I need better Brakes

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
My bike started off as a 2016 Rocky Thunderbolt 710. The only thing that is left from the old 710 is the M355 brakes. I did put a 180mm rotor on the frt. Today the trail was super fast and my brakes just seemed to be holding me back. I don’t want to dump a bunch of money into new brakes because I might only keep the bike another year. Would buying a used set of xt brakes or something similar make much of a difference.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
You could try either new pads or cooking the old, plumbing torch or oven. Clean rotor with alcohol. Straighten with a crescent wrench if needed. Bleed. Bed them smoothly without locking up. If you have serious tires and ride heavy downhill routes, the demand will be much more extreme regardless of bike type. Braking technique is also very important. You probably already know stabing and letting off vs riding/dragging is key, and feel (listen) for traction. Tire give much more control on the edge of traction vs skidding and slow you much more. Some spots just give more effective braking and pick and choose where you horse on the levers. Bouncy rocky sections should be floated, not great spots for braking. I have ridden substandard brakes for years, one of my bikes is on v brakes. You have to be conscious of what you have to work with, especially late in a long downhill when they are good and hot. I have poored water on smokin discs just to get out after dark when no longer cared low blood sugar freezing to death. Used xt are probably a waste of money. My xtr are what i call road bike brakes... Codes and butch tires with big rotors are noisy till warmed up or wet, but they give real results in my experience. A tune up may be the ticket, and cheap. Id start with what ya got since you are selling later.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
Thanks, some great tips. I have been through them recently. New pads early this year. Everything is working 100%. I think I’m looking for something that has a a little more variance.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 12:27 Quote
So just a thought, unless you're going to spend 10k on your next bike it's probably going to come with crappy brakes as well. If you decided to buy something decent brakes wise you can swap them over to your next bike and sell whatever comes on it as like new takeoffs.

I would hazard against buying used XT unless they're a year old or less. The pistons in the caliper are made of cheap plastic and start binding over time. Also on the masters the guide plate for the plunger pivot occasionally fails as they get older and is not replaceable. Add the wandering bite point issue that many people complain about and I'm not sure you're getting good value unless you can find a really good deal.

I ended up buying Magura MT5. The master is made of plastic and they can be a pain in the ass to bleed, but once you get them working they are really good and they've held up in a few crashes. I think they're probably the best value you will find without spending twice as much, but they're still not cheap. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 7:05 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
So just a thought, unless you're going to spend 10k on your next bike it's probably going to come with crappy brakes as well. If you decided to buy something decent brakes wise you can swap them over to your next bike and sell whatever comes on it as like new takeoffs.

I would hazard against buying used XT unless they're a year old or less. The pistons in the caliper are made of cheap plastic and start binding over time. Also on the masters the guide plate for the plunger pivot occasionally fails as they get older and is not replaceable. Add the wandering bite point issue that many people complain about and I'm not sure you're getting good value unless you can find a really good deal.

I ended up buying Magura MT5. The master is made of plastic and they can be a pain in the ass to bleed, but once you get them working they are really good and they've held up in a few crashes. I think they're probably the best value you will find without spending twice as much, but they're still not cheap. Good luck with whatever you decide!

That’s what I decided. I’m gonna get something good and transfer them to the next bike. Thanks

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 20:05 Quote
Artjr wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:

That’s what I decided. I’m gonna get something good and transfer them to the next bike. Thanks
MT5s and new rotors on the way.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 20:42 Quote
Artjr wrote:
MT5s and new rotors on the way.

Nice! Are you going to bleed them yourself or take them to a shop? They are definitely a bit trickier to bleed than Shimano but once you get the hang of it they are no big deal. They took me 3-4 tries the first time I did it last season, but got them both on the first try this year. For whatever reason it seems like a lot of air gets trapped in the master and that it can be difficult to get it out.

If you run into trouble bleeding them feel free to send me a PM and I can do my best to explain why I struggled with them and how I dealt with it. OH and the most important warning is that the plastic screw that seals the master requires virtually no torque to tighten and is easy to strip. It's snug plus a hair, or there's probably a torque spec too lol. But yeah just be careful not to strip that screw.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 7:18 Quote
Formula Cura. I sold shimano xt 4 pots and bought formula cura 2 pot. I love them. The bite point is on point , levers feels awesome and stopping power for 2 pots its incredible. They came around 270€ with everything included only rotors i went with galfers.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:

Thanks, very much appreciated.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 18:00 Quote
Got them, I wanted to change the MT5 blades. Ended up on Jensen and just order Shimano ZEE levers instead for $29.00 each. Shigura !

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004890
Mobile Version of Website