Fat Bike for My Wife

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Fat Bike for My Wife
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:49 Quote
Howdy,

I am torn between a few elements in choosing a fat bike for my wife for this upcoming season. On the shortlist is the Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20, the Norco Bigfoot 2, and the Giant Yukon 1.

My main concerns are:
-weight
-having 27.5 tires
-geo
-standover height (she is only 5 foot 4)

The Blizzard delivers on the geo, but it has 26 inch tires, a higher standover, and from what I have read, weighs a lot!

The Bigfoot has 27.5 inch tires and a low standover, but it is has a steep HTA at 69 (but tons of modern reach). It also weighs a lot. This bike is great value for money.

The Yukon has "old school" geo, with a shorter read and 68.5 HTA. But, it has 27.5 inch tires, weighs less than 32lbs, and the standover is not as good as the Norco, but better than the RM Blizzard. It is also good value like the Norco.

How big of a factor is weight when fat biking? Personally, I am getting a Blizzard 50 in carbon so it will be super light and I love the trail geo. She doesn't want to budget that much for hers, so I am looking at alloy only (Yukon with carbon fork). I wish I could have the weight of the Yukon on the Blizzard and add the bigger tires. Does anyone have any experience riding both the Yukon and the Blizzard? Do they feel night and day different? Any recommendations would be welcomed!

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
My wife is the same height (110lbs) and rode a small Bigfoot last year. Fit her very well and geo didnt hold her back in local trails near Calgary!

I havent ridden a Blizzard but wonder if the slacker head angle would be advantageous for winter riding.

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
StumpHumper45 wrote:
Howdy,

I am torn between a few elements in choosing a fat bike for my wife for this upcoming season. On the shortlist is the Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20, the Norco Bigfoot 2, and the Giant Yukon 1.

My main concerns are:
-weight
-having 27.5 tires
-geo
-standover height (she is only 5 foot 4)

The Blizzard delivers on the geo, but it has 26 inch tires, a higher standover, and from what I have read, weighs a lot!

The Bigfoot has 27.5 inch tires and a low standover, but it is has a steep HTA at 69 (but tons of modern reach). It also weighs a lot. This bike is great value for money.

The Yukon has "old school" geo, with a shorter read and 68.5 HTA. But, it has 27.5 inch tires, weighs less than 32lbs, and the standover is not as good as the Norco, but better than the RM Blizzard. It is also good value like the Norco.

How big of a factor is weight when fat biking? Personally, I am getting a Blizzard 50 in carbon so it will be super light and I love the trail geo. She doesn't want to budget that much for hers, so I am looking at alloy only (Yukon with carbon fork). I wish I could have the weight of the Yukon on the Blizzard and add the bigger tires. Does anyone have any experience riding both the Yukon and the Blizzard? Do they feel night and day different? Any recommendations would be welcomed!

I have a 2021 Blizzard 20 in a medium and I am ~5'8-5'9. Standover is not an issue at all and I also have a 2021 Growler 40, and standover is listed as 802 mm and I am not hitting the top tube (lots of room). Ideally it would be best for her to try one out if you can find one. I think a small would suit her fine, but it is best to try if you are not sure.

As for weight I'd say it is ~32 lbs but it feels very light and playful when trail riding and the ride is super stable like an aggressive hardtail such as my Growler and it is also highly maneuverable and climbs like a mountain goat. The reach is 450mm and for me the Blizzard fits me perfectly and it one of the few bikes that I have owned that felt just "right." Overall I would say the Blizzard is a great all round bike and I have zero complaints. I looked at both the Bigfoot and Yukon and I rode a 2019 Bigfoot (rental) and the Blizzard felt more playful and lighter when trail riding than the Bigfoot.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
Thank you both for the replies! At the moment we have decided to stick with Blizzard deposit we have put down. The HTA and reach will also closely match her trail bike which will be nice when transitioning to winter riding and having the bikes feel somewhat similar. When I went from my 64 degree head angle Transition Patrol to a 69 HTA on the Bigfoot I rented two years ago, I had to completely change my riding style on the descents.

So many factors to consider and a game of give and take. Thanks again!

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
I'm five foot one and ride a Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20. I did change out the cassette to a 42mm because where I ride there are a lot of hills and fairly steep climbs. I love the bike. It's a really wide tire (4.Cool so your wife will feel extra safe on technical stuff. It's a great bike for the price.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 19:38 Quote
celestetheghostship wrote:
I'm five foot one and ride a Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20. I did change out the cassette to a 42mm because where I ride there are a lot of hills and fairly steep climbs. I love the bike. It's a really wide tire (4.Cool so your wife will feel extra safe on technical stuff. It's a great bike for the price.

Nice! The new ones come with a 10-51 Shimano Deore so she should be all set. Thanks for the insight.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009544
Mobile Version of Website