Gloves recommendations please

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Gloves recommendations please
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
I’ve tried Specialized and Endura gloves and both needed sowing up after a few months.
What has proven tough in your opinion?

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
I love HandUp gloves. I hate velcro straps and unnecessary things on my gloves so the minimalist style of them is great for me. Plus the graphics are steezy! I have a couple of pairs of the "most days" gloves and use them most of the year here in the desert. I also have the "ColdEr" gloves for winter riding and commuting and they work for me down to about freezing. So far all of my pairs have help up without any ripping over 2-3 seasons.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
simondean56 wrote:
I’ve tried Specialized and Endura gloves and both needed sowing up after a few months.

100% Brisker have done me proud for 2 winters of regular use. For warmer weather I've found 661 to wear quite well, but I'll try anything on sale at a good discount.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
thor spectrum mx gloves have held up for me and I was able to get more than a season out of them.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
Whatever you do don't buy food, stitching lasts about 3 rides. I'm trying TLD at the moment and so far so good after 2 months.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 19:05 Quote
I have a couple pair of the 100% lightweight gloves, both celium (one moto and one mtn bike).
the moto are just a tad thicker on the palm side than the mtn bike version I had prior and the other pair I have now, and seem to be holding up better. They also are running a little bigger in the same size, which is good.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
Whatever you do don't buy food, stitching lasts about 3 rides. I'm trying TLD at the moment and so far so good after 2 months.

But i like food. Should i beg or steal it? Grow my own perhaps? Hunt or gather? Shopping is so much easier.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Davec85 wrote:

But i like food. Should i beg or steal it? Grow my own perhaps? Hunt or gather? Shopping is so much easier.

Haha, Fox!

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
fielonator wrote:
simondean56 wrote:

100% Brisker have done me proud for 2 winters of regular use. For warmer weather I've found 661 to wear quite well, but I'll try anything on sale at a good discount.

My Briskers have started to come unstitched after a single winter, which is a shame as I like them for colder weather. I've been buying Alpine Stars gloves for a while, they last okay and you can usually find them discounted.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
I'm a glove nut! ( --wha?Rolleyes )

Seriously, never ever once ever ride, in any situation, without gloves. One time I lost one, went immediately to a hardware store to get a cheap set of workgloves to continue riding. Was on a little pier once taking a break, wind blew over one glove from a new pair and I actually climbed down the ridge, grabbed the longest branch I could find and retrieved the slightly expensive glove!

I've tried almost everything but there really are too many styles to have actually done that--it feels like it.

How much protection, padding, or thickness do you require? That has a lot to do with what's available. I thought I needed hefty gloves and years ago I feel in love with quality batting gloves as my fav's. They have a good amount of stretch so last a long time, and you can try different batting gloves to get something thinner or heavier. Their MADE for GRIP, that's the whole point of the design so their superb with bike grips even in wet weather.

Get nice ones though. Really cheap batting gloves stretch too much and don't feel as good on the hands.
I changed my fav from year to year but for three or more years now my overall fav's are Nike Alpha Huarache Edge:
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nike-alpha-huarache-edge-batting-gloves-2020-19nikalphhrchdgwhbtg/19nikalphhrchdgwhbtg

I don't close the wrist strap and fold it back over the hand, but they do work well if you use them.
There's another I got on a whim that LOOKED cool so I had to try them, turns out I wear them ALL the time now.
C'mon.. they're SKELETON hands, who WOULDN'T want that!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NHVBVZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The fabric is more like a workglove style, but is tough and won't fall apart and become un-stitched like so many thicker gloves do. Very comfortable. The palm padding is truly amazing and lines up perfect w/that slight ridge on my ergon GA3 grips. There's even a little extra cushioning inside the upper palm ridge (palmar fascia?) and at the thumb metacarpal. The little bits of rubbery coating detail give awesome grip.

The "motocross" grips are tougher and a bit more padded unlike the batting gloves, so if you like something lighter but still with plenty of grip, try a good quality batting glove--so you'll spend at least $25 for something decent.

My NEXT gloves will be more of a tactical glove, like these:
https://www.amazon.com/TAC9ER-Tactical-Gloves-Kevlar-Temperature/dp/B07R8C3BTM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B07R8C3BTM&qid=1618697041&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1
I want to also have something super heavy-duty so I'll try tactical gloves.

Sorry to take up all of your time ranting about gloves, but I have obsessed over them. It's smart to ride w/gloves. If your hands are protected you'll make less braking, gripping, gearing errors in a gnarly situation. You grip better in any weather, and your fingers should have some protection. Not to mention that it's cleaner, but I'm a bit OCD about that. I even keep some rubber gloves in my SWAT for dirty repairs lol

~JSV

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 18:13 Quote
I’ve currently got a pair of Fox Rangers. They seem so far burly, good quality, and super comfy. I quite like them. Depending on what’s available at your LBS, I’d check them out!

https://foxracing.ca/ranger-glove/22942.html?dwvar_22942_color=052&dwvar_22942_size=2X&cgid=mtb-mens-gloves#srule=product-name-ascending&isShowAllNoScroll=true&sz=66&start=51

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
Not for winter, good for hands scraping gravel ground, lightweight.

Blackhawk Solag Full Finger Light Assault Glove

If black or Tan is not your colour, then spray em with Montana Gold Acrylic Spray Paint
in whatever colour or similar paint.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005409
Mobile Version of Website