Whistler, for the normal rider. Any point? (Bucket list content)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Whistler, for the normal rider. Any point? (Bucket list content)
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
September 2020 saw me nearly done for biking, an unrelated illness resulted in attendance at the local stroke clinic and an enforced period of biking absence. As is the way, these things make you think “deep”, with priority number one now retiring, or winding down massively at 55 (50 currently). I’ve now been given the docs approval to resume biking. God I missed it.....

My lad, 14, loves biking and we try to go out a lot together, and with my mates.

He finishes high school next spring and I’ve decided, sod it, let’s do Whistler next spring (June) before he starts on the next chapter of his education and before I get too old....I’ll be 51, he’ll be 15.

He watches a lot of YT videos of the park and suggested that it might actually be a bit too much for us, that we won’t be able to ride that much as we are, at best, mediocre. I really wanted to tick that biking bucket list but if it’s going to be too lairy and scary, maybe it’s an expensive dream.

We can’t do dirt merchant, that’s seems a given, but is there enough there to provide a normal rider with five or six days of good times and good memories?

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 14:36 Quote
You know what they say: You only live once.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 14:40 Quote
ridingrascal wrote:
You know what they say: You only live once.
^
I've never been to Whistler, but assume that most "media" and Youtube attention are focused on pro lines, and double and single black trails. I'm sure that Whistler has enough for everyone to have fun. Even green/blue trails.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 14:57 Quote
Whistler is amazing.

Really hoping the border is open this year. Last year we didn’t get to go. We have been nearly every year for the last 20 years and I want to get back up there bad.

We were cross country riders and are slowly moving to more downhill type of riding. The single track around Whistler is amazing and there are all different levels.

I’ve been forced to watch YouTube videos this last year to get a smile. I haven’t ridden in the park for years and am working to get my wife to go up the lifts. YouTube the green trails. There looks to be some great stuff for all levels up there.

Atmosphere is awesome.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 16:09 Quote
I'm getting fatter, lazier, and more scared as I get older and had a blast last time I was at Whistler. The green runs are easy enough I'd send a complete beginner down. Sounds like you would be happy on blues, and find some room for progression.

Paul the Punter has a video of all the blues, it might show you what I mean. The signs are useful in the park and show you easiest blue to hardest blue in sequence. I think Paul's video also does that.

Personally I'm more of a trail rider than a park rider, and the pedal accessed riding in Whistler is worth a trip on it's own. The tech features are well signed, and almost always with a ride around. The quality and variety of trail building in Whistler cant be overlooked either - it's by far the best experience I have had on bike trails.

Go for it, as long as the border is open!

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 16:38 Quote
Whistler does a great job of making all levels of trails enjoyable. Last time I was there was a decade ago, but I remember a couple of my favourites were on opposite ends of the spectrum: Captain Safety and Del Boca Vista.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
Whistler is definitely doable as a relative beginner and sounds like you and your son are at least pretty comfortable on your bikes. They've got a pretty good range for all skill levels.

I've not been riding that long and went there with my buddy for one of his first times on a mountain bike and he loved it. There's a bunch of greens and some mellow blues you can ride. Plus there's some easier technical blues and flow trails you can go down as well. We stayed away from anything too crazy and there's good info on the trails warning you of any big features on a trail. If you want to treat yourself you can rent out some downhill bikes but I just used a trail/AM bike for the stuff we did.

So if it's on your bucket list definitely don't be discouraged!

That being said I'm not sure I'd do 5/6 days there like that. There's tonnes of trails around Whistler to ride without paying for the bike pass if you check out trailforks so you can make the most of both Smile

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
Not really related to your question.But be very careful who you book flights with.Some of the Canadian airlines have ripped people off all over the world since the pandemic.No refunds under any circumstances.people have lost thousands.Hope you get there its amazing.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 7:54 Quote
Do it.

Okay, maybe don’t book tickets just yet with the pandemic situation. But as far as riding goes, do it.

I did 3 days in Whistler in 2019, all in the bike park, riding blue trails and the easier black ones. And would have done a 4th day if time permitted. That’s before even adding the “XC” valley trails or making a 45 minute drive to Squamish or Pemberton.

Keep in mind that while the sea-to-sky corridor probably has the highest pro-rider/normal human ratio of anywhere on earth, it’s still mostly normal humans. So there’s no shortage of intermediate trails in the area.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
My wife can’t jump AT ALL and had a blast at Whistler.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
My family did a few days at Whistler in 2019. We loved it. My teenage boys rode the park while my wife and I had tons of fun on the bajillion miles of singletrack all around the area. It's an outstanding place to ride even if you're old like me and like to keep your wheels on the ground.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 10:23 Quote
My wife and I started mountain biking last year and went to whistler. I grew up on bikes but my wife was completely new to biking and we both loved the park. The trails around whistler outside of the park are spectacular as well. We did a half day tour with arbutus routes which was well worth it. So yeah there is definitely a point in going to whistler!

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 10:29 Quote
Whistler has trails for everyone

What you need to hope for is the travel restrictions to be lifted to allow people to goto Whistler. Right now its a shit show over here.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
rockhopper70 wrote:
is there enough there to provide a normal rider with five or six days of good times and good memories?

Absolutely. There is no shortage of beginner people right in the bike park riding the lifts, and the valley trails also have something for everyone. As long as you guys feel comfortable using disk brakes, full green light to lifetime memories.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006230
Mobile Version of Website