Stans ate my rim?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Stans ate my rim?
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 12:05 Quote
I think its a relatively rare occurrence ... but thanks to the internet, some forums make it seem more prevalent.

I have only ever heard rumours and myths personally.... like unicorns and white guys in dreadlocks.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
Mountainfrog wrote:
So the water is not getting in at the nipples, but through the bead of the tire? Then how does the water get in under the tape, osmosis? It's not the sealant, and the manufacturer will tell you what I have stated. Greasing the nipples will prevent water from entering the rime, the same as when air escapes from the tire when the rim tape no longer seals. Think again mate.

Are you trying to argue with yourself? Where did you see a picture of a corroded nip in this thread besides the photo of a dude with dreadlocks?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 16:19 Quote
pav4 wrote:
Well I was prepping my bike for this riding season to discover this under the tubeless rim strip. The aluminum was crumbling under the pressure of my fingers. Lots of other spots showing evidence of corrosion.

I've heard stans sealant can cause corrosion like this, but never dreamed it would actually happen. Is the sealant really the culprit or could it have been something else I did?

I have never used any solvents or chemicals to clean the rims, always used good old fashion elbow grease. Time to replace another rim or safe to squeeze out another season, thoughts?
OK so this bike I got, brand new from someone on PB, he had the Roval carbon rims set-up by this guy Bill Mould (D.C. Virginia area) who apparently has a mad reputation and has done tour de france wheels etc.
Bill Mould never uses Stan's on the wheels. He told me NOT to use that sealant, and to use the orange subzero stuff. That's what I did, I got the subzero on his recommendation. What was happening to you is what he told him could happen over time w/the Stan's.
I wouldn't have thought it to effect it THAT much however, but he was referring to my carbon rims, and said there'd be problems w/the spoke nipples. Maybe if these were alloy rims I would've heard more, but this does make some kind of sense based on what they told me from that bike shop & Bill Mould.

~JSV

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Mountainfrog wrote:
So the water is not getting in at the nipples, but through the bead of the tire? Then how does the water get in under the tape, osmosis? It's not the sealant, and the manufacturer will tell you what I have stated. Greasing the nipples will prevent water from entering the rime, the same as when air escapes from the tire when the rim tape no longer seals. Think again mate.

Are you trying to argue with yourself? Where did you see a picture of a corroded nip in this thread besides the photo of a dude with dreadlocks?

With you, the nipples are where the water enters the rim. The water being the source of corrosion. But you're a genius, so you already know that.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010501
Mobile Version of Website