building up in the valve, either have you to deflate the tire to pull & replace the core (which I could see becoming a frequent and annoying job), or, sit and wait for the sealant to plug the leaky valve like the leak that it’s become- which sounds like an unreliable and crap solution as well.

I have run tubeless, schrader valve setups for 2 years on a few rims and they have all worked fine. Duct tape rim tape, stans sealant, and chinese schrader valves. Works like it should and no problems.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 22:44 Quote
doubleblackjack1 wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
(...)

I have run tubeless, schrader valve setups for 2 years on a few rims and they have all worked fine. Duct tape rim tape, stans sealant, and chinese schrader valves. Works like it should and no problems.

It may work for you but the fact remains that if the valve gets clogged with sealant, in case of schrader you're f*cked while with presta you can just screw the tip in a little harder.

FL
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 23:55 Quote
you know you can remove schreader vales just like presta, right?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010748
Mobile Version of Website