Bike suggestion? mostly road/fitness, some offload/trails, possibly jumps/trials - i want it all

PB Forum :: Beginners
Bike suggestion? mostly road/fitness, some offload/trails, possibly jumps/trials - i want it all
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 14:51 Quote
looking to get a new bike..i have plenty of experience with bmx bikes but when it comes to anything with gears and 20"+ tires im lost

yes im basically asking for it all in one bike...

ill mostly be using it on pavement for fitness but it would be nice to be able to hit some dirt/light trails and maybe if possible some jumps/trials(unlikely but if i get bored enough it would be nice to have the option to know my bike will handle it)

im not looking to spend a lot, i wont put out over $1000 thats for sure

any incite will be appreciated

even if its telling me build my own, tire size, gearing etc

thanks

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 7:03 Quote
a decent gravel bike would do.
I was riding my local technical trails a while back and a guy was jumping bike length doubles on one with no real issues.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 20:49 Quote
I don't believe in owning one bike. Not for that many disciplines. No single bike will perform in more than one area as well as a bike built for that specialty. I have a hard tail, a beach Cruiser, a full suspension bike, a dirt jump bike, a bmx bike, a road bike and used to have a triathlon bike. I'm not cruising the neighborhood on my dirtjunp bike, or training for a triathlon on a beach cruiser.

If you try to get one bike to fill every niche, be prepared for it to be underwhelming in about every situation. I guess if you REALLY wanted one bike to do all of that, within your sub $1K price point, I'd get a hard tail XC type mountain bike, with decent drivetrain. Make sure that the rear derailleur has a clutch, so that when you hit jumps, it won't allow the chain to derail. Perhaps run some less aggressive tires, to decrease rolling resistance on the street.

Only bummer is that it's going to suck at about everything, just for the sake of kind of being able to do a tiny bit of everything.

Good luck!

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 5:52 Quote
I think you would do best with a hard tail mountain bike..
I'd consider a known brand with good value and replaceable parts like GIANT. The GIANT TALON is in your price range. You can decide whether you want the 27.5 or 29 inch wheels that's a matter of preference and riding style.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-talon-2021
Good luck.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 23:09 Quote
i would goo for a hardtail mountain bike like a trek marlin

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004771
Mobile Version of Website