Yeti SB150 longer stroke shock

PB Forum :: Yeti
Yeti SB150 longer stroke shock
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
Haven t had the chance to connect and bleed the rear brake.

I managed to pick up a large SB150 and with the stock shock 230mm x 60mm and link, it gives you 150mm of travel (hence the name.) Now, introducing the cascade components link and setup along with the stock shock it bumps up the rear travel from the stock 150mm to 155mm of rear travel while also dropping bottom bracket height by 7mm.

My previous experience with a cascade components link which was on my Transition Sentinel and with their experimentation I then ran the cascade components link with a longer stroke shock that gave the Sentinel A LOT more rear travel from the stock rear travel of 140mm to 158mm, wohoo!

I wanted to know if anyone has experimented with a longer stroke shock on their SB150 frame, The immediate problems that arise is less tire clearance, possible frame making contact with the shock, possible contact with the rear wheel and frame on bottom out.

Stock rear shock eye to eye and stroke - 230mm x 60
Possibilities 230mm x 62.5mm or 230mm x 65mm

Combine the 62,5mm longer stroke along with the cascade link and it would equate to another 5-7mm of rear travel on top of the 155mm. The 65mm probably is out of the question, but if so combined with the cascade link would give you another 5-7mm of rear travel.

A balanced bike would give you the option to have your weight more on the back on the bike while descending with that along with the long front center of the now modern Yeti geometry numbers. I just got my SB150 built up and while I have a 170mm airshaft, it is not currently installed in my Fox 36 so presently I have a 160mm airshaft in my Fox 36. Also, I didn't have time to reconnect and bleed the rear brake as of yet.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Here's a very close to exact geometry chart with the stock Yeti SB150 but with a 160mm airshaft.

Seattube Length - 450mm
Toptube Length - 625.6mm
Headtube Angle - 65.1 degrees
Seattube Angle - 77.6 degrees
Chainstay Length - 433mm
Wheelbase - 1240mm
BB Height - 343.9mm
Standover Height - 732.8mm
Headtube Length - 107.7mm
Stack Height - 619.8mm
Reach - 487.2mm

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 1:34 Quote
He means the rear shock. I have an SB165 so can't say for certain but I reckon the rear wheel might end up hitting the seat tube. As a rough guess I'd say take the 5mm extra stroke of the longer shock multiply it by 3 for the leverage rate, it's actually less than that but to be on the safe side and check with your current shock you have 15mm clearance plus a bit more taking flexing and tyre deformation before the tyre hits the seate tube. You also need to check if the rocker link can go at least another 5mm before hitting the seat tube too. Either will damage the frame quite badly if there isn't enough clearance, expect the warranty to go out the window too.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012278
Mobile Version of Website