Local pickup, cash ok?

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Local pickup, cash ok?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
I am selling my bike currently. I went to meet with a potential buyer and they wanted to pay with PayPal goods. I prefer cash. Is there anything I need to worry about with using PayPal goods for an in-person meet? I have never had a problem with using cash meeting in person. I am selling the bike as is so I don't see a reason to be concerned using cash on their end. Also I only see seller protection if you have a PayPal business account. I know I should probably get with the times but I have never actually used PayPal before for anything other than sending my buddy overseas money. Am I wrong for wanting to use cash only?

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
I do cash or email transfer and don't give them the goods until the money has been transferred and make sure I write a detailed receipt and keep a signed copy. I wouldn't go for any method they can try to refund like paypal. Even if you get to keep the money in the end paypal can block it during back and forth and you risk losing out.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 14:43 Quote
as a seller you can get scammed pretty easy through pay pal. If you can physically exchange goods in the presence of the buyer, paypal isn't worth the risk to you. Its also difficult to imagine the benefit to the buyer, as they have the opportunity properly inspect the goods. Sounds fishy. I would pass on that if paypall is their only method of payment.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
As others have said - skip PayPal for in person transactions. Insist on cash.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
Thanks everyone for the replies. It's my first time selling anything through pinkbike and their first time buying so I think we are both being a little precautious. I am going to pass though given everyone's advice. Thanks again.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
If the buyer prefers electronic payment, I'd be interested to hear a good explanation for why they prefer PayPal over Interac / email!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004990
Mobile Version of Website