How to put freehub oil in/on hubs...?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to put freehub oil in/on hubs...?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
noob question...

I bought some We Are One carbon wheels. Had read that the rims are on the loud side, but that many people had put a bit of Dumonde Freehub oil in them which quieted them down nicely, so I got some of that too...

how exactly would I 'apply' it?

do I actually need to take the hub apart and then put in?

seems that if I were to just pour a bit from the outside, not much would get in.

any guidance on how exactly to do this?

thanks in advance!

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:24 Quote
Sivante wrote:
noob question...

I bought some We Are One carbon wheels. Had read that the rims are on the loud side, but that many people had put a bit of Dumonde Freehub oil in them which quieted them down nicely, so I got some of that too...

how exactly would I 'apply' it?

do I actually need to take the hub apart and then put in?

seems that if I were to just pour a bit from the outside, not much would get in.

any guidance on how exactly to do this?

thanks in advance!

The rear wheel hub is the source of the noise. Look at the manufacturer's website for the hubs to find out the service requirements. Example. Industry Nine (I9) may be the hubs you have on your wheel. So look at their site under "Support" and you can see videos for them. Also search YouTube for practically every bike hub - somebody has posted videos about so many you can watch for days. Start by knowing what hub you've got and you're on the right track.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 20:41 Quote
And if you are talking I9 Hydras, the grease will quiet them down for about 30-50 miles then you are back at full steam.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 23:10 Quote
Or just embrace the noise and don't worry about it

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 4:02 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Or just embrace the noise and don't worry about it

I am pretty OCD about any creak or squeak on my bike, but I LOVE loud hubs. We get pretty heavy foot traffic on our trails out here and 99% of hikers will move for a mountain biker if they hear you coming, so just give it a little freewheel and they typically jump to one side of the trail or the other. When I ran DT 350s before, i didn’t get that perk and it’s life changing, especially now when it’s frowned upon to open your mouth in public.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004778
Mobile Version of Website