Dufftown / Keith (Moray) Scotland riding locations

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Dufftown / Keith (Moray) Scotland riding locations
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2021 at 7:30 Quote
So, the boss is visiting friends in Keith for a week and asked me to come along (more like she doesn’t want to drive that far).
So I’m looking for advice on riding spots and trails.

I’ve found a few using Trailforks, there appears to be a few small trails just outside Keith but maybe not enough to keep me entertained for very long.
I’m thinking of doing a day in Fort William, it’s still a fairly long drive but probably the only chance I will get to check it out.

Aviemore, Lagan/wolf tracks, anywhere else?
I’m happy to ride downhill, technical trails, trail centres / off piste stuff or big day adventures.

Any areas I should look at?

Thanks.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 4:35 Quote
Laggan is great and there's some fantastic natural trails across the road on the opposite hill which should be on Trailforks. High Burnside just on the edge of Aviemore is another great place to check out.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 1:10 Quote
Thanks, think I’ve got a good week planned with a great mix of riding. Looking forward to it.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 3:19 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
Laggan is great and there's some fantastic natural trails across the road on the opposite hill which should be on Trailforks. High Burnside just on the edge of Aviemore is another great place to check out.

What he said! High Burnside is particularly ace. Nazi Gold was superb if pretty full on. If you're up that way, might also be worth checking out Lairig Ghru. Just do the fun bit though, the rest is a pain in the arse. You can knock out the fun bit in a couple of hours.

Posted: May 26, 2021 at 22:50 Quote
Thanks, High Burnside is definitely on the list.
I’d heard of Lairig Ghru from years ago but when I did a little research sounded like an awful lot of hike a bike up and down, more carrying than riding so had pretty much dismissed it. Which section is the fun bit?

Posted: May 27, 2021 at 0:33 Quote
infesta wrote:
Thanks, High Burnside is definitely on the list.
I’d heard of Lairig Ghru from years ago but when I did a little research sounded like an awful lot of hike a bike up and down, more carrying than riding so had pretty much dismissed it. Which section is the fun bit?

It's the bit called "Lairig Ghru Decent" on Trailforks. There's no hike a bike required. The full route has many sections that are not rideable....I wouldn't recommend unless you're really up for a big adventure. The Lairig Ghru Decent can be knocked out in a couple of hours, climb included.

You could also look at Ballater. Heartbreak Ridge is amazing (especially on a nice day) as is Mastermind.

ETA - if you're into jumping Glenlivet Estate (Tomintoul) has an amazing jump line. The other trails are so-so, but the jump line is proper. Great cafe as well.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 2:51 Quote
Thanks for info,
The week looks to be shaping up quite well.
Morray Monster trails (said I would take my mates lad for a ride).
Laggan Wolftrax
Aviemore / High Burnside
Golspie (maybe)
Bennachie
Ballater
Glen More / Ben Mcdui (for adventure)
Fort William (because it’s Fort William)

I don’t doubt this is overly ambitious but you have to think big Smile

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 5:09 Quote
infesta wrote:
Thanks for info,
The week looks to be shaping up quite well.
Morray Monster trails (said I would take my mates lad for a ride).
Laggan Wolftrax
Aviemore / High Burnside
Golspie (maybe)
Bennachie
Ballater
Glen More / Ben Mcdui (for adventure)
Fort William (because it’s Fort William)

I don’t doubt this is overly ambitious but you have to think big Smile

Sounds like a great week! Hopefully you get the weather for it.

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 0:46 Quote
Aye, looks like a cracking week. Hope you’ve got the legs for it

Bennachie used to be my local hill and has some great new trails in the lower down south side woods as well as the older rockier stuff higher up, and Heartbreak Ridge at Ballater has just had a month of trail maintenance completed so should be riding well now that the weather has also improved.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010323
Mobile Version of Website