Leaking master cylinder on M8100 brake lever?

PB Forum :: Shimano
Leaking master cylinder on M8100 brake lever?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 0:24 Quote
I have shimano M8100 levers with 8120 calipers (4-pot). I was bleeding my brakes and think I may have messed something up.

After bleeding brakes I noticed there was brake fluid weeping out of the end of the master cylinder. And I could notice bubbling from this same spot when I pulled the lever.

Eventually the leaking stopped. However next time I did a lever bleed on the brakes the leaking started again Frown The brake lever feels good and still seems to work fine, though it's not riding season here so haven't given it a really proper test.

Note, the leak is not coming from bleed port or the lever. It's coming from the round cap at the very end of the lever opposite side from the brake hose.

I think what may have happened is I was bleeding it and still had the plunger in the funnel while pressing calipers out. May have over pressurized system and blown a seal or something.

Anyone ever experience this? Any solutions? Know any suppliers with replacement levers still in stock? Lol.

Thank you.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 3:07 Quote
HooperAK wrote:
I have shimano M8100 levers with 8120 calipers (4-pot). I was bleeding my brakes and think I may have messed something up.

After bleeding brakes I noticed there was brake fluid weeping out of the end of the master cylinder. And I could notice bubbling from this same spot when I pulled the lever.

Eventually the leaking stopped. However next time I did a lever bleed on the brakes the leaking started again Frown The brake lever feels good and still seems to work fine, though it's not riding season here so haven't given it a really proper test.

Note, the leak is not coming from bleed port or the lever. It's coming from the round cap at the very end of the lever opposite side from the brake hose.

I think what may have happened is I was bleeding it and still had the plunger in the funnel while pressing calipers out. May have over pressurized system and blown a seal or something.

Anyone ever experience this? Any solutions? Know any suppliers with replacement levers still in stock? Lol.

Thank you.

Easy fix. You have to pull the end cap off. There is a rubber "boot" that attaches to it, and it came off. No blown seals, that boot just came off and is allowing pressure/fluid to weep.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004949
Mobile Version of Website