Height of seat relative to bars

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Height of seat relative to bars
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
How many inches of difference is your seat relative to your bars? I just measured mine on my 2013 Banshee Prime Xl and top middle of my seat is very close to 2” higher than my bars. I’m 6’4” tall with a plus 3 ape index. My bike is setup for riding somewhat aggressive trails, with a -2 degree headset and 160 mm fork.

I’m just curious because I swear most peoples saddles are level or lower than their bars...but maybe it’s an optical illusion.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
My seat sits a few inches taller then the bars. Most bikes seem to sit like this. I'm 5'10 on a large Santa cruz and have 35mm rise bars and about an inch of headset spacers.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
Close to level at full seat post extension. I’m an old dude with a bad back though, and not XC or endurance racing anymore. Riding a trail/enduro bike for fun, speed and air time only.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 23:54 Quote
All my bikes get the higher bar treatment. I'm 5'11, but have short inseam of 29/30 inches. I ride larges, and set up for the climb. Short bars and im fingertipping on climbs. I also move forward to weight the front on downhills subconsciosly. I cant undo old habits and being centered just does not happen. My fork rides high and firm and I use soft tires for small bump. I push forward very aggressively and an upright position is much my preference. Never had an issue getting weight forward, i just move forward. I also suck... I dont care for washouts on a chopper. You would never see me with low bars to seat height. Usually dead even or bar high. I also control the bike with my thighs, and run short drop to do so.. Most on here would smoke me in rugged terrain. Still never gonna take a triathalon stance. Just dont care for ass in the air flat back low front stance.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 2:52 Quote
It's hard to get a bike that fits if you're tall .. You could get the right length with super long reach bikes, but then they all have a ridiculously small stack.

I'm not overly tall at 1.85m but with stupidly long legs, and even with 30-40mm of spacers bellow the stem and 35-40mm rize bars, I still end up with the back bent a lot, and a lot of weight on the hands/wrists on the handlebars.

On the current bike, I might actually even go for a 60mm rise bar ... Don't care about the look if I'm comfortable riding it.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 3:50 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
It's hard to get a bike that fits if you're tall .. You could get the right length with super long reach bikes, but then they all have a ridiculously small stack.

I'm not overly tall at 1.85m but with stupidly long legs, and even with 30-40mm of spacers bellow the stem and 35-40mm rize bars, I still end up with the back bent a lot, and a lot of weight on the hands/wrists on the handlebars.

On the current bike, I might actually even go for a 60mm rise bar ... Don't care about the look if I'm comfortable riding it.

This is my issue and im personally against longer reach(generally effective top tube ends up longer)
I recently added a Remedy to my collection, have a 21 MEGA and Slash.
at 183 cm and all the sizes being large, the remedy has the shortest reach and shortest top tube, it's super nice to pedal as im very upright(my back gets bent too much on the slash) and then crazy fun on the way down.

Bring back shorter effective top tubes and IMO shorter reach bikes, might even swap to a carbon remedy i like mine that much.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
Tall riders usually have more saddle-to-bar drop.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009773
Mobile Version of Website