Vintage MTB to gravel/adventure bike

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Vintage MTB to gravel/adventure bike
FL
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 13:30 Quote
Quick question about bars, I’ve never built a gravel bike before…When I’m looking for brake levers for drop bars are there different sizes or are they all the same diameter clamp to fit the bull horn part?

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 13:53 Quote
I've never thought twice about lever clamp ID vs. drop-bar drop diam OD when considering lever and bar combos and I've mish-mashed a wide variety of vintage/new-ish/new combos trying to configure a cockpit. They've all worked together. .

I'm thinking the diam of the drop part is pretty standard. I'm sure someone with moar 'sperience can confirm/correct that.

FL
Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
I wasn’t sure it would/should be an issue anyway but I only asked as when I was adding stuff to my basket on chainreaction it had options for sizes which has totally confused me.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 13:43 Quote
Unless your bars are something weird like the Soma Gator which is made for mtb controls, they should all be the same size.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
McArdle wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
McArdle wrote:
For my gravel build I’m using DMR moto digger tyres, they roll surprisingly well on road as well as being super grippy for off the beaten track. 26” x2.1, not too wide but just enough.

I used those in 2.35 on my 26in gravel build.

Pics of the build?

photo

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 15:18 Quote
Hey everyone. I'm new to vintage/ retro bikes. Was recently given a 88' Shogun Trail Breaker in really great shape. Was looking to convert it to a bikepacking/ gravel rig. Any tips would be appreciated.

FL
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 14:45 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
McArdle wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:

I used those in 2.35 on my 26in gravel build.

Pics of the build?

photo

Nice!

Posted: Sep 28, 2022 at 14:27 Quote
810Homan wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm new to vintage/ retro bikes. Was recently given a 88' Shogun Trail Breaker in really great shape. Was looking to convert it to a bikepacking/ gravel rig. Any tips would be appreciated.

Stick with the cantis / u brake to make your life simple. Get some friction bar end shifters and some nice dirt drop bars. Then get a really long stem - a nitto technomic or dirt drop will work for a threaded headset. If you're running threadless a VO Cygne stem will work well. Get some used drop bar brake levers, cables, housing and you're off to the races.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
Careca78 wrote:
The bike is finally done!
I've managed to keep the weight at 12,5kg and cost under 300€.

Frame/Fork: GT Timberline 1993
Crankset: Sugino (something from 1997)
Brake levers/shifters: 3x7 Microshift R473 (NEW)
Brakes: Shimano cantilever
Tyres: Schwalbe CX COMP Active cross tyre 26x2,0 (NEW)
Stem: Brand-X Road Stem 90mm (NEW)
Headset: Brand-X (NEW)
Quill Adaptor: Brand-X (NEW)
Handlebar: Ritchey Comp Venturemax 44cm
Seatpost: Onoff
Front Derailleur: Shimano Exage
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Exage
Wheels: Shimano Exage hubs with Sun rims

photo

photo

May I ask why you changed the front crank? I am doing a similar build, and wondering if I might need to change my crankset as well.

I'm converting my stock 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport to drop bars. I have Shimano Exage front and rear derailleurs and ordered some Microshift R473's after reading your post saying they are compatible. (Fingers crossed that everything works!). So is there any specific reason you changed the front crank? I believe my front chainrings are 26/36/46 and the rear cassette is 11-32t if that is relevant.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 0:45 Quote
I've changed the crankset only because it was in my parts bin (no money spent), I liked this one better and this one has less teeth to compensate for my less the stellar physical condition...

If you're not planing on super steep climbs and if your crank is in good condition than you should keep it, and you also get a bonus of having a full Shimano Exage build, instead of a mixed bag of parts.

What I strongly suggest is to try a lot stem lengths until you feel comfortable. I started with a 90mm and ended up with a 60mm from the parts bin. The same goes with the tire choice, I started with 2.0" Schwalbe and ended up with 2.35" Mavic Crossroc from another bike.... and this is all part of the fun of playing around with this old bikes.

I'm looking forward for some pictures of your build!

jonathanhess80 wrote:

May I ask why you changed the front crank? I am doing a similar build, and wondering if I might need to change my crankset as well.

I'm converting my stock 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport to drop bars. I have Shimano Exage front and rear derailleurs and ordered some Microshift R473's after reading your post saying they are compatible. (Fingers crossed that everything works!). So is there any specific reason you changed the front crank? I believe my front chainrings are 26/36/46 and the rear cassette is 11-32t if that is relevant.

Thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 21:50 Quote
trying to convert the same crank set shown in the pic of my bike on the last page to 1x, but the bcd seems to be very small. I have tried to measure it with templates, but it does not line up with anything. Did any on you run into this issue? also the triple is one piece so cant use it.

Posted: Jan 8, 2023 at 6:14 Quote
the BCD does look quite small...

The cranks on mine are the original ones, and were a triple. I just removed the rings I didn't want (the two smaller ones....). You're saying you can't do that on this one ?

I can't really see the cranks well enough to understand how all the pieces are put together. maybe add some closeups ??

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2023 at 8:48 Quote
yea the three rings are all one solid steel piece unfortunately. I am just going to buy a new cheap 1x crankset. i did some math and the bcd is around 64, and i cant find any 30 or 32 tooth narrow wide rings that small.

Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 9:44 Quote
Just found this topic, my 2 convertions of the past year:

Sold the specialized because it was too big... Giant is for sale as well because it is too small Rolleyes

photo

photo

photo

Giant:

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 15:57 Quote
oooo i want that rockhopper frame haha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024083
Mobile Version of Website