Fox36 grip2 Compression and Rebound Adjustment

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox36 grip2 Compression and Rebound Adjustment
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 21:22 Quote
I have a 2019 Fox36 170 mm with the grip2 damper.

I’ve set the sag to 20%, no volume spacers, and the HSR, LSR, HSC and LSC are set to factory recommended settings based on my weight (roughly 220 lb with gear):

Clicks from fully closed
HSR: 1
LSR: 2
HSC: 10
LSC: 6

I’ve got 2 issues I’m trying to sort out:

1. I can’t seem to get the last 1” to 1.5” of travel. Would decreasing the HSC help?

2. When riding over washboard/high speed chatter, I feel like all the vibration is translated to my hands/arms, and the fork is not doing a good job of absorbing the chatter. Would increasing my LSR help?

Thanks

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 6:16 Quote
Yes I would definitely open up your LSR/HSR more.

I usually setup my forks with 15% -20% sag, 2-3 click so of LSR/HSR from OPEN and LSC/HSC right in the middle, and tune as you ride.

Having your LSR/HSR closed off will cause your fork to "pack down" so you get that vibration going up to your arms/hands

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
What would be more effective at reducing the vibration from washboard/high speed chatter, increasing HSR or increasing LSR?

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
aarong133 wrote:
What would be more effective at reducing the vibration from washboard/high speed chatter, increasing HSR or increasing LSR?

Increase/speed up your high speed rebound.

As for not using the last 1" or 1.5" of travel have you confirmed there are no volume tokens installed? Have you also removed all of the air pressure then slowly cycled the fork to see where true bottom is? Sometimes it can stop a full 1 cm before the fork crown.

If there are spacers installed and after measuring true bottom you have confirmed you are truly not using that last 1.5" of travel then remove the volume tokens and leave your HSC where it is. If there are no volume tokens installed then decrease/open HSC.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:16 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
aarong133 wrote:

As for not using the last 1" or 1.5" of travel have you confirmed there are no volume tokens installed? Have you also removed all of the air pressure then slowly cycled the fork to see where true bottom is? Sometimes it can stop a full 1 cm before the fork crown.

If there are spacers installed and after measuring true bottom you have confirmed you are truly not using that last 1.5" of travel then remove the volume tokens and leave your HSC where it is. If there are no volume tokens installed then decrease/open HSC.

You can also experiment with adding volume reducers, which can actually help you reach the bottom. Look up The Lost Co. Fox 36 on YouTube and he does a good job of explaining setup.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
provin1327 wrote:
aarong133 wrote:

You can also experiment with adding volume reducers, which can actually help you reach the bottom. Look up The Lost Co. Fox 36 on YouTube and he does a good job of explaining setup.

Yes, you're referring to this video around the 24 minute mark

https://youtu.be/D9vsOHmmmpo

There are many ways to get a desired effect in fork tuning. In his case he dropped air pressure which leads to softer suspension all around. Adding volume tokens then decreased sag % and increased support in the mid stroke and bottom out. The tokens alone are not actually helping him reach the bottom of his travel but rather lower air pressure combined with adding tokens allowed him to reach his preferred fork feel and end stroke ramp up when compared to higher air pressure and zero tokens.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 9:26 Quote
aarong133 wrote:

I would open up both, if you feel like you're going to get bucked on hard hits, close the HSR a tiny bit off, if you feel like you're losing traction in the front wheel when cornering, close the LSR a tiny bit.

It seems like you have the correct sag at 20% (most important), so now all the tuning needs to be done on the damper side. If you're not using all your travel, open up the LSC/HSC a bit since you do not have any volume spacers.

At the end of the day, suspension is all personal preference. It's OK not to use all travel on your bike. I only use all travel on my 36 when I'm hucking to flat, when trail riding I'll still have a bunch of a travel left. I could retune for Trail vs Park but I'm too lazy and just leave it.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
I'd open the LSR and figure out where you like it. After setting LSR then play around with HSR. Personally I tend to run my HSR fairly slow and LSR pretty fast.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
are you setting sag in your normal riding position while going though the chunk?
if you set sag with a lot of your weight over the front but you ride off the back of the bike youll end up with more pressure in your fork than you actually need.

i had this issue

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 15:07 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding volume spacers, I opened up the fork and confirmed there are no volume spacers. My understanding is that adding volume spacers would progressively increase the force required to compress the fork towards the end of its travel. So this would have the opposite effect to what I'm after re: getting further into the the travel.

After a few rides, i've decreased the LSC 2 clicks and decreased the HSC 2 clicks (both towards open compression). I am now getting deeper into the travel than before - maybe .75-1" from the wiper to the crown instead of 1-1.5" before. Im hesitant to decrease the HSC much more until I get out to more rowdy trails around here. I've also noticed that small, low speed bump compliance (rocks and roots) is better with the decrease LSC, but the front end is a little more "bobby" in the climbs. For some reason, Im having a little more difficulty on tight switchbacks climbing, but it may have just been the day.

I've also increased the LSR 2 click and increased the HSR 1 click (both towards open, faster rebound). I did notice that small-washboard high speed chatter was reduced somewhat. However, when the washboard gets deep, there is still quite a bit of force transferred to my hands and arms. Im going to try increasing the HSR a bit more for the next ride to see if that makes a difference. I also noticed the bike is definitely more poppy of jumps, which is to be expected.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
GAQ wrote:
are you setting sag in your normal riding position while going though the chunk?
if you set sag with a lot of your weight over the front but you ride off the back of the bike youll end up with more pressure in your fork than you actually need.

i had this issue

I set my sag sitting neutral on the bike, but I hadn't thought about my position while riding.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 16:07 Quote
aarong133 wrote:
GAQ wrote:

i had this issue

I set my sag sitting neutral on the bike, but I hadn't thought about my position while riding.

I noticed that when I ride gnar I tend to be off the back.
I ended up with 1 volume spacer and lowering the pressure. I also run hsc almost all the way open so the wheel can lift and get out of the easier. I run mid lsc to control bob.
I don’t normally use all my travel. I like to have a little left for oh sh*t moments. It probably wouldn’t do much to help but it gives me more confidence that the bike can get me out of sudden unexpected impacts.
Another issue that can cause the fork to feel harsh is if you’re on your breaks a lot during the chunk. Using brakes a little as possible will allow the wheels to roll better over the chunk.

I know it can seem counter intuitive, but less braking makes the bike more stable. You just can’t let the bike outrun your abilities

Again a lot depends on preference and riding style. This is just what has worked for me

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005512
Mobile Version of Website