Family MTB van recommendations

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Family MTB van recommendations
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 1, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
I've looked through the forums for the past two weeks and seen plenty of advice for people looking for the best vehicle for MTB but some are a few years out of date so I thought I'd ask again. I need a family vehicle that can fit 4 people, 4 MTBs and a bunch of the kit. I want all bikes inside (i.e. not rack) and safely secured. Happy to take off front wheels but no further disassembly. Got to be comfortable to drive and reliable but wary of the currently overpriced options out there at the moment (i.e vw transporter).

I'm thinking that a SWB is not an option but happy to be proved wrong. Wife wants/ needs automatic and parking sensors but I might be able to convince her to manage manual.

I like the idea of a Vito perhaps, but not sure if L2 would be big enough. Pretty pricey as well at around £20-22K for a 3 year old with decent mileage. Anyone using a V Class able to fit 4 MTBs in the back?

Both are cheaper option than the equivalent VW right now - looking at minimum £26K for a 5 year shuttle LWB with 40K miles which seems too much to pay right now.

Any suggestions, pics or even sales, I'd be happy to hear!

Cheers

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 18:27 Quote
could you buy an old walfare/crew/mess van? then rip out some of the stuff in the back? they usually have 4 seats in the back with belts fitted and heaters/hot water/240V etc..

id be tempted by a medium or a high roof so you can stand up easily inside but then you have to watch out for height restrictions on car parks.

if you want massive then an Iveco daily or a sprinter is your best bet. or a MAN TGE but im not on their prices.
my friend has an automatic Vauxhall vivaro with a row of 4 seats in the back and windows in the sliding doors.
personally I would see if the bikes would fit sideways in the van with the front wheel removed. then I would build a lift up platform that could span the gap above them. id probably use an ottoman bed frame mechanism.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 5:18 Quote
You're probably not going to like the answer, but there's a reason that every other space in the car park at any trail centre has a VW Transporter in...

I've got a SWB, and fit our family of 4 and our bikes in without taking wheels off. But my kids are 5 and 2, and the biggest bike is a size M frame. I also use it as my daily driver.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004722
Mobile Version of Website