OVAL vs ROUND...Thoughts?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
OVAL vs ROUND...Thoughts?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
My new bike is 1 x 12 with 30T up front and 52T out back.

I am thinking of going 32T Oval.

Thoughts are appreciated and considered with utmost reverence Wink

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:29 Quote
In my experience, oval is great for short, technical uphill sprints. I can't tell much difference in other situations...

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:34 Quote
Been running an oval for awhile now. I noticed a difference in both short technical climbs, along with long grinding climbs.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 16:04 Quote
I went oval last year and won't go back. However, it's not as noticeable once you get used to it. I have the same set up on 2 bikes, one oval, one round. I have a harder time telling a difference. May be more noticeable if you are not in as good of shape, or you are on the cusp of what gearing is best for what you ride in low gear.

Also, feels like more of a natural motion for my legs in where, how the power is applied.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 16:56 Quote
I had the same internal debate when I went to a 36t ring instead of my stock 32. I ended up going with a standard circular ring because I just didn't think it helped that much to go oval. I also had a friend tell me he hated his oval ring because after a month or so of wear he couldn't get his bike to shift how he wanted. It shifted great once he put his stock ring back on. I haven't heard any other similar stories though.

Side note: though it may matter little to you, I find the oval chainring aesthetically mortifying.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 17:15 Quote
I did not want to run a pie plate in the rear, so this allowed me to run a 30t up front and a 45 out back, which gave me a variable geared 28-32 front.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
Oval seems less compatible with chain guides and bash guards. Also no biopace on my bikes and they work fine. I run steel round, direct mount, low number teeth for normal sized ( not pie plate 50+ teeth)cassettes. Because they cheap and bash is built in, last forever and climbing counts in my neck of the woods.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 6:57 Quote
I'm running oval, can't say it makes a massive difference, I think if you have a good pedalling cadence and spin rather than mash you don't gain much by going oval. When it wears out I'm going to swap it as it seems the max I can fit on my bike is a 32t oval, doesn't give enough top end speed imo...rather have a 34 or if I can fit a 36t normal chainring...it certainly doesn't make your bike suddenly climb like an e bike anyway, you'll notice change in crank arm length more than an oval chain ring, though if you are not constrained to fitting the size you want on your bike it's certainly not worse than a normal chainring either and if you tend to not have the best pedal technique it could potentially help.

FL
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 7:03 Quote
Absolute black oval as I had heard it was like having an extra 2 teeth, my frames limit is 36 but I wanted 38 so, perfect solution...
I noticed the difference immediately! It's a smoother cadence that puts out more power like you're up a gear or that extra 2 teeth up front but, first ride I was exhausted quicker for the same gear. so I had to gear down.
They definitely do what they claim but, weather that is beneficial or not I can't say

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
It helps those that don't have powerful legs. I have had 2 surgeries on my left knee, in the early 90's when I was young. One being ACL reconstruction. Never got to completely rehab, so the benefit of putting the power at the right spot in the stroke has helped me a lot. Legs are decently strong, but left is a weak point at a certain spot in the stroke.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:53 Quote
Thanks everybody for all your input.
This has given me lots to think about....but in the end, i will probably try it and worse that can happen is i swap my round back and sell one of you oval dudes my oval cheap!

THanks

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 15:26 Quote
The only thing I noticed was more grip on steep loose climbs, which was significant, I almost never spin out now. It didnt make me go up hills faster or easier, just more grip. The only downside is a 32 gives you a 34t chainring when the cranks are level which means less clearance.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
Spent a year on Oval and it made a small difference. You know when you stand up to mash the pedals downhill and oscillate the bike side-to-side? It feels more natural with the Oval.

If you're looking to fix any knee pain, I found that shorter cranks helped.

In the end, I'm back to round now, just because I think it looks better. I would just try it just to try it

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 7:31 Quote
sdken wrote:
Spent a year on Oval and it made a small difference. You know when you stand up to mash the pedals downhill and oscillate the bike side-to-side? It feels more natural with the Oval.

If you're looking to fix any knee pain, I found that shorter cranks helped.

In the end, I'm back to round now, just because I think it looks better. I would just try it just to try it

Yea I agree with this, the difference is negligible in most cases, it's there but not game changing if learn to spin rather than stomp the cranks, not to mention shorter cranls make it easier to spin rather than stomp anyway..

Also find the oval I'm using doesn't have the best tooth profile compare to oem chain rings, they tend to be more noisy, more draggy and get clogged with more crap, obviously this isn't an oval specific problem but more the fact aftermarket chainrings don't have as advanced tooth profiles and ideal chain compatability as say an XTR chainring etc.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
mine is no different, but I did not cheap out. What brand are you using? I am on a Wolf Tooth with Shimano 12 speed.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010480
Mobile Version of Website