2002 Monster T

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2002 Monster T
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
Hey guys,

I have a 2002 Monster T that I bought and had shipped from BC to Ontario.

I notice that when I compress the fork and let go afterwards, about 5-7mm of stanchion stays in the lowers. When I lift up the front wheel, the lowers slide back to full extension.

Called a shop to get an opinion of what causes this, and he said he thinks there might be some negative air trapped inside the fork.

Just wanted to get a second opinion on this. I would assume loosening both the stanchion top caps would fix this...

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
Springs sagging a bit with age? Can you adjust the preload on them? https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1587310/Marzocchi-Monster-T.html

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 11:56 Quote
Mountainfrog wrote:
Springs sagging a bit with age? Can you adjust the preload on them? https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1587310/Marzocchi-Monster-T.html

I'm about 165lbs and only get about 15% sag in the fork's current configuration. I can adjust the preload a bit but it's not a huge difference between the two adjustment extremes.

I took out the retaining rings under each adjuster and pushed down on the rebound adjusters and let out so pressure buildup in each stanchion. Seemed to help a little but still probably 3-4mm of movement when I lift up the front wheel after compressing the fork.

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
thats normal mate... heavy crowns and bike weigth on it.

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 5:01 Quote
Neg air, low oil, bad springs, leaky valves.....

Rebuilds aren't ridiculously-expensive - and when it comes to beauties like a vintage Monster.......man.....I'd let 'em go nuts - especially if it means another 20 years of service! Big Grin

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
Not sure about the 2002 Monsters, but my 2004 have a small allen head screw on top of the leg caps that you can undo to relieve pressure build up. Just be careful not to round off the head. There is a chance the forks went through a pressure change during flight.

For comparison, I have my 04's off the bike and they full extend with no weight on them. With any load they start to drop. I have to go with carreiro-12 about the bike weight.

Otherwise, as dood mentioned, servicing those forks is very simple. I was still able to get seals as of a few years ago. Only thing to know is those forks take a LOT of oil. Do it yourself or have a shop do a once over and ride those beasts for years to come.

Side note, I dropped down to 5wt oil when I started using the fork for DH instead of freeride and the forks really came alive and ate up EVERYTHING. A buddy of mine did the same and we both liked the result.

Happy riding.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

New seals came in, replaced em, cleaned up the inside and outsides of the fork (because we all know that the better something looks, the faster it is on the trail), and put in some fresh 7.5wt Golden Spectro, and man, these things feel better than my 2015 Pike's did! Of course these things weigh twice as much probably, but I really don't give much of a shit about that.

Check out my photo album on my 2009 Norco Manik build to see some pictures, although it was pre service on the fork.

I plan on keeping the Monster's for a long time, they're legendary as f*ck.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008513
Mobile Version of Website