Can you use less fork oil than recommended?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Can you use less fork oil than recommended?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 21:02 Quote
Hey guys, I was wondering if you can use less fork oil in your front fork than recommended? My fork is a 2016 Manitou Circus Expert if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
where?
Most Manitou lowers take 10mls in each leg, it could be close to dry after some riding time, so why would you want to use less?

If you mean the damper, running the oil too low can reduce lockout/compression damping.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
brianl wrote:
where?
Most Manitou lowers take 10mls in each leg, it could be close to dry after some riding time, so why would you want to use less?

If you mean the damper, running the oil too low can reduce lockout/compression damping.

Yes, I mean't to say damper. Does it matter or should you add the correct amount? Because my fork dried out a little and it below the recommended amount.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 12:15 Quote
depends how long, but it's not "normal" for the damper level to drop, much, might indicate a leak in the seal head

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
brianl wrote:
depends how long, but it's not "normal" for the damper level to drop, much, might indicate a leak in the seal head

No, it wasn't leaking, I was servicing the fork and a little spilled out. Should I buy fork oil and add some more? I just don't want to have to buy it if you don't need to.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 13:28 Quote
Why not get more oil? That way you know it's right and you've got some for next time it needs servicing.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
commental wrote:
Why not get more oil? That way you know it's right and you've got some for next time it needs servicing.

I just don't want to buy stuff I don't need.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
Oil's much cheaper than a new damper. Up to you if you want to risk it.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
commental wrote:
Oil's much cheaper than a new damper. Up to you if you want to risk it.

Okay, I'll look into it.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 14:46 Quote
1L of Maxima 5wt should be $10-15 at your local Moto dealer.

If the damper hasn't been serviced recently, it's best to dump out the current oil and refill with fresh, and the Manitou service manual gives oil heights to get the right level.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
brianl wrote:

If the damper hasn't been serviced recently, it's best to dump out the current oil and refill with fresh, and the Manitou service manual gives oil heights to get the right level.

Okay, is there anything else you can use for oil? I've heard some people use motor oil. Is that okay?

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
TakaP wrote:
brianl wrote:

Okay, is there anything else you can use for oil? I've heard some people use motor oil. Is that okay?

No, it's too viscous, it'd probably work in the lowers, but if you put it in the damper your fork won't perform as it should.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
commental wrote:
TakaP wrote:
brianl wrote:

No, it's too viscous, it'd probably work in the lowers, but if you put it in the damper your fork won't perform as it should.
Okay, thanks!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005675
Mobile Version of Website