Tubeless Pinch-Flat

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Tubeless Pinch-Flat
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
OK so I got this pinch flat on my rear tire. JUST barely enough room by the rim to squeeze in TWO Stan's darts (it took two). Worked? sort-of, held pressure, kept checking it in my garage, lost about 5 or so psi each day, so I could've ridden it but wasn't taking that in the woods for a rough ride like this.

Replaced the tire w/a DHR2, I'm good now, love it.

QUESTION: Instead of using a tube IF I ever want to use the tire again, could I possibly FIX the pinch flat by taking the darts out, patching it with a piece of rubber or one of those Park Tool tire boot (I think they call it) or SOMETHING? Could it hold pressure while tubeless still if that's "patched" or is it hopeless?

BTW- The tire that got pinched was a 29 x 2.6 Purgatory, on a carbon Roval 30mm rim.

Thanks, in advance,

~JSV

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 1:12 Quote
I always just use the tube repair patches with the rubber cement on tubeless tires. I’ve put a few hundred miles on a tire with no issues this way. I think those park took tire boots are “temporary “ but they may work as well.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
I've used inner tube patches on splits and pinch flats many times and they've proved to out live the tyre.
It's all about the prep before patching.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 15:33 Quote
I've used the road bike tire type glue patches in the past also. Clean the inside thoroughly, rough it up, glue patch in place.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
Awesome. Good news.

Ok so I'm not so crazy for wanting to try it. I'd just prefer to run it tubeless still if I use that tire again. I'll probably give it a shot anyway, nothing to lose, and maybe it'll hold pressure just fine. Sounds like it'll work. Thanks for all the advice and testimonials!

It's funny, there are 40million tutorials on fixing EVERY kind of flat EXCEPT for fixing sidewall pinch flat on a tubeless, and we've all had this happen.

BTW - I love THIS thing! -->

~JSV

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
It does work fine. My ex-girlfriend ran super low tire pressure and wore through the sidewalls where air was leaking out all the time. I used the larger patches on as many as three or four areas. Never did convince her that her tire pressure or seat was too low. I miss her, ha, ha.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
See now it's ironic that no other place I discussed this did anyone offer that option.

ONCE AGAIN, and I've said it here like 100 times, PB forums=best place for advice.

~JSV

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005169
Mobile Version of Website