Norco Optic - DPX2 vs Super Deluxe Ultimate DH

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Optic - DPX2 vs Super Deluxe Ultimate DH
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2021 at 5:44 Quote
Hey!
So i am out looking for a trailbike. I have my eyes on the optic and the stumpjumper.
For the Optic, I must admit that I do not see any points in the C2 vs the C3, especially since I have a Fox 36 fork grip on my HT at home that I can swap for the pike if the pike feels a bit limited (from what I see on some reviews).

Now my only question is around the rear shock. I see that the DPX2 is now on the higher models. Only think I can see is that it has a lockout compared to the DH and that the C2 and C3 have been build for harder downhill riding.

Does anyone feel they need the lockout on the Optic? From the reviews on the 2020, everyone feel they were good climbers....

I climb with mondraker dune 27, nukeproof mega 27 180mm front and a nbritango hardtail 29 now, and I never got a huge issue riding up (apart from making the 29er rolls).

As well, any real improvement on the downhill with the previous DPX2?

Thanks.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
You probably mean just Super Deluxe Ultimate and not the DH? Don't think the DH has shocks small enough for an Optic.

edit: nvm the C3 and C2 SRAM really lists DH in the spec, which is weird considering the SRAM site doesn't list sizes even close to that what fits the Optic. Maybe it's a custom version then. Anyway, I don't think dpx2 will limit how far you can push Optic at all. I also doubt you'd need a lockout switch on Optic, don't really need it on my Sight even.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 23:17 Quote
I have about 600km on a 2020 Optic C2, and have never felt the need to lockout rear suspension.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 0:01 Quote
flickr wrote:
You probably mean just Super Deluxe Ultimate and not the DH? Don't think the DH has shocks small enough for an Optic.

edit: nvm the C3 and C2 SRAM really lists DH in the spec, which is weird considering the SRAM site doesn't list sizes even close to that what fits the Optic. Maybe it's a custom version then. Anyway, I don't think dpx2 will limit how far you can push Optic at all. I also doubt you'd need a lockout switch on Optic, don't really need it on my Sight even.

All V1 Optics came with this custom tuned / sized SD DH. It was a big part of the marketing. I was actually a bit surprised when they started offering other shocks.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 3:36 Quote
flickr wrote:

I am not wondering if the DPX2 will limit me, I am just wondering if the DPX2 is better than the DH in any way, since it it is the version on the higher spec bikes now Smile But all the tests were done on the Super Deluxe Ultimate DH....
njcbps wrote:
I have about 600km on a 2020 Optic C2, and have never felt the need to lockout rear suspension.
Great news, thanks for the feedback!
militantmandy wrote:
All V1 Optics came with this custom tuned / sized SD DH. It was a big part of the marketing. I was actually a bit surprised when they started offering other shocks.
Surprising indeed, and the question is if this is a TOP or a FLOP the DPX2 Big Grin

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 0:48 Quote
I asked Norco about the difference, they said that the fox is custom tune too, but without getting into much detail, and say buy whatever you can get because they sell fast.

Dealer next to mine got a C3 so I went for it, May just swith to my 36 Grip or get a RC2 charger.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 1:03 Quote
dontridethisline wrote:
I asked Norco about the difference, they said that the fox is custom tune too, but without getting into much detail, and say buy whatever you can get because they sell fast.

Dealer next to mine got a C3 so I went for it, May just swith to my 36 Grip or get a RC2 charger.

I spent most early 2020 trying to buy an Optic. The only UK dealer was Evans and they were utterly useless. I ended up with a really nice bike, but I still lust after an Optic. Looks like an amazing bike, hope you enjoy it!

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 7:53 Quote
So after 1 week with the optic, I am having the most fun I ever had on a bike! I switched back to the nukeproof mega for an afternoon at the bikepark, I feel more comfortable riding the Optic. I am just careful while riding it, because any unplanned obstacle like a stone hitting the rear wheel, you can totally feel it. Otherwise this trail is a blast, so fast you van even have fun of trail that are slightly uphill, pop crazy, corner like a best, endo are just so much easier now. I am in love.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 16:17 Quote
dontridethisline wrote:
So after 1 week with the optic, I am having the most fun I ever had on a bike!

Good news. I've been riding mine since Dec 2020 and also enjoying ... very capable bike. My previous bike was a 2002 Gary Fisher 26" (71.5 HTA lol) so I have no modern bike to compare with Optic. I think I'd go for something with more travel for next bike (150/140), but that's my only very minor issue.

Posted: May 26, 2021 at 11:41 Quote
What's funny, there is a guy on the German forum that switched the SDeluxe for a CC DB in-line and really liked it. I have the C3 with DPX2, while i find it ok it seems to lack mid travel but maybe that's because of the only 125 mm of travel. As well for longer fire roads I always use the lockout, it really helps to reduce the pedal Bob almost completely.

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 7:16 Quote
I dont feel like I need to lockout, but I learned a couple of year ago to pedal without jumping around the bike, just moving the legs, maybe helps.
The 125mm are a problem at slower sleep I find, as soon as you hammer the place down, it just flows over.
Not sure about getting another shock, the whole point of the bike is to get a good tuned one on stock.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 1:45 Quote
dontridethisline wrote:
I dont feel like I need to lockout, but I learned a couple of year ago to pedal without jumping around the bike, just moving the legs, maybe helps.
The 125mm are a problem at slower sleep I find, as soon as you hammer the place down, it just flows over.
Not sure about getting another shock, the whole point of the bike is to get a good tuned one on stock.

My 2021 Optic C2 with DPX2 shock has 2 negative volume spacers. That kind of explains the harsh feeling on little bumps while its smooth on the big/fast ones. It also raises anti squat. I will take them out within the next weeks to see, what difference it will make. Just curious Smile

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 4:35 Quote
Hi Rolli,

Did you shop tuned the shock ?

From stock it should have only one 0.6" volume spacer : 0.6in^3 Light Blue

Even on Norco website they say this :

Stock air volume is 0.6VS

I'll open my DPX2 later today as I wan't to check what is inside, as I feel on medium size jumps/drops I'm blowing through travel at 250 PSI and 85 KGs.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 21:58 Quote
Hey, no, so far, I didn't change any of the spacers from stocktune.
My Optic is an xl frame. It also came with the blue 0.6 volumereducer in the airchamber but with those 2 red negativevolumereducers. Looks kind of weird, as they have quite some volume which schuld reduce the negativevolume quite a bit. Will definitly give it a try without them!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005593
Mobile Version of Website