Rockshox Zeb Ultimate Charger 2.1 LSC/HSC knob stuck

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rockshox Zeb Ultimate Charger 2.1 LSC/HSC knob stuck
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
Hi,

I have an Rockshox Zeb Ultimate that i bought last year. Been working smooth and eating up all the rough. But was at a weekend trip shreading some gnarly rock gardens here in Norway. Wanted to add some LSC and HSC and notices the knobs wont go more that 2-3 clicks and when I turn LSC it takes the HSC with it.

What has happend? And what do I need to do?
PS! two services since I got it and Rebound seems to work as intended.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 23:54 Quote
I found the problem. I got a friend who has the SRAM Charger bleedkit, so we started with taking the thing apart.
The needle under LSC dial was wet and muddy.....like how is that possible? Cleaned everything and made sure that every seal was grease on. Now the dial is buttery smooth and I can feel the change of LSC/HSC.

We never touched the Charger part when doing service. Just cleaned it on the outside, but would thought that after 1 year the fork would managed to keep mud out of HSC/LSC system/dial? Anyone else experienced this?

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 2:19 Quote
Nice that you found a way to solve your problem! Never heard of this before, but I am not riding so often in very muddy conditions, I guess it depends a lot on that?

I have a question: did you install this Zeb on your jeffsy? If so, how do you like it? Isn't that a bit too much, a bit heavy on the front? Travel?

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 5:31 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Nice that you found a way to solve your problem! Never heard of this before, but I am not riding so often in very muddy conditions, I guess it depends a lot on that?

I have a question: did you install this Zeb on your jeffsy? If so, how do you like it? Isn't that a bit too much, a bit heavy on the front? Travel?

Yeah i'm really glad I found out of it. The fork cost so much that it would be ashame to buy new charger 2.1 after only one year.

Yes the Jeffsy got the Zeb installed last year. I'm on the heavy side (220lbs/100Kg), so the Fox 34 Rhythm was hell to get dialed pluss insane flex. Change out the fork and put on a 230x65 Rockshox Delux coil in the back. Now the bike is nice to climb and can send the most gnarly stuff. One bike to rule them all, since I can't afford a downhill bike right now.

FL
Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 3:30 Quote
Please could explain what you did?

The needle under LSC dial was wet and muddy.....like how is that possible? Cleaned everything and made sure that every seal was grease on. Now the dial is buttery smooth and I can feel the change of LSC/HSC.

I've taken the dial cap off and both the LSC and HSC and clean what I could see, the top of the LSC looks like a 4mm socket.

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 5:49 Quote
@bikerbazza

I had to remove the knobs and take out the Charger 2.1.
Had to clean it all out because it had gotten dirty water down in the Charger Bladder.

The reason the water had managed to get down was because a rubber seal in the LSC/HSC speed knob was not there.
It should have been there. (Fault from fabric as i never had dissabled beforhand).

https://cyclinic.com.au/products/rockshox-rc2-charger2-1-comp-knob-kit-zeb-ultimate

FL
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 10:35 Quote
Whitesp0t wrote:
@bikerbazza

I had to remove the knobs and take out the Charger 2.1.
Had to clean it all out because it had gotten dirty water down in the Charger Bladder.

The reason the water had managed to get down was because a rubber seal in the LSC/HSC speed knob was not there.
It should have been there. (Fault from fabric as i never had dissabled beforhand).

https://cyclinic.com.au/products/rockshox-rc2-charger2-1-comp-knob-kit-zeb-ultimate

Sorry to jump in but I'm having the same problem. My LSC no longer clicks and has zero resistance, and water has been getting in and contaminating the oil. Just had a look and it seems I'm also missing a seal!

Although in the link you posted the O-ring's look a different size. Does an O-ring fit in the outer groove on the underside of the LSC knob?

photo

Hopefully that photo links ok.

Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 1:20 Quote
Jupp. That's right. I was missing the O-ring on the LSC knob. That seal does so its waterproof in the middle of the HSC knob and then down to the bladder etc. After fixing this I can report that the problem is solved.

FL
Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 11:14 Quote
Whitesp0t wrote:
Jupp. That's right. I was missing the O-ring on the LSC knob. That seal does so its waterproof in the middle of the HSC knob and then down to the bladder etc. After fixing this I can report that the problem is solved.

Ah, great. Thanks for the info. I'll have to try and find an O-ring that'll do the job. Did you follow a video/instructions to take apart and clean the damper? Bleeding seems fairly straightforward but unsure about how to disassemble the damper for cleaning in order to get the LSC clicking again.

Posted: Oct 23, 2022 at 22:53 Quote
I have a friend who knows these Rockshox forks and dampers in and out. Asked him for help and he cleaned it up for me.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011697
Mobile Version of Website