Vintage MTB to gravel/adventure bike

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Vintage MTB to gravel/adventure bike
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
Picked up this ‘95 schwinn frame to replace my Trek frame. Swapped all the parts over from the build. I need to add a tensioner as the gearing with magic ratio is just too much so I ordered up a Rohloff.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
mrfrench2013 wrote:
Picked up this ‘95 schwinn frame to replace my Trek frame. Swapped all the parts over from the build. I need to add a tensioner as the gearing with magic ratio is just too much so I ordered up a Rohloff.

Beautiful!

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 12:45 Quote

Swapped out the 42t for a 38t chainring and the 60mm 30d for a 70mm 30d stem.

Very happy with the results!

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 4:26 Quote
mrfrench2013 wrote:

awesome build....! Looks like it's in incredible shape.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 0:18 Quote
Nice bikes!!

My GT is still going strong and is building up mileage.
The cantilevers aren't as strong as I would've like, but I don't know if the brake pads aren't responsible for that. Maybe I will try to fit V-Brakes instead.

Keep riding!!

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Check out sheldon browns website about bike maintenance, there is a very detailed article about cantis. I thought the same but a few tweaks here and there and they are plenty powerful. My top three issues that I fixed were new cables/housings, proper bridge cable height, and most importantly pads setup with some toe in.
Careca78 wrote:
Nice bikes!!

The cantilevers aren't as strong as I would've like, but I don't know if the brake pads aren't responsible for that. Maybe I will try to fit V-Brakes instead.

Keep riding!!

^^^ agreed...patience when setting them up goes a long way as well.

I picked up some Kool-stop salmon pads for mine. They grip really well and no issues with power. I'm getting a bit of howl when lightly applying the rear so I still have a bit of tweaking to do. It lessens as the pads get some heat in them but I know I have to further fine-tune the pad angles.

Careca78 wrote:
Nice bikes!!

Keep riding!!

V-brakes are long pull cable brakes versus short pull on cantis so if you decide to go that route you are going to either need new brake levers or something like Problem Solvers Travel Agents.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008537
Mobile Version of Website