Tannus Tubless vs Cush Core Inserts

PB Forum :: Downhill
Tannus Tubless vs Cush Core Inserts
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 17:02 Quote
I’ve been a hardcore Cush core fan since the beginning. DH bike? Cush core. XC hard tail? Cush core. Beach cruiser? You better you bottom dollar Betsy. However, the new Tannus tubeless insert has caught my eye as a lighter weight option for climbing. Unfortunately the one quality I require from Cush core seems to be vaguely mentioned throughout the internet. That crucial question is how hard is it to blow a tire off a rim in a corner.

I have a problem with keeping tires in their home. Before Cush core I was smoking tires in corners with 40 PSI and tubes but this magical product fixed all my problems. I went from deciding to ruin tires/wheels or having no traction to having my cake and eating it like a 6 year old at a power rangers themed birthday party. I can’t live without inserts but as time goes on I can’t help but ask if there is now a better option? I understand the Tannus tubeless is not built like a dump truck as Cush core is. There will be limited flat tire performance and some support will go away, but how much? No one has been able to tell me how much of a comprise it will be swapping inserts.

If you have the answer please help me click that purchase button. I’ve been close many times but have yet to do so as I am worried I will be back to my tire murdering ways.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
It's pretty difficult to improve on the bead-anchoring properties of CushCore, especially if you're willing to use a size larger than recommended and really wedge it in there. I haven't used Tannus Tubeless, nor do I know anyone who has, so I can't comment on that.

Would you consider a wider rim? The added lateral stability of a wider rim often prevents tire collapse, which is usually the cause of a bead unseating.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 7:40 Quote
Good god you must be absolutely mocking into corners! I salute your bead killer antics.

So, there is a pretty good tire/insert review over on NSMB from a few months back. The guy tried to be simi scientific and used different tires casing with different insert to see what was fastest, or felt best, and at what weight penalty. If anything the review was solid food for thought.

I switched to tannus from CC for this season, but gotta wait another month for the lifts to open to know how she do. Parking lot test revealed some weight/rolling improvement or placebo.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
I never used cushcore but ive been using the tannus tubeless for about a year on a ripmo im very happy with it im 200 lbs and can run lower pressure and get better traction and sidewall support then ever

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
I got the tannus as a cost compromise over CC.

I think you should stay with CC. There is a nice damped sensation. The side wall is better supported.they are lighter. However, they don't has much of an effect as CC. I could not lower my pressure in my terrain (las vegas, mostly Cowboy and bootleg. With trips to flying monkey, Kong and Grafton) I did find my normal pressure to give good traction without cuts or pinch flats.

They corner better with the tannus that with out.

I have them in my WAO union wheels with 1100g tires.

However, they really stated to feel good on my DH wheelset where I have them in my Dh cased maxxis tires. I dont know why they feel very good and I am definitely faster compared to before.

I wanted some extra rim protection for the stans EX3 wheel set I had re- built. I was flat spotting or breaking an ex3 with a DH casing at 28 psi every time I went to Bootleg. The tannus definitely helped. Now it's just spoke tension in the rear wheel.

All riding is on a 170F 155 R enduro. Not the fastest dude but hardly slow. 180lbs with a smashy and active style on the bike.

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 22:20 Quote
CC is better for keeping tires on the rim just by virtue of the shape and is easier to seal a bead.

Tannus is lighter, cheaper, and has less rolling resistance, but takes a bit of technique and perfect "window alignment" with the valve to get your tires to seal.

They're both about equal in my experience for keeping your wheel from exploding.

I think CC is easier to install once you adopt the soapy water solution/trash can method.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 19:30 Quote
I have ridden both, and will attest that CC provides a more noticeably damped feeling. Tannus seems to protect the wheel decently well, but I can’t say that I feel it much inside my Schwalbe Big Bettys DH casing tires compared to when I initially switched to CC and immediately felt a difference. I swapped my 29er wheel to go mullet without any rim insert, and while the smaller wheel was a different hub, spokes, and rim from the 29er, the unprotected wheel lost tension in most spokes and the wheel went out of true in one day at Silver Mountain in ID. As for the OP’s original question, I’d say stick with CC in the back if you blow tires off the rim all the time—hard to leave a winning formula.

