Use Old Route Planner?

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Use Old Route Planner?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
Is it possible to use the old route planner still? I find the new one pretty frustrating. I just want to click on trails to build a route; the routing suggestions it makes are nonsensical.

Mod Plus
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 18:22 Quote
No the old route planner is dead. Updating the routing data needed for that feature (selecting) and the old less effective auto-routing was too broken, unreliable and slow.

You could also not mix different routing methods with the old route planner. You can with the new one. If an auto-routing connection is not working, you can freehand draw the route, or disable the "Enforce Trail Direction".

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 21:52 Quote
canadaka wrote:
No the old route planner is dead. Updating the routing data needed for that feature (selecting) and the old less effective auto-routing was too broken, unreliable and slow.

You could also not mix different routing methods with the old route planner. You can with the new one. If an auto-routing connection is not working, you can freehand draw the route, or disable the "Enforce Trail Direction".

Oof, that sucks. Guess I'll just get lost in the woods then.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 22:17 Quote
Same, the old one was great and simple to use! This new one is quite frustrating and feels over engineered.

Mod Plus
Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
While the new route planner has A LOT of new functionality, some may have liked the "selecting" method available in the old route planner. But this feature was often broken in various regions around the world, and the route planner would be a blank map. It also used an old Leaflet map missing many mapping features of the other maps on Trailforks. We don't want to maintain the old Leaflet based map or the old routing network system that was prone to break and be outdated.

The new system uses the same Mapbox powered map used elsewhere on Trailforks with all the same features. The old planner was very limited because you could not mix or change types of routing, you had to stick to one, which was a very frustrating experience if there was some missing routing data or connection. The new system also includes MUCH more OSM roads that are routable and is a much faster at calculating auto-routing.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 17:24 Quote
canadaka wrote:
While the new route planner has A LOT of new functionality, some may have liked the "selecting" method available in the old route planner. But this feature was often broken in various regions around the world, and the route planner would be a blank map. It also used an old Leaflet map missing many mapping features of the other maps on Trailforks. We don't want to maintain the old Leaflet based map or the old routing network system that was prone to break and be outdated.

The new system uses the same Mapbox powered map used elsewhere on Trailforks with all the same features. The old planner was very limited because you could not mix or change types of routing, you had to stick to one, which was a very frustrating experience if there was some missing routing data or connection. The new system also includes MUCH more OSM roads that are routable and is a much faster at calculating auto-routing.

Unfortunately at least around the areas that I've been trying it, it selects routes that don't make sense, and basically refuses to route down some trails altogether even if I try to add a dozen points along the trail. I assume this has something to do with how the trails in my areas are laid down or something but I don't really have any control over that. At least with the old system I could basically force it to use only the trails I wanted.

Mod Plus
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 18:57 Quote
You can uncheck the "Enforce Trail Direction" option to route trails any direction you wish. If there is a connection missing in the routing network, which was an issue with old system as well, you can drag and draw the connection.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
Yeah just wanted to say I agree with the above posts. For mountain biking at least, the old planner was much easier. With this new one, I do have to click about once every quarter mile it feels like to avoid getting routed down a hiking only trail. It is nice to be able to include roads in routes now, but the old trail selection model was much better in general for my purposes. The new one is certainly more of a pain to use. Just too bad there's no way to maintain the option of using the old style.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 16:04 Quote
Haha, great success! There's a "Selecting" mode available now on the route planner that seems to work pretty close to the old functionality! Thanks you guys!

Mod Plus
Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 11:49 Quote
Views: 20    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 18:02 Quote
canadaka wrote:
Views: 20    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Awesome man! I love that you can switch between modes on the fly now!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006447
Mobile Version of Website