2021 YT Capra & Jeffsy - Very long cables

PB Forum :: YT Industries
2021 YT Capra & Jeffsy - Very long cables
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 16:06 Quote
Just got a Capra and a Jeffsy (2021 models) and on both bikes the brake hoses as well as the dropper/shifter cables are so long, that you can pretty much turn the front wheel more than 180 degrees.
I like a cleaner look, but before I start shortening anything, can anybody explain the rationale for leaving cables/hoses so long?

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
120CCPM wrote:
Just got a Capra and a Jeffsy (2021 models) and on both bikes the brake hoses as well as the dropper/shifter cables are so long, that you can pretty much turn the front wheel more than 180 degrees.
I like a cleaner look, but before I start shortening anything, can anybody explain the rationale for leaving cables/hoses so long?

Cheaper direct ship companies tend to cut cost on the fit and finish.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 14:43 Quote
Maybe... but long cables are not any easier or quicker to install than short ones... and certainly not cheaper.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
What’s quicker about them is not taking the additional time to shorten them from the OEM “large enough to fit everything” length. Specifically, to shorten brake hoses you’re most likely going to at least have to bleed the system. Potentially crimping or fitting new fittings. That’s a good bit more time than just slapping the pre-assembled pre-bled system on and being done.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 20:15 Quote
The "pre-assembled" reasoning only applies to front brakes, everything else (dropper, shifter and rear brake) goes through the frame so it must be assembled in place.

One reasonable explanation I got from a friend was that they size those components for XXL frames and provide extra room for riser bars... anyways, whatever the reason, I decided to shorten all cables and housing on both bikes, and literally just finished: they came out very nice, I really like the looks of a cleaner cockpit.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010957
Mobile Version of Website