Cush core or wider rims?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
Currently running 2.6 in the rear and 2.8 in the front and I would like to get some better sidewall support so I can drop air pressure. I currently have 30mm rims. Should I swap to 35mm rims or if I add cush core will that give me the support I want?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 5:46 Quote
I would start with a thicker tire casing. Maxxis DoubleDown or Vittoria Enduro casing for example. You're going to have a wobbly tire with 'regular' casing and lower pressure. Tire inserts giving you more support is mostly a gimmick. They offer you more damping and rim protection but still behaves completely different way than better tires.

And get rid of that 2.8 tyres and get 2.6 instead. In my opinion, all 2.8 tires are too wobbly or bouncing unpredictably with higher pressures.

it is also cheaper for you to get a pair of fresh tires instead of the wider rims and / or cush cores

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
It depends on why you want more sidewall support and lower pressure. Everyone thinks they want this but for cornering support what you really want is to keep the tread blocks from rotating (aka tread folding). With a steel belted radial tire, the tread area is really stiff and the sidewalls are flexible yet the sidewalls and tread aren't folding because of the belt stiffness. If you increase sidewall stiffness and lower pressure, you now have a less stiff tread area which is a big compromise.

Generally speaking, inserts are good if you want more cornering support at the same pressure, or the same cornering support at lower pressure (you can probably gain cornering support with CC Pro with 1-2 psi less). Now if you just want more climbing and braking traction or more comfort inserts are a good option. For higher speeds on rougher terrain, you really want a heavier duty stiffer tire. This increases both sidewall and tread stiffness. If you think it in terms of "Cushcore is like volume spacers for your tire", do the pro DH riders stuff their fork full of spacers so they can drop the pressure really low? No, they run the pressure firm to get the support they need and then if they need more bottom out resistance they add spacers. It's the same with tires, run the appropriate tire for the speed/terrain you're riding and think of the "spacers" (inserts) as a fine tuning tool.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
Myself, I would install the CushCores. Yes they will add some weight but you will gain the ability to run lower air pressure for more traction while gaining the sidewall support you want as well as protection against pinch flats and they will also act as a run-flat if needed.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
Shredthenar106 wrote:
Currently running 2.6 in the rear and 2.8 in the front and I would like to get some better sidewall support so I can drop air pressure. I currently have 30mm rims. Should I swap to 35mm rims or if I add cush core will that give me the support I want?

Your rims are way too narrow for a 2.8 to work as well as it should. 30 isn't even wide enough to properly run a 2.6.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:53 Quote
If you are set on keeping 2.8 then 40mm. 35mm is good for 2.6.

I would be less concerned about sidewall support with the 2.8 as I would be with tread profile, Cushcore is not going to help get the tread knobs where they need to be to properly engage, you are probably not even using the corner knobs on that 2.8

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 13:25 Quote
Not saying narrow rims are ideal at all, but I put a 2.8 on the front of my bike with 26/27mm internal Stans rims to try it, and yes at low pressures it can get squirmy during aggressive riding, but at 18psi the squirm goes even on dry tarmac. I do believe wider rims make a noticeable difference but I think people hugely over exaggerate how much difference it makes.. I can use the side knobs on my 2.8 DHF on 26mm internal rims on dry tarmac with aggressive lean angles...it might not be as perfect as it could be and wider rims would allow lower pressures but the fact is it works nevertheless. Do wider rims make a difference yes, imo say up to 20% better, but the way people talk is like you are gonna fall off and break your neck if you run anything other than the recommended rim sizes, half of it is true, half of it is marketing, all of it is exaggerated.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Not saying narrow rims are ideal at all, but I put a 2.8 on the front of my bike with 26/27mm internal Stans rims to try it, and yes at low pressures it can get squirmy during aggressive riding, but at 18psi the squirm goes even on dry tarmac. I do believe wider rims make a noticeable difference but I think people hugely over exaggerate how much difference it makes.. I can use the side knobs on my 2.8 DHF on 26mm internal rims on dry tarmac with aggressive lean angles...it might not be as perfect as it could be and wider rims would allow lower pressures but the fact is it works nevertheless. Do wider rims make a difference yes, imo say up to 20% better, but the way people talk is like you are gonna fall off and break your neck if you run anything other than the recommended rim sizes, half of it is true, half of it is marketing, all of it is exaggerated.

My experiences do not mirror yours.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 20:28 Quote
My vote is Cushcore, im 210lbs and regularly smash through jagged rock gardens at 25 psi rear with 2.5's

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005580
Mobile Version of Website