Full Face Helmets

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
Im in the market. I want a detachable face guard for the all-day rides.
I am looking at some.
How much is the face guard supposed to protect? I can envision hitting something, if the visor or forehead area of the helmet misses it, and my face and face guard hit that I could still break my nose or crack my face.
Maybe the face guard on the one Im looking at is too short.
I am sure it will protect my teeth, but what sort of nose protection will an enduro-style helmet offer?
I know a fullblown DH or motorcycle helmet will do better, but that wont work for a long day.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 20:54 Quote
Get an enduro style full face. Removable chin bar helmets aren’t worth it unless they meet astm certification, and then they aren’t any better than ones with a standard chin bar. As for nose protection wear goggles like a normal person. Buy a normal full face and if it gets too hot take out the cheek pads.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 6:11 Quote
ajriding wrote:
I am looking at some.
How much is the face guard supposed to protect? I can envision hitting something, if the visor or forehead area of the helmet misses it, and my face and face guard hit that I could still break my nose or crack my face.
I am sure it will protect my teeth, but what sort of nose protection will an enduro-style helmet offer?
I know a fullblown DH or motorcycle helmet will do better, but that wont work for a long day.

The Bell Super Air R is a good option for Trail riding. It provides good protection for what it’s designed for, trail riding.

If you want DH level protection, I would suggest a DH specific helmet.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
Get an enduro style full face. Removable chin bar helmets aren’t worth it unless they meet astm certification, and then they aren’t any better than ones with a standard chin bar. As for nose protection wear goggles like a normal person. Buy a normal full face and if it gets too hot take out the cheek pads.

This. Plenty of options. A Parachute/Stage/Mainline/Proframe will be fine for an all day pedal, unless it's absolutely roasting.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
Had a detachable chin bar helmet. Actually still do. Ended up never taking off the bar and bought a regular FF that's more trail oriented, though it is DH certified. It's lighter, cooler, and one less failure point. I keep the old one as a spare now and seldom take it out of it's bag.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
ajriding wrote:
I am looking at some.
giro switchblade is downhill certified and very comfy i have one and I like it

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
I'm awaiting delivery of a Bell Super DH. It's DH rated but convertible. My thoughts being I'd be much more inclined to wear a full face if I could detach the chin bar for riding on the street to the trail head or sweaty climbs.

I can provide more feedback when it arrives. The Giro Switchblade seemed like the next most popular convertible full face when I was doing my homework.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
Used a Bell Super 3R for just over a year. The chin bar passes DH chinbar tests and the only reason these removable chinbar helmets can't pass the DH test is because the have too many vents and so can't pass the intrusion part of the test.

Anyway, crashed my Bell Super 3R, chinbar passed with flying colours, helmet stayed together and I dented the top and side pretty good. Bell offers 30% off for crash replacements so I bought a new one and sold it. I, like someone else mentioned, ended up just never taking the chinbar off, esspecially when I went with a full packless set-up - no where to put the chinbar! So I bought a one-piece molded trail full face - The Kali Invader - and use it full time.

Have a couple freinds with Giro Switchblades (wayyy too hot) and a couple with Fox Proframes (2-peice and hot as well... plus lots of reports of the chinbar breaking off at the sides where it's barely attached to the rest of the helmet) so I stayed away from those. The new Smith looks pretty good, but potentially hot, the IXS looks good too.

Kali also offers a lifetime, one-time free crash replacement. Have been using this helmet for a year and half and love it. Ventilation is awesome... cooler than some half-shells I've used, ha! Only one day (36 degrees C) that I removed the cheekpads for a long climb. Other than that it's been awesome.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 15:29 Quote
Bell is the only one that I felt made a nice looking half shell and functional full face with the 2, 3, Air R. I have always ran Giro helmets but I don’t get along with they way they cut the half shell and the Switchblade.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 15:40 Quote
I had a Bell Super 3 for a few years. I used the chin bar less than 10 times, despite saving facial skin on one of those occasion.

It's way too easy to leave the chin bar in your pack or whatever, thinking "nah, I'll just chill out on this downhill" in order to save a minute or two. For me anyways. One of my buddies uses a Bell Super 3 and is much more vigilant about using his chin bar.

To protect me from me I now use a Fox Proframe. Ventilates well enough that I never wish I was wearing a half-lid instead. Haven't put the chin bar to the test yet, don't plan to, but at least it's always going to be there.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
I agree that Bell is the only company where the latching system actually makes sense. The side clips for the chin bar attach to the helmet in a way they'd actually have to sheer from the helmet to fail.

Super DH
- This is what I own. I love it but you should be aware the half lid is quite heavy. This is the only of the convertible helmets that passes the DH chin bar standard (despite some comments to the contrary above). All of my rides are pedal up and ride down. Ever since I got a metal plate installed in my elbow after an OTB, I pretty much always throw my elbows in the outside pocket of my pack and strap my chin bar on top of it. Rocks are hard.

Super 3R
- Quite a bit lighter. Not DH certified. Still better than smashing your face without a chin bar. My friend quite liked his.

Super Air R
- new last year. I think only has 2 clips instead of 3. Don't know much else about it.

A few years ago a quite skilled local rider had a random get off and ended up needing facial reconstruction surgery. If you're riding at high speeds or on challenging terrain bringing the chin bar is a wise decision. As they say in the moto world, dress for the crash not the ride. It's going to happen at some point.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 21:05 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
I agree that Bell is the only company where the latching system actually makes sense. The side clips for the chin bar attach to the helmet in a way they'd actually have to sheer from the helmet to fail.

Super DH
- This is what I own. I love it but you should be aware the half lid is quite heavy. This is the only of the convertible helmets that passes the DH chin bar standard (despite some comments to the contrary above). All of my rides are pedal up and ride down. Ever since I got a metal plate installed in my elbow after an OTB, I pretty much always throw my elbows in the outside pocket of my pack and strap my chin bar on top of it. Rocks are hard.

Super 3R
- Quite a bit lighter. Not DH certified. Still better than smashing your face without a chin bar. My friend quite liked his.

Super Air R
- new last year. I think only has 2 clips instead of 3. Don't know much else about it.

A few years ago a quite skilled local rider had a random get off and ended up needing facial reconstruction surgery. If you're riding at high speeds or on challenging terrain bringing the chin bar is a wise decision. As they say in the moto world, dress for the crash not the ride. It's going to happen at some point.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/lightweight-convertible-full-face-helmets-review/

https://youtu.be/XWH13HUz4mg

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
ajriding wrote:
I am looking at some.
How much is the face guard supposed to protect?

Most people would call it a "chin bar" vice "face guard", and it is very unlikely that you'd break your nose if you land face first. The chin bar and the brow of the helmet would impact a flat surface before your nose - unless you have a really big nose. If you land on anything other than a flat surface then you may have impact to the face. Example: the pointy end of a rock or stump.
I have a removeable chin bar on my Bell and I have landed on my face on the ground - my nose was fine. My buddy also fell on his face while wearing a full face DH rated helmet. He was knocked out cold - his nose was fine.
Look at some pictures of people in their helmets and you'll see that the face is protected from normal impact.

But trust me when I tell you if you're landing on your head your nose will not be your biggest concern.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 20:51 Quote
I have IXS trigger ff mips.coudnt be happier!!!!really light,

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005143
Mobile Version of Website