Tallboy 2021 Headset problems.

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Tallboy 2021 Headset problems.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
I have had my new 2021 Santa Cruz tallboy for just a month now. Within the first 2 weeks of use, I had issues with loud creaks under heavy braking, jumps, and even the occasional bunny hop. I’ve taken apart the headset multiple times, and I have greased it a ton. I still end up with loud creaks, and almost popping noises. My headset has not been loose either. I contacted Santa Cruz, and they recommended that I take it into a Santa Cruz dealer. Any suggestions before i do so?

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 5:17 Quote
Might not be the headset, could be a creaking fork csu.

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
Are you running the stock headset spacers?

Those things are junk. If you ride in normally dusty condition those "carbon" spacers will collect dust like a mofo and make the most horrible noises just as you described. I'd do a throughout cleaning and then swap in some Wolf Tooth headset spacers. Had the same problem on both my Nomad 3 and Tallboy 3 and it took care of it.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
dstn617 wrote:
Are you running the stock headset spacers?

Those things are junk. If you ride in normally dusty condition those "carbon" spacers will collect dust like a mofo and make the most horrible noises just as you described. I'd do a throughout cleaning and then swap in some Wolf Tooth headset spacers. Had the same problem on both my Nomad 3 and Tallboy 3 and it took care of it.

I’m still on the stock case on spacers so I’ll give it a try with some alloy ones. Thanks

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 11:45 Quote
A light greasing of all the spacers will solve it, if that is the issue.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
Weird, I have never experienced headset spacer noise, but now I will for sure be aware...dang it guys. Haha

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
Tommy-Parod wrote:
I have had my new 2021 Santa Cruz tallboy for just a month now. Within the first 2 weeks of use, I had issues with loud creaks under heavy braking, jumps, and even the occasional bunny hop. I’ve taken apart the headset multiple times, and I have greased it a ton. I still end up with loud creaks, and almost popping noises. My headset has not been loose either. I contacted Santa Cruz, and they recommended that I take it into a Santa Cruz dealer. Any suggestions before i do so?

Did the new spacers solve the problem?
I have the same problem on hard compressions. It sounds like the carbon is breaking (a loud snap) but no visible cracks in the frame. I have tried putting 3 shims in the headset and it got better, but not good enough. Put a thicker compression ring in now but have not tested it yet.

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 18:58 Quote
Banda18 wrote:
this

Posted: Oct 2, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
Taildragger wrote:
Banda18 wrote:
this

Yeah, this will be the next thing to check.
The thicker compression ring did not make it better.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005708
Mobile Version of Website