Presta valves are dumb

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Presta valves are dumb
| Next Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 5:17 Quote
I know that. That is not the issue. It's that with presta you can in some cases keep on riding by just screwing the top of the valve a little tighter, while with schrader you need to replace the valve core. Just annoying when you don't have a spare valve core with you at the time by accident.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
you know you can remove schreader vales just like presta, right?

The point is with Schrader, a new valve core is your only option. With Presta, you can usually fix the issue in 1/2 a second by just tightening it. I’ll take the latter, especially when it happens out on the trail.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 20:09 Quote
You can’t tighten a schrader valve. They’re inherently less reliable due to that. Especially in the case of using sealant.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 20:17 Quote
I'm confused, are we talking about the valve itself or the valve core?

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 5:35 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
I'm confused, are we talking about the valve itself or the valve core?

Both. One sorta goes with the other.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
But both Presta and schreader valve cores can be removed... so......

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
1stevenml wrote:
You can’t tighten a schrader valve. They’re inherently less reliable due to that. Especially in the case of using sealant.

If this is correct then why is Schrader everywhere except bikes?

Is it the higher pressures in road tyres where Presta originated? The first Presta valves just has a rubber sleeve over the inside bit to seal the air so the screw nut was essential to provide a better seal. On Schrader you have a spring and internal air pressure.

I can see how sealant could cause issues with any valve as the gunk and filler in particular can have fibres or particles in to block holes. If the get on the valve seat it could cause an issue.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
mark-p wrote:
1stevenml wrote:

If this is correct then why is Schrader everywhere except bikes?

I can see how sealant could cause issues with any valve as the gunk and filler in particular can have fibres or particles in to block holes. If the get on the valve seat it could cause an issue.

You just answered your own question. Schrader is everywhere except bikes because those other applications don’t use goopey sealant that can clog 1/4” holes and mess up the seal. Sealant isn’t used in shocks, or car tires (usually), or HVAC systems, or any of the other numerous industrial applications where you see Schrader valves.

Sealant doesn’t stop Presta from working because it can be tightened down with relatively significant force; it’s not at the mercy of a weak spring & back pressure to keep it closed. Sealant building up on a Presta valve doesn’t really affect it much.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 19:13 Quote
katypervy wrote:
Schraders have a much better cap selection
especially when you take them off random peoples cars in the trailhead parking lot!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015286
Mobile Version of Website