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 23:37 Quote
Lando406 wrote:
I have ridden both, and will attest that CC provides a more noticeably damped feeling. Tannus seems to protect the wheel decently well, but I can’t say that I feel it much inside my Schwalbe Big Bettys DH casing tires compared to when I initially switched to CC and immediately felt a difference. I swapped my 29er wheel to go mullet without any rim insert, and while the smaller wheel was a different hub, spokes, and rim from the 29er, the unprotected wheel lost tension in most spokes and the wheel went out of true in one day at Silver Mountain in ID. As for the OP’s original question, I’d say stick with CC in the back if you blow tires off the rim all the time—hard to leave a winning formula.

I’m at silver right now and it seems rougher than normal this time of year. Spokes are staying tight and no dings with the tannus. Cheers.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
Silver is rugged right now. The NAEC race tore it up.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
Lando406 wrote:
Silver is rugged right now. The NAEC race tore it up.

I’m looking forward to hitting up svr and legacy this month.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
Update: slashed a small hole rear tire on lower hammer after landing on a pointy rock and rode my bike about 2000’ vert with 12 psi through bullshit tech with no damage to my rim on tannus. Saved my day.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 16:41 Quote
that's a decent testimonial

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 14:10 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
Good god you must be absolutely mocking into corners! I salute your bead killer antics.

So, there is a pretty good tire/insert review over on NSMB from a few months back. The guy tried to be simi scientific and used different tires casing with different insert to see what was fastest, or felt best, and at what weight penalty. If anything the review was solid food for thought.

I switched to tannus from CC for this season, but gotta wait another month for the lifts to open to know how she do. Parking lot test revealed some weight/rolling improvement or placebo.

So @CSdirt how did your season go on them?

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
The tannus was better than CC in weight/rolling feel, but not as impact supportive as CC. Worst part of tannus is absolute knuckle bleeding nightmare to install and remove tire. CC seems casual to install/remove in comparison (yes I use soapy water to help). Tire also had a weird sidewall pressure or bulge from the insert design. I feared this could lead to sidewall tears, but it didn't happen, just created an odd visual thing for those who tend to be particular (me/OCD).

After wearing out the tire, and having the struggle of my life removing it with tannus, I actually ended up going back to no inserts (DH casing, 27-29 rear psi) and was fine rest of season (one small ding). No inserts did feel a tad different, got small tire burping, but most noticeable was sidewall wear. I'm assuming the wear was from deformation in corners.

Next season I might try a different system because both CC and Tannus are out. DH casing alone with a tad more psi in the rear appears adequate.

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 10:32 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
The tannus was better than CC in weight/rolling feel, but not as impact supportive as CC. Worst part of tannus is absolute knuckle bleeding nightmare to install and remove tire. CC seems casual to install/remove in comparison (yes I use soapy water to help). Tire also had a weird sidewall pressure or bulge from the insert design. I feared this could lead to sidewall tears, but it didn't happen, just created an odd visual thing for those who tend to be particular (me/OCD).

After wearing out the tire, and having the struggle of my life removing it with tannus, I actually ended up going back to no inserts (DH casing, 27-29 rear psi) and was fine rest of season (one small ding). No inserts did feel a tad different, got small tire burping, but most noticeable was sidewall wear. I'm assuming the wear was from deformation in corners.

Next season I might try a different system because both CC and Tannus are out. DH casing alone with a tad more psi in the rear appears adequate.

It’s difficult to match the cutouts with the valve on Tannus. If it’s misaligned by a few mm, it won’t hold air. Cushcore much easier to install but rolls too slow for my liking.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013242
Mobile Version of Website