KMC chains?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
So I was about to buy a spare chain and some brake pads in the hope of getting ahead of the mad rush on parts that'll be this summer, but I wasn't paying enough attention, and I can't find a chain now!

I have a sram nx groupset, but I can't find a gx, x01, or even xx1 for sale! the only think I can find are KMC chains marked to work with sram.

I haven't used these before, are they any good? I'm hesitant to not use SRAM, but I can't find anything else.

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 22:19 Quote
KMC are generally better than most.
XX1 gold is a seriously good chain and it lasts ages. the gold bling is just a bonus.

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 23:50 Quote
I use nothing else. Strongest chains out there. I used to race 4X so a strong chain was vital! The shifting isnt 100% as good as a group specific chain but, it's hardley noticable an the strength benifits are worth that.
I think? KMC make all shimano's chains

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
I just had to call every bike shop in my entire city to find a 12-speed chain.

Found a KMC x-12. Works great. Hopefully lasts longer than the GX chain I had.

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
I use nothing else. Strongest chains out there. I used to race 4X so a strong chain was vital! The shifting isnt 100% as good as a group specific chain but, it's hardley noticable an the strength benifits are worth that.
I think? KMC make all shimano's chains

KMC only makes the low-end Shimano chains, not their high-end stuff. It's been a couple years since I last looked up the specifics but, at the time, KMC wasn't even producing 12sp chains for Shimano. Typically, shimano keeps brand new tech away from 3rd-party suppliers. Couldn't tell you for how long, though, nor if KMC is making any Shimano 12sp stuff this year.

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
Been running KMC forever, they're great.

PC-XX1 seems to be the best chain you can buy right now. They seem to shift better than the highest end KMC DLC and manage to be about half the price. No worthy complaints about either from me.

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
Thanks for all the input. I ended up finding an x01 at a local shop, so I ended up with that. I'll probably try a KMC next time I need one.

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
Srams chains are vastly superior, particularly XX1 Eagle...having owned one on my last bike I can confirm this.

But to see how much better an XX1 Eagle chain is than KMC just read this article or jump to the graphs. I never replaced my Eagle XX1 chain, it's super strong and wear resistant..generally I am a Shimano fan, I think their shifting is better than Sram and Shimano is what I am running now, but I won't lie, the durability of XX1 Eagle is insane in regards to the chain and cassette... In terms of the Sram derailleurs however, they leave something to be desired.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
I've had ones that lasted years, and ones that exploded multiple times within a few month's time. They're chains, if they're all you can find they'll work.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 12:59 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Srams chains are vastly superior, particularly XX1 Eagle...having owned one on my last bike I can confirm this.

But to see how much better an XX1 Eagle chain is than KMC just read this article or jump to the graphs. I never replaced my Eagle XX1 chain, it's super strong and wear resistant..generally I am a Shimano fan, I think their shifting is better than Sram and Shimano is what I am running now, but I won't lie, the durability of XX1 Eagle is insane in regards to the chain and cassette... In terms of the Sram derailleurs however, they leave something to be desired.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

Based on my experience and many others, gx and up Derailleurs are far more reliable than the Shimano counterpart, i've smashed two XT RD in april already BUT the shifting is better than Sram 100%.
i've never broken a gx but broke the hanger.

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
I always pay extra for the gold Ti KMC chains. Gold chain on a black or red bike is a fire look.

I run KMC exclusively. Every time I end up buying a SRAM chain (usually just needed one and couldn't get a KMC chain) it ends up snapping on me.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006428
Mobile Version of Website